Sunday, May 4, 2008

So Now I Need a Roommate?



So my roommate is moving out.

These are usually a time of mixed emotions. If you don’t get along with your roommate, it can be a time of celebration. If you do get along with your roommate, it can be a time of concern to find someone that you can get along with.

For me, it’s a mixed bag. If you really want to know the details, just ask me and I’ll tell you.

Anyway, this is the second time that I’ve had a roommate in a place post-college. The first time was last year when I lived in Charleston. I met the guy who was renting out the condo, we vibed and it was the best living arrangement I’ve ever had. We each understood what was expected, we had satellite cable (HBO and Fox Soccer Channel!) and it was very relaxed. When I took the job/went back to school here in Nashville, I was actually sad that I had to leave that place. However, I wasn’t happy with my job and life situation there so I had to weigh the pros and cons and decided to move.

For this current place, I literally choose the place and roommate without seeing or meeting either. I saw the place, moved in and signed my lease all in one day. My roommate moved in a few days later and that was it. But for the price and how close it was to campus, I was fine with it. Now it hasn’t been as good as my place in Charleston, but it’s been solid overall.

But now, my roommate is moving out so it’s back to the drawing board. I’m not going anywhere; this situation is just too good for me.

I listed my info on craigslist and my goodness, the response has been overwhelming. I posted the ad Saturday morning and have gotten about 10 responses by Sunday morning.

The big question I have now is do I want a female roommate?

When I listed the ad, I put that I was a male roommate but I didn’t specifically state that I was looking for a male roommate. As a result, I’ve gotten inquiries from women about moving into the place.

Part of me is cool with it because as long as she’s clean and quiet and pays the bills, I have no problem with it. However, it’s always an awkward situation living with someone of the opposite sex in your domain.

There’s the uncomfortable potential nudity stuff, there’s the potential for each of you to be attracted to each other which could lead to some bad stuff and many other things.

I would prefer not to date a co-worker, let alone someone I’m rooming with.

I’m definitely not saying that we will move in together, she will be wowed by my charm and now we have a relationship, it’s just something to consider.

The good part is that I’m hardly home with work so she will be able to have the place to herself a lot of the time.

Also, if my place had a normal setup, I would be cool with it, but if any of you have seen my place, the two rooms are just separated by a door, it’s hard to explain. Just believe that it causes for less privacy then most places.

So, I’m seeing two potential roommates today, who are both guys. However, if they don’t work out, then I may have to look towards the ladies.

No comments: