Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sunday Reflections



Ah, Sunday Reflections time and I got a few of them, let’s get started:

-Weekend was good overall. I attended a house party on Friday night and that was a good time. Here are some notes…

1) It was good seeing my friends and classmates in a loose atmosphere. It seems like when I see some of them, its either in work or class or at a game. We’re a relatively laid back group because we work in sports, it shouldn’t be taken seriously, but when you get some people outside of their element, it’s a good visual.

2) My buddy Basher saved my bacon at that party by introducing me to the “Arnold Palmer.” I thought that it would be some elaborate mix drink but it’s a combo of iced tea and lemonade. Tremendous! It tasted so good and let’s put it this way. I couldn’t keep up the pace with the adult beverages without some serious damage but the AP drinks saved me.

3) The ladies were looking good, especially Julie. She wanted to be mentioned on the blog and given a fake name. That’s right! The ladies are making requests to be mentioned on the blog! That was honestly the highlight of the whole party and maybe of my semester. So back to Julie, her name choice by the way, she was at the party and looked beautiful. Last semester, I would have long talks with her and that was cool. I also have the longest standing coffee date engagement with her ever. I asked her for coffee August of last year and she said yes. However, despite reminding her throughout the last 12 months about this, we have actually never had coffee together even though we’re literally across the street from a coffee shop. I actually find this funny. So Julie, if you read this, it was nice talking to you on Friday, you looked great, I’m trying to eat right like you tell me to and I will have coffee with you anytime you want.

4) Bonfires are awesome.

5) So it’s around midnight of the festivities, we’re hanging out and the po-po’s aka the whoppy woops aka 5-0 aka Blue aka the Police came over and tell us to turn the noise down due to neighbor complaints. Gotta love it!

-Why did they kill Q on One Tree Hill? That crap was depressing. Speaking of the show…

-One storyline that they have going is that Skillz is dating his best friend’s mom. This got me thinking about if that joins my banned list of people to date. Those of you who don’t know the list, its coworkers, neighbors, student-athletes for people like me in athletic departments, ex-boyfriend/girlfriend of a good friend or sibling or sibling of a good friend. Do I need to add mothers to this one? I would normally say yes, but if you see the mom Skillz is dating, you would change your mind. The whole MILF thing is kinda creepy especially if you think of someone dating your mom but everyone has to live their own life. I’ll have to come back to that one.

-This is a huge premiere week on TV. Tomorrow alone, I have How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men and Chuck all coming on. Granted, I won’t see them because of frickin night class, but I’ll be watching them at some point. Also, there’s CSI New York, Boston Legal, The Office and several others. Excited about it.

-Some other shows I follow that have already started in the past week or two have been solid. One Tree Hill has been good accept for killing Q, Gossip Girl has been a pleasant surprise and Entourage has been OK. Drama has lost his darn mind. Also, Weeds ended its last season on a major cliffhanger that will change the tone of the whole show and I liked that as well.

-One more TV point. There are so many shows that I wish I watched that people love. Here are some of them:

1) Lost
2) Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia
3) Mad Men
4) Dexter
5) 24

I’m sure there are some that I’m forgetting. I can only watch so many shows, even though I’m the same dude that’s watching reality TV crap on MTV or VH1. If you have any more suggestions, please list them in the comments section or tell me when you see me.

-How about those Vandy Commodores!! 4-0 overall, 2-0 in the SEC and ranked in both national polls! I will say two things. First, I don’t think Vandy is the 21st best team in the nation, but it’s a national ranking that gives exposure to the program, so I’ll take it. Second, rankings are nice, but I want seven wins and then we’ll talk about rankings. Its great to see that program progress.

-Please Tennessee, keep Phil Fulmer! I love that guy! That performance against Florida was awesome! Keep it up! BTW, all of you Vol hillbilly fans who want to get rid of Big Phil, remember this. Florida, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Georgia will always be better than you if those programs are run properly for many reasons. Just accept it, realize that the mid to late 1990’s were a fluke and enjoy another 8-4 season and a trip to Orlando in January.

-Yes, as a Vandy fan, I shouldn’t talk and will now move on.

-The gas situation in Nashville has been crazy. Thank goodness I can walk to work and to class. If not, I would have major problems.

-When I mentioned talking to that waitress at the restaurant establishment in a post from a few days ago, I forgot to mention that she may have been extra nice to me for a good tip. Some of you were very clear to tell me this including the People’s Champion. She did get a good tip, even though she forgot to get me tea one time. However, I tip nice all the time, like at least 40% nice. If you read my advise post from a few days ago, you know why.

-The Primetime Emmys are on and I have no interest.

-I’m going to address this in my NFL Review on Tuesday a little more but if Ryan Grant can get a few more rushing yards and Braylon Edwards can catch some balls, my fantasy football team would appreciate it a lot. That’s all.

-I also went to a cross country competition at Percy Warner Park and that was an interesting experience. I used to think that the runners would stretch, get a little jog in, run the actual race, stretch some more and go home. They run A LOT before the race, run hard during the race, and then RUN EVEN MORE AFTER THE RACE! Sometimes, the run after the race is longer than the actual race. That makes my knees hurt. I’ll never forget that after the Belmont men’s team won the A-Sun Championships last year on a Saturday, I was on Belmont Boulevard the next day and saw the team running down the street. I talked to Jacob, one of the runners and asked him why he was running after winning the conference title and draining himself the day before. He said its what they do. I’ll take a pass.

-Let’s see, what else, oh yeah one more thing in the latest installment of “why are women potentially showing interest in me when I’m not trying.” I’m in the laundry mat today when I move out of the way of a girl when I was trying to put wet clothes the dryer. I said excuse me and I complemented her on her t-shirt which had a dinosaur on it. She said thanks and I asked her what it represented. She said that it was from a music artist she likes who does singing/songwriting. I told her that’s like half of the people in Nashville and started putting clothes in the dryer. She then asked me what I did for my career and it was on. We started chatting it up friendly style, no flirting or anything like that, even though she is cute. She likes the sports and her favorite college football team lost a big game on national TV on Saturday, hint, hint. It wasn’t Tennessee because you know if she was a fan of that school, I would have ceased the conversation and left the building.

So, she wasn’t too happy about that loss. She’s doing an internship in Nashville, leaves to go back to finish her grad school studies in November and graduates in the spring. She was wearing sunglasses the whole time so I couldn’t see her eyes and I’m a big fan of eyes so I couldn’t get a full gage of her physically. Beautiful smile though. She was very friendly though and I went to the store while my clothes dried. So, she’s outside talking on her cell phone and I was about to head to my car when she tells me that it was nice to meet me. I head over to her to tell her the same thing and she asked about one of the Vandy football games and wanted to know if I could help her get tickets to the game. I told her I would try, we exchanged numbers and I went on my way. During the whole time, I wasn’t thinking about getting her number or asking her out. She suggested this stuff. I was just being friendly, listened to her talk a whole lot, nodded my head at the appropriate moments, didn’t stare down on her excellent upper body and understated lower body if you know what I’m saying and maybe made a friend. Why wasn’t I like this 10 years ago? I would have gotten so much more action from the ladies.

-That’s all for now. This week will be the usual stuff, but it’s a crazy week so the posts may not be as frequent as normal. This semester sucks for this blog, sorry. Until then, remember to respect the Jesus and he will respect you. Follow that and you should be OK. For now, here’s some music from A Perfect Circle to reflect on. Have a good week.

No comments: