Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sunday Reflections


Hey folks, its time for that Sunday Reflections that’s sweeping the nation.

First, here’s some Talking Heads to listen to while reading my post.



I was blasting them all weekend, I’ll get to that later. Actually, lets get to that now because it starts my Thanksgiving weekend.

-Usually, when I take road trips, I put on my Mars Volta and At the Drive In music and that’s it. However, even though they’re my favorite band, me like the rest of us need to diversify our game. So, I got CDs from the Talking Heads, Thievery Corporation, Massive Attack and some other music.

It was good to listen to some different music.

-House is a tremendous show. The great part of Thanksgiving weekend and the Christmas holiday is that you get some amazing TV marathons on. I saw parts of the Rocky marathon on TNT, CSI and CSI: NY on Spike, Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel, True Life on MTV and one or two others that I’m forgetting. I remember this is how I got hooked on Man vs. Wild last season and made me passionate about that show.

The one that got me hooked the most this year was House on USA.

People have been talking about how great a show House is for years but I never got into it for some reason. I think its because if I don’t watch a show from the beginning, I can’t get hooked on it and even stayed up till 2 a.m. on Thursday night to watch some episodes. This is why I’ve been hesitant to watch Lost and 24. I’ve tried to watch those shows in the past year but I don’t know the backstories well enough to appreciate the new episodes.

So anyway, I watched about five House episodes and love it. They even showed the episode of why House’s leg is messed up. Great episode BTW. Now, I have to get the DVD’s of the early seasons and watch the new ones. However, if I’m home now, I’m going to make a point to watch that show. Plus, when this is the theme song, that’s worth a view:



-Love and Basketball should be required viewing for anyone. How I keep forgetting to include Sanaa Latham from my Top-five list is insulting to her.


-Played Wii for the first time with my niece and nephews. That game system was awesome. We played tennis, boxing, baseball, bowling and golf. Those games were fun. I almost threw my shoulder out boxing and playing tennis but it was worth it.

-While kicking it with the fam, the kids were playing some rap music from artists such as Gucci Mane, Lil Wayne and some other artists. Jesus Christmas, the profanity was rididulous. Here’s the sad part, the kids know that I’m not the biggest rap fan, so they tried to find some music that I would like.

They played some Taylor Swift.

Look, I’m not the biggest Taylor Swift fan but I do think some of her music is OK. I’m not blasting it in my car but if its on the radio, I’m not offended.

But after thinking about it, I found it cool that my family likes Lil Wayne and Taylor Swift.

Taylor has done an excellent job of crossing over from country music, which is usually a limited demographic, and crossed over to the young people. Props to Taylor for that!

-Why is gas so cheap right now? This will only encourage people to use gas guzzler cars and not practice conserving energy. I thought after Hurricane Ike and the struggles people had with paying for high priced gas, things would get better.

However, now that gas prices are low again, we will go back to our normal ways. Lame.

-Had some excellent pie this weekend which brings me to something that I was thinking about last week but forgot to mention here..

I was speaking with somebody last week about weddings and I was told that the groom gets his own cake. I was down with this because I like my own stuff and I can make it whatever I want.

I’ve always said that I don’t really care about my future wedding accept for the food and this qualifies.

However, I was told that I would have to share this cake with others and that I’m not down with. Its my cake. I’ll share it with maybe the wifey but besides that, not cool.

After learning about this, I wondered if I could make modifications to the cake so I asked the closest groom I could find, the Peoples’ Champion and this is how the conversation went down:

Me: “Peoples’ Champion, can I have my own cake at my wedding?”
Peoples’ Champion: “Yes, but you have to share it.”
Me: “That’s not cool. Can I have a wedding pie?”
Peoples’ Champion: “Sure, I guess.”
Me: “Cool, can I have a wedding pie shaped as a football or another ball?”
Peoples’ Champion: “Probably not.”

I’m glad that got solved. Wedding pie in the shape of a baseball it is. I will make it happen.

-Good to see Tennessee hire Lane Kiffin. As a Vanderbilt fan, he doesn’t scare me in the least bit. If the Vols hired Butch Davis or Brian Kelly from Cincinnati, I would have been concerned. Kiffin will either be really good or below average, I have no clue and if you speak to a UT fan who has an idea, he or she is not telling the truth to you.

-I purchased a French/English dictionary and a language CD. I’ll probably start my lessons in earnest in two weeks. I was not feeding you bull crap when I told you that I was going to learn French. It’s happening.

I already know the second thing that I want to learn in my continual cultural growth. The clue is that it will involve my fingers. That is all.

-I was in Kroger last week and I could have sworn that I was being checked out by an attractive female. I had no clue how to approach her. Your advice is encouraged.

-How is Oklahoma ahead of Texas in the BCS? Furthermore, how can anyone who votes in a poll have voted for the Sooners ahead of the Longhorns? That crap is ridiculous!

There are probably one or two more things that I need to touch on but haven’t gotten to. Here’s the plan for this week. BTW, the Crushes will be decided a day before instead of for the entire week, this allows me for more flexibility which is an essential part of any good woman. In her personality you perverted readers out there!

Monday: Commentary of annoying fans of TV shows that I don’t like. I’m looking right at you fans of Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Friday Night Lights and The Wire. The crush will be someone who plays a clothing designer on the TV show that she currently stars in.

Tuesday: NFL Review

Wednesday: Do I have baby fever?

Thursday: Wildcard

Friday: MMA Review

Saturday: Wildcard again

Sunday: Reflections

Until then, have a good week.

No comments: