Saturday, September 20, 2008

MMA Review



Hey everyone, here’s some MMA News:

-I didn’t give my complete thoughts on UFC 88 like I should have. Chuck Liddell really needs to fall back right now and reevaluate his career. He keeps saying that he got caught against Rashad Evans but he lost because of bad technique. “Getting Caught” means you’re fighting well and a punch slips in and knocks you out. Chuck was losing that fight and needs to diversify his game. You can’t just stand up there and try to punch someone out. MMA has changed.

Good win by Rich Franklin over Matt Hamill. I thought that Matt would take the fight to the ground more personally. Solid win by Dan Henderson as well. I would like to see these two winners fight at middleweight or at light heavy and see what happens.

-The Ultimate Fighter premiered this week and I’m looking forward to it. Noguera is a badass and I’m a big fan of Frank Mir in and out of the ring. It was good to see them show Guida not making weight and not being professional about it. That shows the complete picture of the sport besides fighting and I like that.

-It looks like Affliction and Golden Boy are going to merge some MMA and boxing. I like this. I don’t understand this underlying tension between boxing and mixed martial arts. I started as a boxing fan as a child with my uncle. If you really want to go back, I was a big fan of professional wrestling as well. These two interests are still there for me but not as much as MMA right now. However, I’m part of the majority. All of us MMA fans watched boxing and most of us still follow the sport.

As far as this business transaction goes, I think its good for both of them. Affliction needs this badly because with Randy Couture resigning with UFC, they need to diversify their brand to survive. For Golden Boy, Oscar De La Hoya knows that he can’t fight forever and needs to get his promotion rolling for that day. He’s still going to have a major say in boxing but he sees the changing landscape of combat sports.

-That’s all from me, this was a short review. Till then, here’s MMA Live for your viewing pleasure.

No comments: