Monday, December 22, 2008

My Top-Five Favorite Christmas Songs Countdown Part I


I dislike holiday songs, especially Christmas songs. Look, we get it, its Christmas time, joy to the world, peace on earth, yada, yada, yada.

Here are my two main beefs with the songs.

1) They are way too positive. I like a happy song here and there but I don’t want to be bombarded with it all the time. I can understand people wanting positive songs this time of year but that doesn’t excuse reason #2, which is…

2) We start hearing these song too darn early. Only now should we be hearing Christmas songs, about a week before the actual day. I don’t need to be hanging out in early November and start hearing Silent Night on the radio. Its too early and really speaks to the commercialization of the entire holiday which is disgusting. Another subject for later this week.

OK, lets get to my countdown to my five favorite Christmas songs of all time:

I had a tie for #5

Band Aid with Feed The World:



Classic song, with George Michael, Jodi Watley, Boy George being well, Boy George and a cast of other characters. Phil Collins rocking the drums. Duran Duran was the truth!!!! Bono’s line is a little crass but gets the message across.

Last Christmas by Wham! (the exclamation point is part of the band’s name and not my like of the group, just want to make that clear)



Just a nice simple melody. When I was working at a clothing store three Christmas’ ago and it was brutal. I’ll give more details about this experience tomorrow. But the one shining light was the final song in my tie of songs.



This Christmas by Christina Aguilera. Upbeat song.

OK, that’s it. My song for tomorrow is done by a group from Ireland. That was a layup.

No comments: