Tuesday, September 9, 2008

NFL Review (Week One)...and Jay Cutler's March to the Hall of Fame Update



Hey everyone, hope your life is going well. For some of us, this weekend was a tremendous moment football wise. All of my favorite teams won like Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, New York Giants, Tennessee Titans, Atlanta Falcons, all of them won. In fact, each one is undefeated, which is rare if you know each teams’ histories.

However, the opening weekend of the NFL wasn’t kind to some people (if you are a Lions fan, be very, very scared.). Let’s go over each game and I’ll give you a few sentences’ thought on each game. This will be a short post because your boy is tired and needs his rest. However, I promised a post on this topic and darn it if you aren’t going to get it.

New York Giants (1-0) 16, Washington Redskins (0-1) 7

Thoughts: Good first win for the Giants. Anytime you can win a division home game, no matter how ugly it is, you hear that Titans fans, it’s a good time. I liked the defense, but it’s unsure to see if the Giants defense is that good or if the Redskins offense is that bad. It’s probably a combo of both. Manning was also slinging the ball around for a good bit, more than normal. Jacobs still rushed for over 100 yards, but this may be Manning’s best passing season. Burress is going to have an elite season. I’m not too worried about the Redskins in the division as a Giants fan. The two other teams I’m scared of. I’ll get to them.

Atlanta (1-0) 34, Detroit (0-1) 21

Thoughts: As an adopted Atlanta fan who lived in that city for three years, I was happy for the football team to have a good Sunday. Between Michael Vick’s situation, Bobby Patrino and so many other dark moments for that team and the fans, at least for one Sunday everyone was happy. Matt Ryan is going to have struggles as a rookie quarterback and let’s not make his bust for Canton yet, but I liked what I saw from him. Are the Falcons going to rush for over 300 yards every game, of course not but it does make things easier for Ryan. Detroit just isn’t good and you can blame Matt Millen directly for their ineptitude. Apparantly the Lions ownership doesn’t see what I see.

Buffalo (1-0) 34, Seattle (0-1) 10

Thoughts: Seattle is going to have issues and as someone who has Matt Hasselback on a fantasy football team, I’m not too happy right now. I’m not surprised that Buffalo won, it’s a home game and a team traveled across the country, but just not as easy as they made it look. With New England hurting now with Brady out, can the Bills make a run at the playoffs?

New York Jets (1-0) 20, Miami (0-1) 14

Thoughts: The Brett Favre era has begun! Joy for us all! I said that he wouldn’t play another down in the NFL after all of the stuff in the summer went down. I thought that he would get traded to somebody and not report. Now, he has a chance to lead a team to a division title. Good times. Even though I’m a Giants fan, I’ve never really minded the Jets. I used to watch all of their games when I was younger and remember Al Toon, Ken O’Brien, Browning Nagle, Boomer Essian and some of the other players. Now, when they faced the Giants every year in the preseason, I would talk smack to the Jets fans and have some friendly banter with them, but besides that, I liked the Jets. Thoughts on Miami, well, at least there’s South Beach.

New England (1-0) 17, Kansas City (0-1) 10

Thoughts: Of course, the big story is Tom Brady and with good reason. He’s the franchise quarterback for the best team in the league coming into the season. His knee injury has major implications on the team itself, Randy Moss and his motivation, Bill Belicheck’s legacy, the Jets, Steelers, Bills, Titans, Jacksonville, San Diego, Denver, fantasy football, betting and many other things. I can argue that this is the most significant NFL injury of this generation, ranging 15-20 years when all things are considered.

I still think that the Patriots can get it together and win the division. Getting to the Super Bowl, not so much. Kansas City, well at least they have good barbeque and jazz.

New Orleans (1-0) 24, Tampa Bay (0-1) 20

Thoughts: New Orleans is a dangerous team to look out for. They can put up some points especially if Reggie Bush shows that form all season. He doesn’t have to rush the ball all the time but he needs to move the chains and he did that.

Quick tangent. I was in my fantasy football draft before the season and I really wanted Drew Brees badly. I was set to get him and I missed out on him by only a few picks and I’m still chapped about it. He’s going to be the league MVP, I’ve called it from the preseason and now I may lose my fantasy league because of him. Tampa isn’t actually a bad team.

Philadelphia (1-0) 34, St. Louis (0-1) 3

Thoughts: Philly isn’t this good and St. Louis isn’t this bad. If McNabb is healthy for the entire season, that team is going to win 10 games.

Pittsburgh (1-0) 38, Houston (0-1) 17

Thoughts: The Steelers can have a really good season if Willie Parker keeps running like this. Big Ben has matured and that defense looked salty. I didn’t understand the hype for Houston before the season and now you know why.

Tennessee (1-0) 17, Jacksonville (0-1) 10

Thoughts: I said it in the preseason, Tennessee has a good enough defense to win a conference title, its all up to the offense. Vince Young disappointed me on the field and the sidelines during the game. Before he got injured, he was not performing well and his negativity was a turn off for me on the sidelines. He needs to take a stronger role in general. I hope his stuff is ok off the field, I’m not even going to get into that.

Jacksonville is overrated bigtime. You have to put up points to win games and their offense doesn’t score enough.

Baltimore (1-0) 17, Cincinnati (0-1) 10

Thoughts: Neither one of these teams is going to make the playoffs but I like Flacco for the Ravens. People make it seem like Troy Smith is the second coming of John Elway. I know Smith was injured and couldn’t play but I say go with Flacco.

The Bengals season was doomed when Chad Johnson changed his name to that crap and they re-signed Chris Henry. How do you do that?

Carolina (1-0) 26, San Diego (0-1) 24

Thoughts: They’re not my team and are in direct competition with the Falcons, but I like Carolina. I’m a big fan of John Fox since his days with the Giants and the Jake Delhomme story is great with him coming back from Tommy John surgery. I was mad that they suspended Steve Smith two games for his fight but maybe that send a rallying message to the team. I still think San Diego is going to be good, they are my Super Bowl pick after all, but losing a game like that is always a worry.

Arizona (1-0) 23, San Francisco (0-1) 13

Thoughts: I have none accept one. If Arizona can’t win the NFC West now, when are they ever going to do it?

Dallas (1-0) 28, Cleveland (0-1) 10

Thoughts: Dallas isn’t this good and Cleveland isn’t this bad. I think. The two teams in the entire conference that scares me as a Giants fan are Philly and Dallas. As I said earlier, if McNabb is healthy, they’re going to win 10 games.

The other one is Dallas because if they’re clicking, who beats them in the NFC? The only hope that you have is that you can ball control against them and run the ball well. If you try to outscore them, don’t do it.

Very concerned, but not as much as Cleveland fans. They are probably not happy right now.

Chicago (1-0) 29, Indy 13 (0-1)

Thoughts: Well, that’s result was surprising. Indy looked uninspired and Chicago actually looked decent. Furthermore, the Kyle Orton era is in full effect!

Green Bay (1-0) 24, Minnesota (0-1) 19

Thoughts: Good, hard-nosed game. Aaron Rogers won his first start, so congrats to him. The Vikings aren’t going to a Super Bowl with Jackson as a quarterback. He isn’t ready.

Denver (1-0) 41, Oakland (0-1) 14

Thoughts: I joke with my friend Nicole who is a big Raiders fan that there is hope for her team. Damn that, they stink.

The march towards the Hall of Fame for Jay Cutler, hero to the masses, is off to a good start. They better make the playoffs, I don’t like my predictions to be wrong.

That’s all for now and good fight, good night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agree