Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sunday Reflections


What’s going on everyone, its time for those Sunday Reflections:

First, when I did my MMA Review from last week writing about my top-five walkout songs, how in the world did I forget Just Like You Imagined from Nine Inch Nails. I think that I avoided naming it because of its connection with the movie 300. I was trying to be “outside the box” with my picks. Go get the Fragile album by NIN like right now, its worth it:



-I’m watching the Super Bowl right now and actually enjoying it for the following reasons:

1) No Super Bowl party. I learned this from last year seeing the Giants win the big game, I don’t like watching games with people, especially at a Super Bowl party.

You will have the jackasses there who only want to watch it for the commercials. You have the women and heaven forbid the men who don’t know anything about the game. And you start answering terrible questions like have the Steelers always been in Pittsburgh, how each team did this season and what happened to the Cowboys. I can do without you.

2) No overanalysis. I didn’t watch one moment of ESPN this entire week. I didn’t read one story on the game. This was the best approach ever.

The problem with the Super Bowl is the over analysis by every talking head, every writer, the entire media. I don’t blame the media in so much that they have to cover the event but place the blame more on the fans who cater to this continuous coverage. We wouldn’t receive so much coverage of the game if there wasn’t an audience for it.

3) Lack of care for the entire game and the participants. If Pittsburgh or Arizona won the game, I would lose no sleep over it and that makes this game more enjoyable.

4) Rooting for both teams to lose. I don’t want Pittsburgh to win because they’re fans worship an ugly yellow wash cloth. If I saw a Terrible Towel in my presence, I would urinate on it and then light it on fire and then urinate on it again to put the fire out because fires cause damage.

I don’t want Arizona to win because I’ve had enough of Kurt Warner. First, that whole story about how they met that some of you have received in your e-mail this past week is partially bullshit. I don’t like feel good stories in sports.

A team wins or loses and God, Jesus, Satan, Allah, Buddah, who the hell ever doesn’t care. Sports don’t matter in the overall scope of life. It’s the truth and I work in sports.

5) Watching the game in mute so that I can listen to my new Thievery Corporation, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and Minus the Bear albums. Al Michaels and John Madden don’t do it for me.

6) Not giving a damn about commercials. I don’t need a commercial to tell me beer is good. I don’t need a commercial to tell me if I need a new car. I don’t need a commercial to tell me to eat potato chips. You get the idea, even though free breakfast at Denny’s on Tuesday is intriguing.

7) Not really caring about seeing Bruce Springstein. That’s actually not true. I’m from New York and love rock music, of course I’m a Bruce fan.

8) Not caring if my prediction is correct. When I wrote my last NFL Review post about predicting 17 of the last 18 Super Bowl winners, I looked back on having that much knowledge of the games and realizing that I cared too much about predicting the winner of the contest to later show my intelligence to friends and family.

Sports isn’t about predicting who will win and lose. The thing we enjoy most about sports is the element of not knowing what’s going to happen because every game, contest or match is different. Sure we look at trends and can foreshadow what will take place but isn’t it actually a good thing that we can’t always see what’s going to happen.

So if Arizona won the contest, no worries…which is a perfect segway to my next Reflection.

-I wrote on Thursday about the mellow mood that I’ve been in the past week or two and was wondering why I’ve been in this mood. I think in the end that I don’t worry about things that are out of my control and I’ve learned acceptance. I don’t seek to be happy or sad, I work towards living within the moment. I don’t worry about my job, school, women, relationships, bills or even family.

I have things that I need to do but none of them run my life.

However, in the past few days, I’ve slipping up from my regimen. I haven’t been in the gym, been eating improperly and that turns into bad things for me.

I need to remember my mantras, continue to get rest, meditate and I think that my tranquility will become equitable.

-I heard this song during all of the build up for UFC 94 which I will touch on in a moment. I’ve actually listened to People in Planes in the past but didn’t put together that the song used during UFC Primetime was Last Man Standing. Tremendous song:



-I’m going to hit on a major review of UFC 94 on Friday during MMA Review, but here are some initial thoughts for those of you out there that you can use to speak with MMA fans even if you don’t know the sport well:

1) I’m a huge B.J. Penn fan and his recommitment to MMA parallels my refocus on things in my life so I have a connection with the guy. My heart was telling me that he would win by TKO in the fourth round but my head was telling me GSP by decision. In the end, I said GSP by TKO in the fourth round and damn if I wasn’t correct. Business is business

2) With all due respect to Fedor and Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre is the best pound-for-pound fighter in MMA today. GSP outboxed, out wrestled and dominated Penn.

3) I watched the entire event at an MMA gym and with fans and fighters who really know the sport. We were so amazed at how GSP was passing Penn’s guard like it was a light training session.

4) Lyota Machida deserves a title shot. Its that simple.

5) Jon Jones will be the next star of MMA, mark it down.

-Why would I want to list 25 Random Things about myself on Facebook when I have a Blog with worldwide readership?

-Here’s what I plan to write on this week with some Reflections thrown in:

Monday: Final NFL Review of the year
Tuesday: Debut of NBA Review
Wednesday: Announcement of my first book for my Sports Book Club…that’s right, Oprah has nothing on me.
Thursday: Wildcard
Friday: MMA Review
Saturday: Whatever the heck I want
Sunday: Reflections

That’s all for my Reflections.

Have a good fight and good night. RIP Helio Gracie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i also hate super bowl parties / watching sporting events in large groups. thank you for validating this.