Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sunday Reflections- Sports Edition





Time for those Sunday Reflections, sports edition:

The music for tonight will be of Alison Krauss with Union Station. I like her with Robert Plant but when I think of Alison, I always think of her with Union Station. Love her.





-Once again, sorry that I haven’t hit you with two long, overdue posts. Life happens, what can you do.

On Monday, I will hit you with my thoughts on a list of the greatest sportscasters.

On Tuesday, the normal slot for the NBA Review will take place.

OK, those housekeeping issues are done.

-So Michael Phelps wants to smoke the weed. First reaction was me calling him a dumb ass because he got caught doing that. Dude, you’re a celebrity and going to get caught, especially in these times of camera phones, gossip attention, etc.

If you’re one of his handlers, you have to warn him about that.

I have no problem with him smoking marijuana. I’ve done it in the past. It would be incredibly naïve and hypocritical of me to critique the guy for doing it. Personally, the drug should be legalized but that argument doesn’t apply to this case. We have to work with the current rules.

I understand if a sponsor like Kellog drops him because that’s the company’s priority. If I ran a company and someone that I paid to be a sponsor was arrested or was acting in something I felt was detrimental to my company, I would drop them.

Standards for each company may be different. For some, curing at a kid or having an affair would be bad. For others, marijuana may actually be a minor offence and even applauded by executives for bringing attention to the company. Each company operates under its own standards and whatever it decides to do shouldn’t be criticized.

I also understand why US Swimming is suspended him for three or four months, which is funny because I don’t even think Phelps was planning to swim competitively in the next few months anyway.

Phelps already did his public apology and we will forget about this in about a month or two.

I’ve actually been surprised by how many people have actually supported him. This type of situation is always a prime time for the soapbox people to talk about how he’s a bad role model, this is bad for society, think of the children, all of that crap.

BTW, the “think of the children” people may annoy me more than anyone else ever.

-Good job Alex Rodriguez, that was awesome.

If you thought you were disliked in the past, you are probably not going to go to the Hall of Fame right now.

Its getting to the point where you have to just say that pretty much every ballplayer from that era must be put into question.

We’re already seeing the effect of the “steroid era” in Hall of Fame voting. Jim Rice doesn’t get in without the issues of Palmiero, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, etc.

Rice’s numbers now look even better.

Anyway, back to Alex. If I’m him, I would be pissed at the Players’ Union. How do you let those drug testing results get out to the public? You have, have, have to destroy the results of those tests the moment it was taken.

Not that Alex should play the victim card, but that’s a bad job by his union.

Oh, it gets better. Apparently, players were getting tipped off when the testing was taking place. Nice.

They’re going to just have to do this Olympics-sports style or combat sports and have a third-party conduct the test because MLB can’t handle it.

More analysis of this will come over time from me.

-Went to a Predators contest on Thursday and enjoyed myself. Hockey live is a fun event and I should do it more often.

-I’ve read the first few chapters of my book for the Sports Book Club and I like it.

-That’s all. Finally, good fight and good night and some more Alison Krauss and Union Station!



No comments: