Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Is This Supposed to Offend Me, Part 2


Usually when a celebrity comes out with a controversial picture or makes a strange statement, I usually defend them. People rely on celebrities too much for a gage on how they should live their lives. We tend to place our unrealistic and ridiculous morals that we would never put in our lives on famous people so that we can look high and mighty when we criticize them.

The same has applied to the recent “racy” pictures of Miley Cyrus in Vanity Fair.

First, from a purely eyeball test, I don’t see the controversy with the pictures at all. She isn’t half naked; all she is showing is her back. Also, I don’t think that she is looking over sexualized in any of the pictures; they actually look plain to me.

The problem is not with Miley but with the fact that our young girls are looking too grown up in our society. I guess Miley is 15 or 16 or whatever and people are freaking out over that fact. That’s understandable because she’s a minor and there are some sick people out there that find young, underage girls attractive. I’m not down with that at all especially when I have a niece that’s 12 and the thought of anyone having those thoughts disgusts me. I guess Miley is attractive but honestly, she's super young to me and I find nothing appealing about her.

However, there have been many times when I’m in the mall or just out on them streets and I see some of these young teenage girls wearing a lot of makeup and wearing super short skirts and loose blouses with push-up bras. I see it and even I’m appalled. And since I keep it real here, there were times when I was in college and around 20 years old and I would go up to girls and try to lay my game down and then she tells me she’s in high school. That would end the flirting right there.

Watching the news yesterday and watching the morning talk shows today had people losing their mind over the photos and saying that it’s the worst thing ever. This is exactly what the management at Disney, Miley and good ole’ Billy Ray wants to happen.

Don’t think that Miley just decided to take some pictures, put them in a magazine and call it a day. This was all planned. The agents, TV execs, Miley and Billy Ray all knew that these pictures would cause people to talk about her and build her profile. And it’s not like the pictures are of her naked, so nothing has to be blurred out and it’s not tasty but not offensive enough for everybody.

Of course you’re going to get the uber-conservatives who I hate against these photos, so they don’t count. But it’s the middle of the road people that have no idea who Miley is or Hannah Montana is but now know who she is and may actually watch her show or listen to her music.

Also, the thing I love about these situations are the fake “apologies” that come out. Disney says that they’re disappointed by the photos; Miley makes a statement apologizing for them, please. This is all part of the plan.

So if you were truly offended by the photos, that’s your opinion and I respect that even though I don’t understand where you’re coming from.

However, the better thing would be to make sure that the young men and women in your life understand their true beauty and don’t have to use their body to gain unwanted attention. Tell those mothers and fathers who let their girls dress in nothing to not do that. That would be the best way to show your disapproval of the photo instead of making generic statements insulting celebrities to make yourself feel better.

1 comment:

Vole-Tear said...

I don't believe a word of it.

In my opinion it is much more likely that Disney decided that Cirus could expand her marketing base from pre-teen bubble gum and cereal to lip gloss and cell phones by sexing it up a bit. She, or her father, were probably unwilling to flash some skin so they settled on declaring an otherwise tame photo to be "scandalous". Without so much as flashing a nipple, the controversy itself takes a tasteful photo in a top fashion magazine and sexualizes it before it is ever seen.

Why are we so gullible?