Saturday, December 27, 2008

MMA Review


Sorry for this pathetic edition of MMA Review, but I was out of town yesterday and just got back to Nashville.

I wanted to do an extensive review of all of the fights for UFC 92 which takes place in a few hours but life gets in the way and we will keep it moving. I’ll give you the quick predictions of the three main fights and then next week, I will be able to give you complete analysis of the event as well as my year-end awards.

Wanderlei Silva vs. Rampage Jackson: These two have an extended history between the two of them with Silva winning both previous matchups with devastating knockouts. In fact, the second one was one of the most devastating knees that I’ve ever seen.

However much has changed since these two last faced each other several years ago. Rampage seems more focused on fighting and becoming a professional and this has helped him greatly in the UFC. Silva is still doing his thing but we haven’t seen a vintage Axe Murderer performance in a while. Rampage has also left his long time manager and training camp for a new one and you should always be unsure of a fighter doing this before a big fight.

In the end, I’m going to pick Rampage to win the fight by decision.

Frank Mir vs. Minotaro Nogueira: I’m going to preface this with saying that I’m a big Frank Mir fan. I think that Mir is more athletic, younger both in age and in physical abuse to the body and has incredible motivation to fight. I can really see Mir pulling off this win.

In the end, Nog will pull out this win. Even though Nog is battered and been though some wars, he has had 11 months off to recover his body. This is huge. If Nog only had about two or three months between fights, I would take Mir in a heartbeat. I just think that Nog has better hands, more stamina and is even better on the ground than Mir, which is significant because Frank’s strength is on the ground. Nog isn’t going to submit, he’s too tough. I don’t think Mir is going to be submitted either. I can see Nog knocking Frank out. I doubt that Frank can knock Nog out.

I see Nog by decision.

Rashad Evans vs. Forrest Griffin: I can see this one going many ways. I like the talents of both guys. I have to give Evans credit. When I saw his first few fights, I thought that he was going to be a jabber who just rode takedowns to decision victories for his entire career. However, he has started to loosen up and let his hands and kicks go. Now, he is showing knockout power.

Griffin always fight an exciting style and his submission of Shogun and subsequent decision over Rampage was impressive. However, Forrest doesn’t possess the knockout power of Evans.

When the fight hits the ground, Griffin does have the advantage. I’m going to take Griffin by submission in the fourth round. Forrest is going to grind on Rashad for the first three rounds, wear him out and then submit him in the later rounds.

That’s it. Sorry for the brevity.

No comments: