Tuesday, November 25, 2008

NFL Review Week 12 and yes, an update on the March to Canton for Jay Cutler




Time for the NFL Review, let’s get started.

OK, were’ going to do this in the old school style, where I pull up Pandora or some of my music and incorporate it into the post.

I just got Stop Making Sense, the brilliant live album from The Talking Heads. Here’s a cut from that concert:



St. Louis: Did they decide to show up for their game against Chicago? Also, good move by Rams guard Richie Incognito criticizing the Rams fans. I understand where he was coming from because you would rather play in a stadium with some noise, even if its boos, then silence, but you just can’t say that when your team is playing so badly. What does he expect the fans to do? They are watching a bad product and as a fan who has seen some bad sports in person at times, you get tired of booing and you get tired of giving cheers of encouragement. Sometimes silence is the best reaction you can come up with as a fan.

Detroit: Only the Lions can have a 17-0 lead at the end of the first quarter and then get outscored 38-3 for the rest of the game. And we have to watch these SOBs on TV on Thursday against the Titans on national TV? Trust me, as much as I love the family and I’ll get more into this tomorrow on my post, but nothing makes the Pourtout clan unhappier then a blowout in the NFL Thanksgiving game.

However, I’m going out on a limb. I think the Lions beat the Titans on Thursday. No team will ever go winless in a season, its impossible.

Cincinnati: You think the Bengals regret not trading Chad Johnson when they had the chance?

Kansas City: Giving 54 points at home to Buffalo? I have no comments or excuses for that one. “It’s embarrassing,” said Derrick Johnson of the Chiefs after the game. You think so? I would go with pathetic and season quitting-like personally.

Oakland: Oddest score of the week. I don’t know whether this is a praise of the Raiders or just a complete bad job by Denver. I like how the AP story recap for this game started with “Ashley Lelie and the Oakland Raiders both got even with the Denver Broncos.” Well done, Ashley, well done because we were all wanting to know how you would get back at the team that cut you and rightly predicted that your career was on the decline. Thanks for wasting the time of Falcons fans when I was living in Atlanta.

Houston: Winning at Cleveland these days should mean more but it doesn’t.

Cleveland: I’m not going to hit Quinn too hard because he has the broken finger and all, but that was a bad, bad performance against the Texans. First the Indians have a rough season, trading Sabathia, then the Cavs have to constantly deal with the “Lebron going to play for the Knicks stuff,” and now the Browns’ season is imploding. I would feel bad for those city’s fans until I think about…

Seattle: The Seahawks lost to Washington, but lets look at the entire landscape of this city’s sports. The NFL team stinks, the MLB team is bad, the NBA team doesn’t play there anymore (BTW, Oklahoma City fans, keep booing the team formerly known as the Sonics. They stunk in Seattle, what did you think, that a change in zip code was going to change that. I’m going to curse so turn the kids away. Fucking fickle fans. Ok, earmuffs off.) and the college football teams in the state are bad. That Apple Cup contest was ugly, it had drama, but it was ugly. Not good times for that state.

San Francisco: They were just recipients of the Owens/Romo show.

Green Bay: They were only down seven points at halftime and then lose by 22 while giving up 51 points on Monday night. Nice.

San Diego: These guys keep losing close games, its getting annoying and I’m not even a fan. Rivers had a decent game for my fantasy team. However, lets talk about Tomlinson. I really hope he’s injured and can recover in the offseason because right now, he is not looking the same.

Here’s some Massive Attack for you peeps, yeah, yeah, represent! I must be the whitest Black guy in America right now.



Arizona: Good effort against the Giants, but these guys have no chance on the road in the playoffs.

Miami: You want to single cover Randy Moss some more? One more chance. That defense really disappointed me.

New Orleans: Destroyed the Packers at home but since Joe Tiller retired from Purdue this week, it brings me back to Drew Brees, his first major star for the Boilermakers. I remember when Brees led them to the Rose Bowl and people said that his throwing motion and height would not make him a good pro. But give props to San Diego for taking him. Then, I thought Drew’s career would be over after some below-average years with the Chargers, then he gets his act right, they draft Philip Rivers and Drew blows his throwing shoulder out. Then he goes to New Orleans who was dealing with Hurricane Katrina and he has risen to a top-five QB in the league. Excellent career, great story.

Minnesota: Thy won their game against Jacksonville, but whatever. What has me peeved is that they or the coaches were holding out Adrian Peterson for whatever reason. I heard it may be for disciplinary reasons. Don’t punish the team and especially fantasy football players who own him like me with trying to take a tough stand. Play the man!

Jets: I have to take a step back and give Favre and this team props. They’ve won at New England and Tennessee and look good. I’ve been Favre’s biggest critic but he has led that team to a nice position and deserves credit for that.

Indianapolis: This may be Manning and the entire team’s guttiest season performance in a long time.

Atlanta: Michael Turner has been a major surprise for me. Four touchdowns in your team’s most important game of the year is a major statement.

Tampa: I can’t trust a team to make major moves in the postseason or even make it if they are going to fall behind 17-0 to lowly Detroit.

Baltimore: Behind the backdrop of the whole McNabb benching was a nice win by the Ravens. Ed Reed, you are a pro.

New England: Cassel has answered my doubts and they are going to be a tough team to beat in the playoffs. I would just be very, very careful if I was going to sign him to a major deal as a free agent. That system is great for a QB and that’s a veteran group. If the Lions, Eagles or Chiefs sign him, it’s a different ballgame. However, I will give Cassel credit for throwing under pressure because he had some good throws like that against Miami. Also, Randy Moss should have the ball thrown his direction at least 15 times a game, no questions asked.

Jacksonville: Laid down against Minnesota

Chicago: Speaking of Purdue quarterbacks, Orton changes the dynamic of that team. Matt Forte Rookie of the Year?

Philly: Wow, McNabb being benched was surprising in its timing. They’ve lost him for the rest of his career there. He will not be an Eagle next season, that’s a given. I kinda understand why they made him the starter for the Thursday game because Kolb isn’t much better and its on national TV, but after that, its time for the Eagles to move on and let McNabb play somewhere else and fire Andy Reid.

Buffalo: Edwards broke out with a nice game against

Here’s some Thievery Corporation. I know, I’m wearing these guys out on the blog but I’m feeling them right now.



Denver: The March Towards Canton for Cutler took a major step back. Losing to Oakland at home is inexcusable. Sad part is that they’re still two games up in that division and I did say that the first step for the March was for Cutler was to lead the Broncos to a division title and make the Pro Bowl.

The title may happen but as far as the Pro Bowl, I would take Favre, Manning (I know the numbers don’t hold up but he’s been a major leader for the Colts), Rivers and then Cassel before Cutler.

Carolina: Now I know why I called them a quiet 8-2 team before their loss to Atlanta. They have to play better away from home.

Pittsburgh: Good win over the Natti. Unfortunately, they have been supplanted by the Jets as the second-best team in the AFC.

Dallas: All may look well in Cowboy land after the beating of San Fran and Owens got the ball thrown to them but have to battle quick turnaround to host Seattle on Thursday. What am I saying, they’ll be fine for now.

Washington: Luckily beat Seattle to keep pace in NFC.

Tennessee: We all knew that the Titans would lose a game or two before the season ended. However, I didn’t like the defensive effort against the Jets. That worries me.

Giants: They are clearly now the best team in the NFL and as a fan, it scares me. I don’t like my teams playing too well because I expect the worst to happen. Jacobs being hurt is never good because they need him to repeat as champions.

That’s what I’ve got. Your thoughts are always welcomed.


No comments: