Monday, April 7, 2008

I love Laundry Mats


I actually enjoy heading to the laundry mat. I was just there to wash some clothes. The best part is that it allows me to see the crossing of cultures.

The one thing I miss about living in New York more than anything besides seeing my favorite sports teams and the pizza is the crossing of cultures. The beauty of the city is that all cultures cross paths so often. Millionaires and people on welfare ride the subway together. Black and white people go to the Mets game together. Men and women go to see plays at Broadway together. I don’t find this as often in other cities that I’ve lived in. It seems like everyone comes into the city to do their job but goes back to their own neighborhood to go home. There seems to be minimal moments of interaction. We have Titans games here and football is a great equalizer but it’s not the same. However, we still have two places that everyone goes to. Supermarkets and laundry mats because everyone needs food and everyone needs clean clothes.

Now, you rich folks with your own washer and dryer, first, I’m jealous. I’m all about crossing cultures, but I’m also all about saving time and energy. Anyway, I know that even you at one point in your life have used a public laundry mat. The thing about these places is that it’s a crapshoot about who is going to be in there. I saw one guy in there today who was about 65 wearing some short jhorts (jean shorts) and a sleeveless bright yellow shirt. Very weird. There is also the creepy guy that lives above the laundry that I currently go to who always stares at me every time I go there and is always wearing the same robe and slippers.

I’ve seen mothers beat kids, drunks begging for money and other exciting things over the years. There’s also the occasional person that you’re attracted to whose there. This was especially big in college. You’re getting your clothes washed and that cute girl from your sociology class walks in and you think it’s on. Only you annoy her trying to act like you care about that paper due next week when you really want to go out on a date with her. Ah yes, I annoyed plenty of girls over my years at Vanderbilt at the laundries at Towers and Vandy/Barnard. Good times.

Anyway, back to the cultures, I just like the idea of seeing different types of people in our society crossing paths. That’s why I enjoy the laundry mat even thought they keep raising prices every month. But at least I get to see old men in jean shorts.

2 comments:

Cat Leth said...

hah! this is so true.

Anonymous said...

1). The guy in the jhorts was probably a Florida fan, according to Conrad.
2). You have actually made me miss doing laundry in Vandy/Barnard and Towers. Congratulations.