Friday, May 16, 2008

No Female Roommate for Me


So I won’t have a female roommate and what I learned from the experience.

A few weeks ago, my former roommate informed me that he was moving out to another place. It was fine and it meant that I had to find a new roommate.

I placed an ad in various listings and I spoke of being a male Belmont grad student looking for a non-smoker, etc. What I failed to list in the ad is if I preferred a male or female roommate.

I started to get inquiries about the place and the split was about 50/50 men and women. I saw some guys come over and even thought I had a solid commitment from one, but he backed out and I was out to search again.

I starting polling some friends about if I should consider a female roommate. It was funny how many guys said I should consider it while every woman I spoke to said to not do it. I decided to keep my options open.

I kept getting inquiries from one woman, who I will call “Lisa” because I don’t want to use her real name and she may end up reading this at some point, to check out the place and I decided to let her see it. When I told people that I was having her over for a visit, the reactions were typical. The guys were excited about the prospect of me having a hot roommate while the ladies were telling me to be careful.

So, I’m waiting in my house at 5:15 watching the Simpsons as usual and I hear a knock on the door. I go over and I hear, “hey, are you Marcel?” in the cutest southern accent. I tell her its me and at that point, I decide that she’s too cute. She is a petite brunette that looks like Kate Beckinsale, who had been in my top-five (if you don’t know what that means, look at one of my previous posts) for a long time but is now a solid player who comes off the bench in crucial moments. Just the type of girl I usually like. She walks past my TV and tells me that she’s a big Simpsons fan. I’m like please don’t be so friendly.

I show her my house and for those of you who haven’t been there, it’s a nice place but could potentially lack privacy. Also, I only have one bathroom. Apparently this is a big deal when sharing a place with a woman, but I think to make that assumption is sexist and I’m not down with that. Anyway, I show her the place and she really digs it.

We head to my back deck and we chat for a good 20 minutes. We get the general questions out of the way like what do you do, billing stuff, pets, all the basics. Then, we start talking about each other. She works in medicine and is staring med school this fall, stuff like that. The whole time I’m saying to myself, don’t flirt with her. I was proud to say that I didn’t flirt with her like I normally would. But she was smart, funny, very attractive, gave me good body language, wore scrubs well (which is hard to pull off) and was just one of the nicest girls that I’ve met in a long time.

When I tell her that I work in sports, she responds that she isn’t a huge fan but likes soccer! Then she talks about how she likes international soccer in Germany and Italy! I’m telling myself that this isn’t real and I really need to not flirt with her because she is coming with some good things.

We finish our conversation and I once again poll people about what I should do. I get the same answers as before.

In the end, Lisa decided to live somewhere else and I found a guy to move in with who is going to be a good fit as well.

So I guess everything worked out well, especially considering that I’ve kept in touch with Lisa and we plan to have a social outing in the near future.

If anything, I found a new female friend to potentially have a good relationship with.

I guess the moral of the story is that you can’t have potential romantic interests in a roommate because that can cause problems in the future. If I did live with Lisa, we wouldn’t date.

I have a rule to not date co-workers, roommates, athletes in the school I work for and close relatives of friends. There are probably exceptions to that rule but I don’t even bother trying to work around that.

I wouldn’t have dated Lisa and I’m not saying that the two of us are going to have a torrid romance and get married or something like that. I do know that we had some chemistry when we were speaking with each other and that could’ve lead to some bad things.

I, or I should say that we since she told me she was finding another place, took the mature route and I’m happy for it. But if you ask my guy friends, they may have a different answer. But the ladies would be proud of me, so I have that going for me.

No comments: