Wednesday, December 31, 2008

NFL Review Week 17 and Jay Cutler's March To Canton Update (It isn't good)




Final full NFL Review of the year, sad times but I’m kinda glad its over too. This post is the longest one I have to do every week and I’ve gotten tired of writing about crappy teams.

When I was on my way back to Nashville from the metropolis of Kennesaw, Ga., I heard this old school Janet Jackson song and I was feeling it and actually singing along to it. Ah, 1990, an innocent time before I discovered Metallica, Alice In Chains and hard rock. I was a huge Janet Jackson fan and all of the pop songs during that time. Enjoy.


On to the Review… wait one more thing. I won my fantasy football league yay me, I like to thank my fans, yada, yada, yada, People's Champion has been mentioned here, lets get started and move on...

Detroit: What more can be said about these guys that hasn’t been said. OK, they fired their coach, which had to be done. However, they promoted someone within the organization, Martin Mayhew, a holdover from the dreadful Matt Millen era, to general manager without interviewing an outside source, including Scott Pioli! What a frickin joke! If I’m a Lions fan, I’m turning in my season tickets and not even following them anymore, the organization doesn’t deserve it.

Cincinnati: I got hooked on House bigtime over the Christmas weekend thanks to the USA Network. I watched about 12 episodes over the few days, literally. I was supposed to go out and spend time with family but I found myself stuck in the house watching five or six episodes at a time. Hugh Laurie is the man and all but I’ve developed a serious crush on Dr. Cuddy or Lisa Edelstein, the actress.



Not only is she hot, she’s an older woman, she plays the Dean of Medicine at the fictional hospital, so her character has power and that’s sexy as hell. Love this show.

What, you want me to analyze the Bengals, please.

St. Louis: No more Ram It, sorry. However, its good to see that the players have united to set up a petition to keep Jim Haslett. Nice. You win your first two games with the new coach and then decide to drop the next 10. You pro athletes are so funny, you amuse me beyond comprehension sometimes!

Kansas City: So Larry Johnson wants to move on from the Chiefs. I will give him a little credit, but not much, by acknowledging that he was part of the problem as well as the team. He’s stuck there though because KC can’t cut him with that new contract, the salary cap hit would be bad. And plus, you saw how stingy they were with not getting rid of Gonzalez.

Seattle: So where does Mike Holmgren go to coach next because you know that guy is coming back. He’s talking about spending time with the family, opening a restaurant, doing charity work, normal stuff. Problem is he’s not normal, he’s a football coach. That’s not a knock on him in particular, he’s just a guy who needs the activity of coaching. Why do you think that people like Joe Paterno (who I will get to later), Bobby Bowden, Bill Parcells and countless others find it difficult to retire and walk away. Its in their blood. I say San Francisco in three years, sorry Singletary.

Oakland: Nice win over Tampa and they looked like they cared for the last few games. Cable might actually keep the job and apparently he’s close with Al Davis. I actually want to see this work out because when Oakland is good, its fun to root for them or against them because they are the most polarizing team in the league this side of New England and Dallas.

Jacksonville: Jack Del Rio may not have a job by the time you read this. Whatever. However, in tribute to Meggie who was feeling my music choices a few weeks ago, here’s some more Lynyrd Skynyrd. Oak tree, you’re in my way!



Cleveland: Wow, I though these guys had a chance, especially Braylon Edwards and yeah, that didn’t happen. At least they have the chance to see Lebron James have his best season ever, win his first MVP and lead them to the NBA Finals, what did I just say that, yes, yes I did.

San Francisco: Seriously, congrats to Singletary for getting the job full-time. I loved what he did to Vernon Davis even though the media was killing him for it. Singletary needed to send a message and that was the right one at that time. Dropping Mike Martz was an interesting move. I understand that he didn’t want to have someone like Martz over his shoulder possibly undermining him but Martz can coach an offense.

San Diego: Philip Rivers, my hero. I can see them either losing to Indy by a bunch or actually going all the way to the Super Bowl, there is no in between for these guys.

Green Bay: I still think that they made the right choice of keeping Aaron Rogers and letting go of Coach Killer 2.0 (oh, I get to Mr. Favre later)

Houston: I want to say something positive about the Texans because Amber is from there but nothing is coming up.

Buffalo: Keeping the head coach is a welcome change from the ridiculous firings we’ve seen this week. Now, if they can only work on those current uniforms and not leaving for Toronto, then they’re in business.

New Orleans: Brees is my Offensive MVP and disappointed that he missed the passing record by only a few yards. In fact, a 15-yard out would have done it. Sour grapes Marino gets to keep it, damn hippie.

Didn’t see the niece and nephews this Christmas because they were in Louisiana with other members of the family. That was a bummer. Looking forward to my Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets laying the smack down on LSU in the Peach Bowl tonight.

Yes, its still the Peach Bowl, screw Chick-fil-a. Actually, I like their nuggets, so forget I said that.

Chicago: I’ve had Seinfeld links here the past two weeks and I shouldn’t stop now.



Arizona: Too many people like Atlanta this week so let me publicly take the Cardinals at home.

Philadelphia: For the first and probably only time in my life, I was openly rooting for the Eagles this past week. Their dismantling of the Cowboys was tremendous. Furthermore, it means that McNabb and Andy Reid are going to be back next year and the love/hate relationship between those two and the city is fun drama as an outsider. One week, Philly loves those two, the next week they want both gone, good times!

Miami: Good for Chad Pennington and the return of Joey Porter has been fun. Plus, Ricky stayed off the weed!

Washington: While in Kennesaw, I saw a special on the life of Marvin Gaye and it was incredible. I need to get his music in my rotation. We all know about Sexual Healing, Lets Get it On, What’s Going On, etc. However, I listened to some songs from the album, Let’s Get It On and was moved. Here’s a track from that album:



BTW, Marvin was born in Washington, D.C. for connection to the Redskins.

New England: Cassel is a Ram next year, just throwing it out there.

Dallas: All that has needed to be said has been said about these guys. They are what they are. Romo is a mess, Owens is Coach Killer 1.0, Phillips isn’t the right coach for them, Jason Garrett made the weakest 3.5 million dollars ever for a coach, Pacman and Tank were, well, Pacman and Tank. Reality is that you can’t fire the owner.

Jets: Good job getting Mangini fired Farve. Read this article for prospective: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9001016/Mangini-has-Favre-to-thank-for-pink-slip

Wow, Brett, Heaven forbid your head coach criticizing you for your play. You make me sick. Go back to Mississippi and talk about spending more time with your family, jerk. You deserved to lose that game on Sunday. I don’t want to see you ever again in my life. If you’re in a game, I’m changing the channel, unless you’re playing the Giants or Titans. Furthermore, if you ruin my summer again with your retirement B.S., I’m going to find you and make you hurt.

Other than that, all is well.


Broncos: Shanahan getting fired is a joke but I kinda understand where they’re going with that.

As all of you know, I’m a big fan of Jay Cutler. Heck, I update you every week about his March Towards Canton. I’m also a fair critic and while he was asked to do a lot with a weak running game, you can’t blow that division lead. You have to find a way to win that Buffalo game at home. Once they lost that game, they’re was no way they were winning at San Diego. Denver isn’t that far off. They just need to get a running back, improve offensive line play, redo the whole defense and find a new head coach. That’s not too hard.

Atlanta: I’ve liked to Bombs over Baghdad for Outkast but this is really my favorite song from them (possibly NSFW, meaning you can listen to it but don’t blast it in your office):



Tampa: Does Jon Gruden need to worry about his job? Seriously, if Mike Shanahan can get the can at Denver, Gruden can’t be safe. If I was Jon, I would just skim the resume just in case because losing to Oakland at home is not good.

Baltimore: Ed Reed is my Defensive MVP.

Pittsburgh: Don’t understand why Big Ben was in the game, but that’s the way they want to handle things, I can’t complain.

Indy: Manning is my overall MVP and as a follower of the Titans, fans need to be very concerned about these guys.

Carolina: Steve Smith must be mad at the world.

Tennessee: Hate to be the bearer of bad news but these guys aren’t making the Super Bowl.

Giants: Neither are they…actually, I think they will but it’s going to be a struggle.

No comments: