Tuesday, December 2, 2008

NFL Review for Week 13 and Jay Cutler's Continued March









Well peoples, its time for the NFL Review:

First, some music:



I’m going to talk about the results of the games in some cases, but there are some truly, and earmuffs or blindfolds for the kids out there, shitty teams in the NFL right now and talking about some of them are depressing.

Detroit: What an embarrassing performance on national TV against the Titans on Thanksgiving. On the bright side, my fantasy football team has benefited greatly from Calvin Johnson’s performance as a receiver. The great thing about the Lions is that they always trail in games so they throw the ball.

On the negative side, I honestly think that they won’t win a game this season. I’ve always said that we would never see a team lose every game in a season, but these guys have a shot. I joked halfway through the season that looking at their schedule, they weren’t going to win a game, but I never truly believed it until watching them on Thursday.

Cincinnati: Congrats to the Bearcats for winning the Big East. Brian Kelly is an excellent coach that Tennessee should have hired…what, this is supposed to be about the Bengals.

St. Louis: What more has to be said about some of these teams. I’m out of positives. They lost to Miami at home, nothing good from that.

Kansas City: The one show that I forgot to mention with the annoying fans from my post last night was The Wire. Tried the show for one or two episodes and didn’t like it. How does this connect with the Chiefs. One of the annoying fans of that show was Jason Whitlock of the Kansas City Star. He would keep mentioned the show in his articles and how it was the best ever representation of street life, etc. Whitlock wasn’t annoying but him and Bill Simmons, aka, the Sports Guy, would pump this show up so much that I started to not watch it to spite them and the rest of their fans.

Seattle: I’ve been debating the last few weeks about who has the ugliest uniforms in the NFL. Its between them and Buffalo. I don’t know why these teams insist on changing uniforms every other year. That blue, green and whatever the hell-type of grey that the Seahawks have is hideous.



Give me this instead



Oakland: I have to give Lane Kiffin credit for one thing besides having a hot wife and showing that you can have a lack of charisma in your opening press conference for a new job. He parlayed a job with the hopeless Raiders and turned it into a major job in the SEC. As many others have been saying, if he was still the offensive coordinator at USC, he doesn’t get the job at Tennessee. In the end, his failure as an NFL coach got him his current job. God bless America!

Jacksonville: They stink, but you know who’s an underrated, yet overrated band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, who happen to be from Jacksonville. They are underrated because they’re brand of southern rock crossed over everywhere and introduced many people to that type of music. Even country music today is pretty much southern rock. They’re overrated because if you live in the South like I do, you hear their music all the time.

While I’m on this topic. Cover bands out there, you don’t have to play Sweet Home Alabama. It’s a good song and anytime you can get a dig in at Neil Young, fun for all, but if I’m at another bar and hear this song, I’m not going to like it.

Here’s their best song besides That Smell and Freebird, gotta love Freebird:



Cleveland: If I lose my fantasy football league this season, its because I was too loyal to people like Braylon Edwards. I’ve counted at least two weeks that if he held on to the ball, I would have won those weeks and be in a better position for the playoffs.

But I also blame myself for relying on one player for my fantasy fate. Maybe Ken Dorsey can get him the ball and inspire. OK, maybe not.

San Francisco: One of my friends is a big 49ers fan and was talking about them getting Michael Crabtree in the draft. I like Crabtree, but I think for a rebuilding team like theirs, the best spots to look to rebuild are on either sides of the line or quarterback. Between Andre Smith, Colt McCoy, Graham Harrell, Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford and some others, they can begin to rebound. As far as Mike Singletary deserving the job full-time, I have no clue. Keep him around for the press conferences at least, those are fun.

San Diego: How did I pick these guys to go to the Super Bowl. I forgot my first rule in making preseason predictions, besides never counting out Indianapolis. I trusted Norv Turner. He isn’t the answer. Also, I honestly hope that we hear in about a month that Tomlinson is hurt, will get surgery and will be fully healthy for next season because if he isn’t hurt, he hit his career wall hard without warning.

Green Bay: I still think they made the right decision in letting Favre go. Rodgers isn’t completely innocent, but he isn’t the reason that they’re losing. That defense is. How do you let up and let Carolina comeback and win that game at Lambeau. Can’t be done.

Houston: I talked crap about Mario Williams earlier this season but he had a tremendous game against Jacksonville last night. Looks like another 8-8 season for these guys. Steve Slaton is a keeper though.

Buffalo: Speaking of ugly uniforms:



Stick with the old school ones:



The Bills playing in Toronto is mixed for me. While I will always represent for a team in New York state and want to see the Bills succeed in Buffalo, I understand that business is business. Toronto offers more. However, I can only think of Green Bay, Pittsburgh and maybe Cleveland as cities that identify more with their NFL team than Buffalo. It’s a way of life up there for them.

New Orleans: Saw the Southern vs. Grambling game over the weekend in the Bayou Classic in New Orleans. Always a fun game to see, if for anything the Battle of the Bands at halftime. I must say that Southern won and not because my sister-in-law is an alum. The music was better and the women were better looking. I’m sticking with my choice.

Chicago: I won’t be the first to say this but Michael Vick and/or Donovan McNabb will be quarterbacks on this team next year. As much as I’ve enjoyed the Kyle Orton experience and his neckbeard, those two other quarterbacks make too much sense.

Arizona: I’m tired of hearing about how teams traveling to different time zones have been struggling to get wins. Look at the teams. Seattle stinks, San Francisco is awful, Oakland is a joke, San Diego has been disappointing and Arizona is average, at best. It didn’t shock me in the least that Philly destroyed them on Thanksgiving. You trust these guys going to Carolina or New York for a Divisional playoff game, didn’t think so.

Philadelphia: Deion Sanders needs to fall back on his love for McNabb after the game. I know Deion had to stick together with McNabb, but its time for Kevin Kolb to play. Kolb isn’t great but its just time. And yes, I know McNabb threw four touchdowns in the Arizona game and that’s fine and all but you have to move on.

Miami: One of the most underrated stories in the world of sports right now. How do the Dolphins go from 1-15 last season to 7-5 and contending for a division title. Tremendous effort by those guys.

Speaking of tremendous efforts from Miami people, I told you that Dwayne Wade would be a dark horse for MVP.

Washington: Need to beat Baltimore to even have a chance at the playoffs.

New England: Pittsburgh is tough, so no shame in losing that game. I don’t like seeing Randy Moss having the drops. I still think these guys make the playoffs.

Minnesota: They gave the ball to Peterson some more, which was nice, but I need AP to come up strong the next three weeks for my fantasy team to win the league. Didn’t like seeing Chester Taylor rushing for a touchdown, those are Peterson’s yards!

Denver: If its true that this Sunday was Jay Cutler, aka the Icon of Santa Claus, Ind. first visit to the NYC, he needs to change that. Didn’t his school take a field trip there? I always assumed that by the time you were done with high school, you did the field trips to the NYC, Philly, Boston and definitely Washington D.C. at some point. Maybe that’s just me.

Anyway, the March to the Hall of Fame continues because they’re going to win the division and host a playoff game, joy for the Broncos fans out there.

Dallas: Win against Seattle means nothing really. Still the only team in the NFC that can beat the Giants in the playoffs. Maybe, maybe Minnesota because Peterson can carry the Vikes to a victory, but that’s a slim chance.

Baltimore: Quiet resurgence for this team and doing it with a rookie quarterback. Nice effort.

Jets: Well, I guess all of you who were on these guys bandwagon can calmly step off now. I was never on it and will never step on it. Still win the division though, which is a good season for these guys.

Atlanta: I was in Atlanta for Thanksgiving and the vibe about the Falcons is much more positive this year than last. Vick is a memory, Patrino is struggling at Arkansas and there’s hope. Also, Georgia Tech kicked that ass at Georgia and that was awesome.

Carolina Panthers: Had a chance this week to catch up on professional wrestling and started missing the NWA/WCW which had roots in the Carolinas. I enjoyed the WWE product and TNA is actually a decent watch but I miss the old school days of the NWA. Sounds like a potential post for the future.

Indianapolis: How are these guys 8-4? Seriously.

Tampa: Another game, another win that I don’t get. I really need to start taking them seriously.

Pittsburgh: They maybe have the toughest schedule I can think of in a while. They still have to face Baltimore, Tennessee and Dallas. I admire their commitment to the run though.

Tennessee: Dominated Detroit, but that’s not much to brag about. Good to see Vince Young get some time in.

Giants: My whole opinion on the whole Plaxico Burress thing is this:

1) They were winning with him and without him, no difference. He’s not needed.

Actually, I’ll elaborate more on this topic in my post on Thursday. Your comments are always welcomed.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

commendable choice of music today. also, i have not been to nyc or boston and have only flown through philly. honestly, of the three, boston is the only town i really want to visit.