Sunday, May 4, 2008

What type of music would Jesus listen to


I don’t know how this one came up. Actually I do.

One of the songs on our playlist for our home baseball games is the Dobbie Brothers’ classic Jesus Is Alright. I was talking with one our many Britneys and I believe Jason and I told them that Jesus would be a fan of the song but wouldn’t appreciate his name being dropped in it so much. That’s how we talked about what type of music Jesus would be a fan of.

I look at Jesus as a mellow fellow who would appreciate music from jam bands such as Phish, the Allman Brothers, the Drive-By Truckers, Widespread Panic, the Disco Biscuits and others from that genre. That’s the type of music where the lyrics are reflective, the music is free-flowing and there are times where the band members just feed off each other and create the music right there. I think Jesus would like that.

I also see Jesus as a jazz fan, it just would fit his style.

The elephant in the room is would Jesus like Christian music? I say yes and no. I think he would be appreciative that musicians have decided to take his Word and express it in a way that others can comprehend it and appreciate it. He would like the mostly positive messages that are voiced. However, I don’t think he would only listen to Christian music. He preached tolerance and acceptance of all people and I think that would extend to his music selection as well. He would throw on the occasional gospel song but he wouldn’t limit himself to it.

Would he like music with a lot of cursing and profanity in it? Probably not, but he would respect the way that people have decided the way to express themselves. He wouldn’t like an artist who just cursed for the heck of it and did it to make some money. If the person was using the language in a positive way, if that makes sense, he would be ok with it.

Would he like loud music or soft music? Probably both.

Would he like to hear songs where his named is dropped like in the Dobbie Brothers song? Here’s how I see that going down. Let’s say that Jesus and his boys are attending a music festival and the Dobbie Brothers are on the stage. They say “hey fans, we have a song about our favorite Brother of all, this is for you Jesus. Let’s show some love for him.” The crowd would all look at him and applaud, because it’s the Jesus. They would play the song and Jesus would give the nod of approval, bob his head to the song because he’s a fan of the band, but he would be uncomfortable with all the attention.

And the Disciples were just a bunch of dudes who hung out together. You know that they would rag him all the way through Israel talking smack like “Hey Jesus, I wonder who your favorite band is!”

Also, you have to remember the man’s background. He comes from a conservative, stay at home mother and a carpenter father, working class. He would definitely be down with some metal as well, old school Black Sabbath stuff. I think he would also enjoy the dark music as well.

I also see Jesus as a soccer player and someone who plays bongos. I’ll explain this in the future.

No comments: