Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sports Book Club Announcement!



Hey people’s. Lots to get to so let’s start…

-That NBA Review post is going to have to wait until the weekend. If I’m going to do it, I have to do it properly.

-Michael Phelps smoking marijuana is something that warrants its own separate post but it perfectly ties in all that I like to address on this blog. That will also be hit on this weekend.

-You need some music, so here’s some Chemical Brothers with Believe:



OK, on to what this post is really about, the launch of my sports book club. If Oprah can have a book club, why not me or I or whatever preposition fits.

I like sports and I like to read, so lets just merge those two together and have some fun with it.

I’ve actually purchased two books and was torn on which one to start with because one is on probably my favorite current sport right now but may be less accessible to you and maybe less popular, while the second one is by one of my favorite authors on one of the most infamous championship teams of this generation.

So, the first book in the Pourtout Pancakes book club is…



Boys Will Be Boys by Jeff Pearlman, the author of one of my favorite sports books ever, The Bad Guys Won!, a chronicle of the World Series-winning 1986 Mets.

If you want to purchase the book online, here’s the link: http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Will-Be-Cowboys-Dynasty/dp/0061256803

Here are the stipulations/rules of the book club:

1) The first rule of the book club is do not talk about the book club.
2) Ok, that was a lame attempt at a joke.
3) You will have one month from the day of the book announcement to read it.
4) I will give you no clues to how it turns out throughout, to not spoil it.
5) I will pick a different sport/subject every month. So since this is a football book, I will not do another football one for a while.
6) The book must have been released within the past few years, within reason.
7) The book must be non-fiction.
8) The book must be available for you to get, no old-school or out of print books here, at least for now.
9) I will be completely honest in my review of the book, even if the author is a fan of the blog, which Jeff has actually left a comment on here one time.
10) If the reception is well enough of the book, I’ll try to interview the author or key parties within the book here on the blog.
11) Suggestions are always, always welcomed. Just leave them in the comments section.

OK, that’s all for now, I’ll keep leaving you reminders about once a week to read the book and give you a warning of when I’ll do my final review.

Have a good fight and good night.

No comments: