Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Good Samaritan


Yesterday morning, I was awakened by my roommate, Tom, informing me that our neighbor needed my car for a boost because his battery is dying. I wasn’t mad at Tom awakening me and we like our neighbor so I was down with helping him.

I enjoyed helping him, especially since I got to drive the wrong way on Belmont Boulevard, always a good time.

Anyway, we get his car started and he asks me if I have class that morning. I automatically say no but I have to get to the office soon to do some work. That was true, we had a baseball game that day and I was behind in my preparations for it. I really needed to get to work, but it wasn’t pressing enough to prevent me from helping a neighbor in need.

He eventually left and thanked me later that day for helping him but I still felt bad about my initial response to not help him more. I think subconsciously my mind was telling me that I was already helping him start the car and my work is done. However, that’s not the right attitude.

All of us want to help others in our lives, but up to a certain point. We tend to provide help up until a point when it becomes an inconvenience for us. Now, I did help my neighbor start the car and that was the main thing that he needed, but I should have been more willing to help him more. I let the continued rush of my life conflict with the need for me to be a Good Samaritan. I’m not proud of that fact but I’m working on it and you should to.

No comments: