Thursday, December 18, 2008

So the end of the "tapout" is off to an interesting start...


First, some music from Bob Dylan, who is from the home state of the women who is the subject of this post:



You may not find a bigger fan of Jimi Hendrix than me, but I’m severely torn between which version of All Along the Watchtower I prefer, but that’s another debate for another day.

When I announced the end of my “tapout” to the millions and millions of my blog readers, I made a promise to take any opportunity to expand my social horizons and that includes dating. Plus, I get to spread the love of Marcel, which everyone should have a chance at.

Of course, there are some like Roberta, who was offered an opportunity yesterday and blew it today because she said that guys are stupid and I’m not down with that, so it’s a wrap.

However, I made my first attempt at trying to legitimately ask a girl out on a date.

It was Julie, who has been mentioned on this blog in the past. Read here for some background info: http://pourtoutpancakes.blogspot.com/2008/09/sunday-reflections_21.html

We’re friends and have gotten to know each other over the past year. I’ve always liked her, we share come common interests, she’s cute and wanted to go out with her. I was out on Saturday night and we ran into each other and had a nice chat. I then realized that she would be someone that I would like to break the tapout with.

My plan was to ask her out for this weekend when I finally have some free time. I saw her and we were talking about stuff and I asked her what she was doing this weekend. Since it’s the holiday season, she is heading out of town so that killed that idea.

So then I told Julie that when she gets back into town that we should get together and do something, maybe bowling.

OK, I have to explain the bowling mention. I officially ended the tapout on Saturday night and on Sunday morning, I saw my incredibly attractive neighbor at the laundry and told her that I wanted to ask Julie out and what would be a nice first date suggestion. I wanted to have an activity to mention to Julie when I asked her out because I wanted to sound assertive, which the ladies apparently love. So my neighbor told me that I should invite her to bowling because its an activity that you can talk about and not be bored with.

I tell Julie this and she tells me that yes, she would like to do something with me like bowling, something she hasn’t done in a long time. Plus, she’s always busy working or in school and I really want to do a fun activity with her to help her relax.

I’m like, great, I have a date in waiting. Then she tells me that we can get together with some of our friends and do it. I said OK and went on my way.

I really meant for the get together to be just the two of us and not with our common friends. I wanted to go back to Julie and tell her that I meant just the two of us. I stood there for 10 minutes and tried to come up with excuses to start talking to her again. In the end I decided that I wasn’t going to bug her and moved on.

But I realized that if I was going to go at this properly, I needed to man up and take charge. So I saw Julie again later that day and asked for her telephone number because even with all of the interaction that we had this past year, I never got it. I just always saw her.

So I got the number and we’ll be back in town around the same time. I said that I would call her when I got back to Nashville. I know of a place that she really wants to eat in town and maybe we can have lunch or dinner there. Maybe I can stick with the bowling. Maybe we can go line dancing, finally attend a box social, I don’t know.

However, it did feel good to get out there and try. Your advise is always welcomed.


No comments: