Sunday, November 16, 2008

MMA Review- UFC 91 Edition



Hey everyone, sorry for not blogging in the past few days. I was out of town, things happened, I’ll break it down in my Sunday Reflections tomorrow or today by the time you read this.

This is a special edition of MMA Review because I just witnessed UFC 91 at a viewing party at Nashville MMA and had a blast.

It wasn’t a fun event for me seeing my main man Randy Couture losing his heavyweight title to Brock Lesner. About 95% of the crowd that I was watching the event with was going for Randy but in the end, Brock was just physically a better fighter.

Randy tried to do some good things and drag the fight out, but when Lesner got in the clinch, he was able to work on Randy a bit. The power of Lesner’s punches are so strong that it hurts anyone.

I just want to see some more skill from Lesner, but heck, he dominated one of the top-five MMA fighters ever physically so if it works, why deviate from it. Lesner’s fighting skills and style aren’t the most astetically pleasing to me as a hardcore MMA fan, but I can see his appeal to the casual fan.

While I was watching the fight with my new MMA friends, we just kept saying that Brock is so huge, he’s just physically imposing.

It looks like Brock will get the winner of Nogueira and Mir who fight in December. I think that he beats Mir but if he gets Nog, that will be a different story. If Brock fights someone who has a decent submission game and can take some punishment on his back, Brock is in trouble.

For Randy, I want to see him fight more. He’s an excellent representative of the sport, he’s professional and is still skilled. I wouldn’t mind seeing him fight the loser of Mir/Nog.

-Ken Florian looked like a bad-ass tonight against Joe Stevenson. When Ken is on, he fights at another level then the rest of his competition. He really has no holes in his game. And I loved the fact that he called out B.J. Penn after the fight. If I’m Ken Flo, I would be pissed that the title holder in my weight class is fighting someone in another class and pretty much ignoring the current division that he’s in.

I’m looking forward to seeing B.J. against Georges St. Pierre more than anybody else especially since B.J. will get his revenge but I feel bad for Ken Flo, who I like also.

-The Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McClory fight was good. I love good ground fights and this was one of them. Of course me being a huge Judo and Jui-Jitsu fan, I like these types of matches.

-Gonzaga did what I pretty much expected in his fight. He’s still on a short list for a title shot at heavyweight.

-Look up the uppercut knock out in the Jeremy Stephens vs. Rafael dos Anjos fight. It will be worth it.

-Tonight was a fun event for me because I was able to enjoy an evening with people who were digging the same thing that I was. When I moved back to Nashville, the last thing that I expected to find was an active mixed martial arts community. I was so happy tonight and made me remember that a life does exist outside of my work social circle and school life.

-I saw some nice young ladies at the event and really didn’t talk to any because it was crowded in there and I was focused on the fights. If I can find a lady who is down with MMA, she would be marriage material. I loved it and it was a variety of ladies, blond hair, dark hair, thin, curvy, young, old. Good times for all.

-Speaking of diversity, the crowd was diverse as well. You had the young muscleheads there, some young professionals like me, preppies, thug-like people, ladies, all races, even children. This sport crosses over all demographics.

-I’m hyped that I found Nashville MMA and would like to do some stuff with them. I might even start training there. I’m not going to become a fighter, but I’m interested in the sport, at least the jiu jitsu side of it and want to explore it. I was also looking forward to the first MMA fight in Nashville on Dec.11, but I have a class presentation that same night, story of my frickin life! I’ll still try to find a way to make it out to that.

-That’s all from me. Have a good night....wait a minute, I have to give you my Crush of the Day...


She's the female face of the UFC and hosts the underrated UFC All Access show. Plus, she posed for Playboy this month. Plus, just look at her. I'm a fan.




No comments: