Thursday, May 15, 2008

Do I Really Want To Know My Future?


I was watching a recent episode of the Montel Williams show, btw, one of the most underrated talk shows and general TV programs ever, and he had Sylvia Brown, his psychic on the show. She was predicting to people if they would find love, if they would have a lot of money, things of that nature. The audience members would get a feeling of fulfillment or disappointment based on what she said. After watching this show, I was wondering to myself, do I want to know my future.

That felt like a Carrie Bradshaw moment from Sex and the City. Every episode, she would have something happen in her life and sit at her laptop and ask the question of that episode just like I did here. Don’t hate, I know all of you reading this watched Sex and the City, men and women. I’m proud to admit it and Mr. Big was my boy. Chris Noth represent!

Anyway, back to the psychic, I don’t think I want to know what happens in my life. Part of the excitement of life is not knowing what’s going to happen next. There’s also the fear of the unknown which is understandable. We may die tomorrow or find a lot of money or find our true love tomorrow and we don’t know it.

If I was told that I would have this job, live in this city, be in a relationship with this person, things like that before they happen, that takes away from the perception that I can control what happens in my life. If I’m told that I’m going to be living in Seattle in two years working for the Mariners, married with a kid on the way that would take the element of surprise away from my life, which would be lame.

There’s also the opposite end of the spectrum. If I was told that I would be poor, deadly ill or even dead in two years that would be terrible news. That’s why I respect people with terminal cancer and things of that nature so much because many of them accept their prognosis and live their last days with such vigor and happiness. I don’t know if I could do that and I hopefully won’t have to answer that question. However, if I did receive that fate, the tattoo and skydiving career would begin and that would have the potential to be epic.

The only benefit of possibly knowing your future in a clear way is that you can prepare for it, but why even bother doing that though. If it was meant to be that something good or bad was happening to you, why would you try?

No comments: