Monday, December 1, 2008

Annoying Fans of Shows...Me Included



First, some music for your soul. Here's some Moodorama. Good stuff.




It all started with Oz for me and I’m not talking about Dorothy, Kansas, scarecrows and one of the most overrated movies ever. Yeah, I said it.

Anyway, the Oz I speak of was the brilliant HBO prison drama that ran from 1997 to 2003. It was the first show that I really got into on HBO and serves as one of my favorite 10 shows ever. I really need to make that list one day. I’ll tell you now, Oz, Seinfeld and Scrubs are on that list always.

I can still tell stories about Leo Glenn, Tim McManus, Kareem Said, Schillinger, Alvarez, Beecher and many other characters. I would watch episodes five, six times over and over again. The drama was so compelling and I would notice different things in every episode. I would go online for updates, repeated lines, the whole deal. I became obsessed with that show.

I would talk to my friends about Oz and speak to them passionately about how they need to watch this show. Most of them would say that they knew of the show but didn’t really like it. I would get mad at them and tell them that they would find time to watch mindless crap like Friends yet the most compelling show of our generation was on and struggled to stay on the air because of low ratings.

I was reminded of this recently when I have been speaking with some people and they keep telling me to watch Friday Night Lights. They come to me with the same passion about that show like I used to about Oz. And while I respect the show and dug the movie that its based on, I just don’t find the show that compelling. Maybe its because I’m burnt out on sports and I try to get away from it in my free time or something else.

I don’t like annoying fans who always tell you that they’re show is great and have that condescending tone when you tell them that you don’t watch the show. Here are the shows that confront this the most with.

-Friday Night Lights: Already gone over this one

-It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Tried it for about 10 minutes and didn’t like it. Should give it more of a fair chance.

-Lost: Not a bad show but haven’t watched it enough to really get everything that’s going on.

-24: Same as Lost

-Curb Your Enthusiasm: Good show but I’m behind on it because I’ve gone years of having no HBO at a time.

-Scrubs: Fans of this show, myself included, can be a little pushy about this show.

-Jericho: Never seen it but someone, the Peoples’ Champion, tells me that the fans are annoying.

-Gary Shandling Show: Old school choice. His show was witty, I get it.

-Seinfeld: Yes its funny, but lets just leave it at that.

-The Office: I love this show like most of America, but the pretentious nature of the fans can be annoying. I’ve had my moments of being “that guy” with this show but I acknowledge it and try to stop it.

-The Hills: Just kidding, actually no, that show is terribly good.

However, people kept telling me for such a long time about how great of a show House was but I never gave it a chance to check it out. As I stated in yesterday’s post, I came across some episodes over the weekend and am now hooked.

The reason I watched the show however was not because people kept telling me about the show. I try to give shows like that a chance because I haven’t been bombarded with people telling me to check out the show like the ones mentioned earlier.

In the end, leave me alone with your favorite shows. I have my favorites like Chuck, One Tree Hill, Boston Legal, General Hospital, CSI: NY, etc. but you will never, ever hear me tell you that you have to watch those shows.

I learned from my Oz days that this can be annoying. If I ever do this to you, call me on it.

What shows or fans do you encounter in your life that are annoying? Leave your responses in the comments section.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i agree that "always sunny" is way too weird. i don't want to hear about it anymore. basically, anyone who tells me that i "have to watch" a tv show annoys me. if i wanted to watch it, i would. oh, but hey, if you've got hbo back, you should check out "the life and times of tim" on sundays at 10. ha, a performative fallacy.