Saturday, April 19, 2008

My NBA First Round Predictions


Its now time for my NBA first-round predictions.

Before I give you my picks, I’m going with Boston vs. Los Angeles in the finals. I know that’s not going out on a limb, but those are the two teams in the best position to make the finals.

If those two don’t make it, then look out for Utah, Phoenix and Detroit. So look for a combo of those five teams in the finals.

Here are the predictions:

East

(1) Boston vs. (8) Atlanta: This series is a joke. As a Hawks fan, I’m mixed about this one. I’m glad they made the playoffs but was it worth losing in the first round and not getting a lottery pick. They are the only team in the conference that can look forward to getting smoked in the first round because at least they made the playoffs. Boston in four.

(4) Cleveland vs. (5) Washington: Best series in the first round for the east. The Wizards have been bounced the past two years from the playoffs by the Cavs so they are geeked for this one. Lebron is special but the rest of the team is not very good. Washington has Butler, Jameson and Gil is going to go off in this series. I love Washington in this series. Wizards in six.

(3) Orlando vs. (6) Toronto: The Raptors have been struggling lately and don’t have momentum. Orlando has been solid for the entire year and the X factor will be Rashard Lewis. I think he will bring it strong in this series. Orlando in five.

(2) Detroit vs. (7) Philadelphia: I would pick Philly in an upset special against many teams, but not Detroit. I like what Iguodola, Young and Miller bring to the table, but Detroit is too experienced. Philly makes it scrappy and even takes two games in the series. Detroit in six

West

(1) Los Angeles vs. (8) Denver: The Nuggets are a perpetual disappointment and will not play any defense. However, I can see them stealing game 1 and getting people wondering if they’ve turned a corner. They haven’t. Too much Kobe and Gasol in this series. I’m expecting Odom to play well and J.R. Smith or Kenyon Martin to start a fight. That should be great. Lakers in five.

(4) Utah vs. (5) Houston: The Jazz should be considered a serious threat to make a run. I will never, ever trust Houston in a playoff series. Utah in seven.

(3) San Antonio vs. (6) Phoenix: I’m taking Phoenix in a mini-upset. I think this is the year that the Spurs take a step back. I don’t like their old legs and I think Amare goes off in this series because Duncan is concerned with Shaq. Suns in seven.

(2) New Orleans vs. (7) Dallas: Oh, those Hornets. I’ve written a lot about them so you know how much I love this team. However, don’t dismiss Dallas. Dirk is looking like the player of old and Kidd is solid, this is just the wrong matchup for them. I’ll take the Hornets in a tough, tough series. Hornets in seven.

Those are the picks for now, I’ll try to put some more detail into the picks, but I had to get them in before the playoffs began.

1 comment:

John said...

I've just post my version of the playoffs preview. Please check it out and let me have your comments....

http://mundoalbiceleste.blogspot.com/2008/04/2008-play-offs-real-deal-starts-now.html