Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas!




Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Krazy Kwanzaa (yes, crazy with a “k”) a festive Festivus and every other holiday that I’m forgetting.

First, here is my favorite Christmas song of all-time…

#1 Santa Claus is Coming to Town by Bruce Springsteen



Perfect song by the only artist I can comprehend singing it.

So this Christmas, I always think of the best gifts and worst gifts that I used to get.

The two best ones came on consecutive years. The Christmas of 1986, I got a My Buddy Doll, the black version and it was the best gift I’ve ever got. I used to celebrate birthdays with him, prepare him for school, comb his hair, the works. I still have him to this day and dress him up. Don’t laugh and I’ll fight you to the end if you want to go there.

Then in the next year, I got a Nintendo system and that was awesome as well. I played so many hours of Super Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt I would dream about it in my sleep. I played my Nintendo system so much it literally died on me. Those of us between the ages of 25 and 35 know what that feeling is like. I think I was playing RC Pro AM and the game wouldn’t start. I restarted and restarted, did the blow into the game cartridge trick, everything and nothing worked. Finally, I gave up and threw it away, sad moment.

The rest of my Christmases consisted of getting underwear that was uncomfortable to wear, ugly sweaters and socks, lots and lots of socks.

Over time I’ve grown to accept this and realize that its not about what you get, its about the positive vibes you put out there. I think it was the Beatles or one of my uncles who said that the love you take is equal to the love you make. I try to live that way.

So now, its time for me to go and spend time with the family. Talk to ya’ll tomorrow.

1 comment:

Ms, Annon said...

Buddy! I miss my Kid Sister! Megan and Brandon tore through her lil heart and mine :( hahah
Hey Cuz- I havent read the blog in a while, think I will catch up on my down time. luv Mo