Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sunday Reflections: Non-Sports Edition




I’ve had so many things to reflect upon that I’m going to break it up into two parts, a non-sports one and a sports one later.

I purchased the new Omar Rodriquez-Lopez album, Old Money, and love it. Omar is of course the guitarist in my favorite group ever, the Mars Volta.

I was talking with Kenisha about this and I need to get some stock in that group because I pump them up so much yet they are still relatively unknown, even though they are nominated for a Grammy this year, which I’m watching off and on. I’ll get to that below, but for now, here’s the title track from that album featuring John Fruciante from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers:



-I always get stuck into watching the Grammys because I actually hear of most of the artists, albums and songs that get nominated. Its unlike the Oscars where movies I haven’t even seen will get awards and I have no basis to say yea or ney to it.

Coldplay may be the perfect Grammy group ever. They aren’t too threatening for the older voters, hip enough for the younger and middle-aged ones, everyone buys their albums and knows their music so the Grammy committee won’t be criticized for not being mainstream, the lead singer is married to another celebrity so they hit the pop culture element. I really don’t know anyone who truly dislikes their music. Some people may not be fans of theirs but don’t find them bad.

-I’m not a fan of Lil Wayne and I don’t get his appeal. I remember dude when he was with the Hot Boys and was doing tracks on Juvenile’s album, 400 Degreez.

Anyone remember that album? It was the business back in college. Anyway, I’ve followed Wayne’s career and I’m still shaking my head at his development. Good for him doing his hustle.

-Carrie Underwood just performed at the show and I’m not usually a fan of hers and she’s still too thin for my liking but she can get it. My goodness, I understand the appeal.



-I’ve always had a secret crush on Alison Krauss and seeing her success with Robert Plant has been nice to see. In fact, we’ll make her the Crush of the Day.

She has one of the most beautiful female voice I’ve ever heard. Its so sweet and relaxing. I can listen to her sing the dictionary and would be down with it.

-Seeing Miley Cyrus perform with Taylor Swift made me think of only two things. First, Taylor seems nice but she couldn’t get it. I wouldn’t kick her out of my house, if you get my drift, but still. Second, how can Miley have a model-boyfriend who is in his early 20’s and she’s like 15 or 16 and everyone has cosigned on this? I guess the parents approve.

-Speaking of women that can get it, Katy Perry, she fits my profile to a tee.

-OK, enough Grammy talk. I saw the lineup for Bonnaroo and was into it, especially when I saw that the Volta were in it.

You have to understand, I’ve never seen these guys perform live and they are a tremendous live band. I have every album that they’ve done as the Mars Volta. I have every album they did with their old group, At the Drive In. I listen to their songs when I work out everyday, whenever I’m in my car, even right now, I’m listening to some of their music.

I really, really, really want to see them live. They don’t tour in America often, at least near Nashville. Bonnaroo may be the closest that I get to seeing the guys.

However, I don’t think that Bonnaroo is the place to do it.

Its not finances, I have the money, but I just don’t know if I want to deal with a festival.

You have to deal with living arrangements, strange people and other things that I’m usually not in the mood for.

It’s a tough decision because besides the Volta, Bruce Springsteen, Beastie Boys, Nine frickin Nails, David Byrne from Talking Heads, Al Green, Snopp Dogg…crap I may need to go to this.

Erykah Badu, TV on the Radio (my boys from Brooklyn), Band of Horses, Ben Harper, are you kidding me? Yeah, I might need to purchase those tickets now.

-Valentine’s day is approaching and usually I’m a bitter man about being single this time of year, but new approaches are always welcomed. You know this requires a separate post later this week approaching Saturday.

-Just saw Teen Wolf on TV, fun, old-school movie.

-This week, I saw the new movie, Taken. It was OK, good action flick. Liam Neeson was excellent in it and Famke Janssen looks tremendous.



Yeah, I know. The action was solid and I was not bored throughout it. The only thing about it is that when Liam’s daughter gets stolen, you kind of don’t feel so bad about it. His daughter and friend do some of the stupidest stuff you can do in a foreign country and I’m sitting there and thinking to myself, “of course she was taken and kinda deserved it,” that’s not a good feeling to have.

I recommend it, especially after seeing Benjamin Button and The Wrestler the past two weeks, I wanted something light and this accomplished that goal.

-Finally, well, first, thanks for reading this far, means a lot to me.

This week overall was OK, had some lonely moments.

Had a disappointing moment academically that made me mad and that started a two to three day period of feeling down on things which I’m starting to get out of some today.

I wrote about having a sense of calm for the past two weeks or so a little while ago and how that was a new approach of things, well, the calm is still there but its tempered some.

I still have mental and physical issues that will be with me my entire life. That’s a part of my life that I have to manage and make sure that it doesn’t harm my development.

There will still be moments when this guy will appear…

XXXXXXXXXXX

And you will see a post about my depression but that’s OK. I don’t have answers and definitely not solutions but I have ways to approach it.

That’s why either Friday or Saturday night, I looked at my mantras and reminded myself of some purposes and felt better.

-Finally, saw the first episode of For the Love of Ray-J on VH1, I’m in. Maybe the most beautiful reality TV show cast ever for a dating show, I’m digging Ray-J’s style and approach with his women and the unintentional comedy is peaking already.

Also, Rock of Love is coming along strongly as well. VH1 is coming on strong.

No comments: