Monday, May 26, 2008

This will be THE SUMMER of Marcel!






What’s going on people?

Today was an unusual day because it was the first day since mid-February that I didn’t do anything with the Belmont baseball team. It was weird having a day off from them.

Actually, I woke up at around 8 a.m. this morning and was bored out of my mind. So, I headed over to the office and actually some of the baseball players turning in their equipment. I then went to the office and uploaded some information on my computer. Then I realized something.

I’ve become addicted to my work.

Here I was on Memorial Day, a national holiday, coming into the office to do work when my graduate assistantship officially ended when the baseball season ended. I’m not supposed to come back to work until August and yet I was sitting in that office about to do some work.

I couldn’t take a day off and not think about my job.

The cliché thing would be for me to say that I have extreme dedication to my job and that I live my life for my work and these would be good things. But that’s not a good thing.

I do need to find a job for the next few months to offset some expenses until I return to work on August. However, I’m tempted to just do nothing and relax for a bit. I need to get back to working out several days a week, improve my diet, and take care of my physical health. I need to meditate more and read some more, improve my mental state.

Most importantly, I need to take this time to truly find out what I want in my life professionally. I think that this past year has helped me learn more about myself personally but I still have some answers to answer professionally.

When I graduate from school next spring, do I want to stay in media relations? Do I want to stay in college athletics or do I want to transition to professional sports? Do I want to stay in Nashville? I need to answer these questions now because the last thing that I want to have happen is for me to be sitting here typing to you now without a job. I would be truly pissed if that happened.

So, this summer, I’ll just reflect, hang out, write some more posts, finally start playing my bass guitar again, catch up on my daytime television (General Hospital, I’m looking right at ya!) work out some more, make lists and continue to develop my friendship with Joan.

BTW, I had a text conversation with Joan today after the NCAA baseball tournament announcements, our teams got screwed by either not getting into the tournament, hello Belmont and College of Charleston, or getting a bad seed like our Commodores. I mean, Tempe to face Arizona State, really. Well, it was a good season for our Dores.

Anyway, it’s still odd having a friendship with a girl like Joan, who I’m definitely interested in dating but valuing the friendship more. Plus, she has the boyfriend and I’m respecting that. She has to know that I’m interested in her, because I’m not super smooth and she reads this blog, so she knows what’s up. The funny thing is I wrote about her a few posts ago, the one with the coffee picture, so I won’t go into more details about it. She needs to stop coming up in my posts, but it is what it is. The point is that Joan is new territory for me.

This summer will also allow me to see my family in Atlanta, hopefully spend time with Lisa and just enjoy life in general, because in August, I’ll be back to the crazy schedule and loving every minute of it. But I have to love my alone time before I can enjoy my busy time.

No comments: