Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Your boy is now a Tennessee resident (live the dream)!


Sorry for not making a post the past few days. I’ve been busy even though I’m technically not working right now.

One thing that did take up a ton of my time was visiting the DMV yesterday morning. Its one of those rites of passage that each of us needs to go through when we drive a car.

The special part about this event was that I was transferring my license from Georgia to Tennessee. This added a lot of bells and whistles that weren’t needed.

So I wake up yesterday morning and I debate if I want to go through this stuff now or later. I decide to just take care of it right then and there, knowing that it would be a long morning.

I go to the first place to get my license transferred and the line is already forming outside the building and this is at 9 a.m. Oh, I forgot to tell you that I got lost getting there, which is standard. I looked up the directions the day before and was doing a good job on I-40, but I missed my exit, so I had to reverse directions and find my way back, not fun. And the place was about 10 miles away, yay for me.

I enter the first place and I have to show them everything, my Georgia license, bank statement, electric bill, passport and everything else to prove that I actually exist. I have all of this stuff in my pockets and getting confused. So, after I check in, I have to fill out an application for my new Tennessee license, which takes some time.

If you haven’t been to the DMV in a while, you check in, tell them what you want to get done and then you’re given a number and you have to wait for it to be called. The DMV was efficient in the fact that they let me fill out the application while I was waiting for the number was being called.

When you’re waiting for your number to be called, it’s like the most agonizing form of anticipation you can have. You just sit there. My number was B115 (yeah, I remember the number) and I remember seeing numbers like B109 and B110 being called, knowing that I’m coming up. However, there are also another set of numbers like G198 and A045 in the “g” and “a” categories. So you here your category, in my case “b” being called and you’re excited that you’re going to be next. Then numbers from the other categories get called and you’re mad. I was getting mad that other categories were getting called. Where were the “b” numbers, I was wondering.

I actually started texting people looking for some conversation because I was bored.

So, my number finally gets called and a nice lady helped me, including giving me an eye exam, which I passed with flying colors. So she processes me, tells me to wait to get my picture taken and says welcome to Tennessee.

I’m officially a Tennessee resident, y’all!

I’m cool with this and I tell the lady to start processing my tags and my license plate. Bad news sports fans. She tells me that I have to go to another place about 10 miles away to get the tags done. Argh! And she tells me that I have to get the car inspected at another location. I thought I was done with this inspection crap in Georgia. So she gives me directions to both places and I get my official license.

So, then I have to head to the inspection place, which was actually less than a mile away, so no beef there. However, I enter the wrong direction and almost get into an accident because they can’t frickin label their driveway properly. I then enter a line of other cars wanting to get their cars done too. That took about 30 minutes of my life. When I finally get the car inspected, the guy wants to crack jokes, which I’m not in the mood for. I’m not a jerk to the guy but I’m short with him to make sure that he knows that I’m not in the mod.

Torrie gets inspected and she’s good to go. Then I finally head to the tag place to get my new license plates. This place actually looked pretty nice and I was out of there in a short amount of time.

So, in the end, Torrie and I are now Tennessee residents! What do we get? I’m not sure, even though my Georgia license and license plate looked cooler. The stuff in Tennessee looks too plain. I’ll have to get some flavor for my license plate.

The DMV treated me well and didn’t fit into the reputation for being jerks. I’ve never had a bad experience at a DMV, even though I’ve never had to go to three different places to get something done. I’m just happy I finally got it done.

No comments: