Thursday, December 4, 2008

I know you want to know my opinion on Plaxico...



Hey everyone. I promised that I was going to comment on the Plaxico Burress situation.

Of course, you need some music while reading. Here’s some Pink Floyd:



If you’re reading this, I’m pretty sure you already know what happened. If you seriously want to read about the absurdity of this whole story, check out this link: http://deadspin.com/5101883/plaxico-burress-saga-turning-into-awful-russian-novel

Here are my thoughts, and as a disclaimer, I’m a big Giants fan. First team that I started following everyday of my life and made me the sports fan that I am today:

1) From a football prospective, I say good riddance with respect for his contributions to the Giants. I will give Plaxico credit for playing hard, hurt and productively for the team since he’s joined them. However, as an organization, you have to take a stand for the insubordinate actions of a player. He has continually been a deterrent to the team from his contract talks during the offseason to continually showing up late for meetings and getting fined constantly.

His biggest mistake from all of this is that he thinks that he is not expendable. He thinks that he can’t be replaced and he continually pushed his cards with the organization. Can’t do that.

2) The story is funny. I don’t want to hear about how this is bad for the Black athlete, which I will touch on later. Jon Stewart broke it down pretty funny here:



He shot himself in the damn leg at the club, this is funny, which bring me to point #3.

3) I don’t have an ounce of sympathy for him. Plaxico did this to himself. This isn’t like the tragic death of Sean Taylor or the troubling number of athletes being robbed at their homes with weapons. Those situations are serious and are no joke. Plaxico’s dumb ass brings a loaded, unlicensed weapon to a club and shoots himself. That is funny, I don’t care what you say. And finally…

4) If you read someone or hear someone bring race into this situation, they have an agenda that you don’t need to listen to. This is a perfect scenario for media types to play the race card and tell all of us that the young Black athlete is troubled and we need to help them and that the hip hop culture is influencing them to do bad things. You’re going to hear people say that Plaxico or some others like him are troubled souls who couldn’t turn their backs on their friends from back in the hood.

That’s bullshit.

I’ve never understood how hanging out with bad people and making bad decisions is ever a good thing. So no sympathy for Burress at all.

Do I wish ill harm towards the guy? No, I don’t wish that upon any person. However, if you want me to sympathize with him for being an idiot, you need to fall back.

No comments: