Sunday, April 6, 2008

My MLB Predictions


Its that time again kids...spring is in the air...I still have to do my taxes...The ladies are starting to wear less cloting...its time for my MLB preview/predictions.

First, I'm a terrible but honest predictor. I show no favortism and am actually extra hard on teams that I like, especially the Mets. I treat it like my money is on the line and messing with my money is messing with my emotions, its all about the principalities of the situation.
Anyway, here's the condensed version of my predictions and I'll break down he divisions individually after that.

NL East- Phillies
NL Central- Milwaukee
NL West- Arizona
Wild Card- Colorado
NL Champions- Arizona
NL MVP- Prince Fielder/Ryan Howard (I can't choose). Ok, I'll take Prince
NL Cy Young- Johan Santana
NL Manager of the Year- Bob Melvin (Arizona)
NL Suprise Team- Cincinnati
NL Disappointment- Chicago and San Diego
NL Worst Team- San Francisco (even worse than Pittsburgh)

AL East- Boston
AL Central- Cleveland
AL West- Seattle
Wild Card- Toronto
AL Champs- Cleveland
AL MVP- Manny Ramirez
AL Cy Young- Roy Halladay
AL Manager of the Year- Terry Francona
AL Surprise Team- Kansas City (yeah, that's right)
AL Disappintment Team- Yankees and Anaheim (both by their standards)
AL Worst Team- Baltimore

World Series: Cleveland over Arizona

Here's how the AL East breaks down: 1) Boston- They are the most complete team in the division. 2) Toronto- They have the tools to overtake New York, they just have to stay healthy. 3) New York- They will still win around 85 games, but their pitching staff is too young and too old at the same time, which is hard to do. 4) Tampa Bay- The Rays are going to not finish in the cellar, congrats. They have some young talent. 5) Baltimore- Its going to be a long year at Charm City.

AL Central- 1) Cleveland- Most complete team in the division. I'm banking on Pronk finding his stroke again and C.C not eating himself out of a big contract. 2) Detroit- World Championship lineup, Pennent starting pitching, .500 Bullpen. This won't be Detroit's year. 3) Kansas City- I think these guys can surprise some people this season. I've seen their first few games and like what I've seen from them. 4) Chicago- I just have a bad vibe about this team and their overall chances. 5) Minnesota- They still have Mauer and Morneau, but they lost too much this off-season. As a general baseball fan, I hope Liriano comes back healthy, because he's a joy to watch.

AL West- 1) Seattle- Bedard will be the difference maker in this division. The lineup is solid, but not great. King Felix is a special pitcher if he stays healthy and I'm banking on a decent season from him health-wise. He stays healthy the whole season and he's winning the Cy Young award, its that simple. 2) Anaheim- I know they are the Los Angeles Angels of whatever. Anyway, their starting rotation is banged up, which I don't like at all. They will score some runs, but in the long run, they won't make the postseason. 3) Oakland- They blown up their team once again and are going with the youngsters. I trust Billy Beane's knowledge, but its going to be a rough year for them. 4) Texas- I like nothing about this team accept Josh Hamilton. The pitching is awful. Nothing else to say here.

NL East- 1) Philadelphia- I don't understand why people are lukewarm on this team. I think they have the best lineup in the division top to bottom and the pitching staff is solid. I would worry about Brad Lidge in the bullpen though and I know losing Rowland won't help the team. I still like them to at least win the division. 2) New York- Ah, my beloved Mets. I have such a love/hate relationship with them. Starting Pitching is ok. Santana speaks for himself and he will have a monster year. Pedro is hurt as usual and Maine and Perez are up and down. Fifth starter won't bring much to the table. Lineup is good but not as great as people make it out to be. There are some major holes in it, especially in the corner outfield positions and catcher. Bullpen is good. I think that they will not win the division in the end. 3) Atlanta- I really wanted to pick them ahead of New York, but I like the Mets rotation a little bit more. Besides that, Braves are going to be a good team this year. 4) Washington- Going to a new ballpark will give them a few extra wins and they are getting some young talent. Why the Mets traded Milledge, I don't know. 5) Florida: Ramirez is good, Uggla is solid and I like Andrew Miller. Everything else you can keep. We'll see these guys around in a few years and they will contend for a world series at that point.

NL Central- 1) Milwaukee- I love the experience that these young guys gained last season. These guys are ready to make the leap and take this surprisingly competitive division. 2) Cincinnati- I love to take chances in my predictions and this is a big one. I like their young arms and the lineup isn't bad at all. Dusty Baker brings them some credibility and I think they will finish second. 3) Chicago- Cubs fans don't want to see this. Honestly, I think the Cubs are better then Cincinnati and maybe even Milwaukee on paper, but I see them taking a major step back this season. 4) St. Louis- Pujols is a beast but doesn't have much support. Injuries and age have taken a toll on this team the last few years accept for the world championship in '06. 5) Houston- Oswalt, Berkman and El Cabayo (Carlos Lee) are solid, but not much else. Pence is good to and Tejada may be washed up. 6) Pittsburgh- I watched a Pirates/Marlins game on TV last night and only knew one or two Pirates. They're going to be bad.

NL West- 1) Arizona- The Diamondbacks win the most competitive division in baseball. The pitching is outstanding and the lineup will improve because everyone is a year older. They win a lot of close games and that wins divisions. 2) Colorado- I love the lineup and they have the experience. I still just don't trust the pitching long-term. Good enough to win the wildcard but not good enough to repeat a pennent. 3) Los Angeles-Torre, play the young guys and you may sneak into a wild-card spot. 4) San Diego- Money Pitching + Cheap Hitting = No success and an angry Jake Peavy 5) San Francisco- No Bonds + Old as Dirt Lineup + Young Pitchers still learning + Crappy Barry Zito = Last place in division and possibly worst record in league and baseball.

Those are the predictions. I would love to hear yours.

4 comments:

Basher said...

Santana 0-1 against the Braves thus far ;)

Braves 2-0 against the Mets ;)

Jared C said...

I like your predictions...Sort of.

I'm sticking with the Mets to win the East...Brewers to win the Central...Dbacks to win the West...Dodgers to take the Wild Card...Rockies to fall on their face after everyone picked them to win the division.

NL East Standings:
1. Mets-I love the pitching compared with the rest of the division and the lineup is better than you give it credit for...I know as a fan you have to be critical...I'm the same way.
2. Phillies-The Reds are finishing up a 4 game set with them today and actually lead 2-1...But watching the game Friday night, their lineup had me scared 1-7...And the pitching is GOOD ENOUGH I think to possibly win the division and end up with the Wild Card.
3. Braves-I have to be honest here...I think the Braves also can win this division...The reason I pick them here is that, quite simply, I cannot stand them...They are a close second to the Yankees in teams I wish would lose every game. Hey...At least I'm honest!
4. Nationals-Terrible, but better than Florida.
5. Marlins-Worst pitching staff maybe in MLB history...Andrew Miller has been ruined by being rushed to the Majors...Now he plays for a sorry team.

NL Central:
1. Milwaukee Brewers-If Ben Sheets stays healthy, they may finish the season with the best record in the NL and possibly in baseball.
2. Chicago Cubs-Here is where being critical of my team comes in...I like the Reds pitching this season and early season wins over contenders...But I still like the Cubs #2 in the division because they have a good lineup and DECENT pitching. I do agree with Mr. Pourtout that they will be a huge disappointment this season.
3. Cincinnati Reds-I like the pitching so far this season...I just wish instead of Josh Fogg in the #4 slot, we still had Kyle Lohse...I was not happy about letting him go last season. Also...The Reds would be a much better team NOW and IN THE FUTURE if they had traded Adam Dunn instead of Josh Hamilton to Texas...Dunn is a 1 tool player...Hamilton has the potential to be a 5 tool player...And they could have saved $13 million of wasted money!
4. St. Louis Cardinals-Encouraging beginning to the year, but I still don't think they have the lineup or pitching to maintain things through the season.
5. Houston Astros-With the way Oswalt is pitching, they will be battling Pittsburgh for last place in the division...This saddens me as Oswalt has been my favorite player/pitcher in baseball for a long time now!
6. Pittsburgh Pirates-The name is all I need for justification of this finish.

NL West:
1. Arizona Diamondbacks-Love this team. They have the best 1-2 punch at the top of their rotation as any team in baseball...Now they need to find a closer and I will be even more confident in them. LYON IS NOT THE GUY!
2. LA Dodgers-Best manager in baseball (idiot Yankees) and plenty of talent to win the league.
3. San Diego Padres-I still like the ace/closer combo and the lineup can produce enough to keep them competitive into August.
4. Colorado Rockies-I predict they won't even win 80 games this season and will be a huge disappointment to all the analysts who picked this team to do big things preseason.
5. San Fran-What Mr. Pourtout said...They are awful.

Thoughts on the AL will come tonight.

Anonymous said...

Dusty Baker will manage Cincinnati to the bottom of the NL Central before he gets them to number two. He's awful. I do agree that the Cubs will probably disappoint, though, and Milwaukee looks good. So that will leave room for the Reds to PLAY their way to second in the division, but Dusty will do his best to fuck that up for them.

Jared C said...

Dusty Baker...And already is running the Reds into the ground. His terrible decisions cost the Reds back to back games in Pittsburgh that they dominated and should have won...And they ended up being swept.

After starting the season with series wins over Arizona and Milwaukee and a split with Philly, Dusty takes the Reds to Pittsburgh where they lay an egg...

I have been warned by Cubs fans about Dusty since the hire...I hope they're wrong, but I don't think they are so far.