Sunday, February 22, 2009

NBA Review


Sorry for the delay in the NBA Review, busy week on the home front.

I finally saw the movie, The Wackness, this weekend and I’ll get to it in my Reflections, but this throwback song was in the movie. Total and Biggie, tremendous stuff:



First some random, non-team specific thoughts.

-My favorite annual NBA-related column is The Sports Guy’s Trade Value write-up. I would attempt to do the same type of thing but that would be blatantly stealing. Here’s the link to it: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090212

It’s a good read for even the non-NBA fans. Of course I disagree with some of the picks but the premise is solid.

I talk crap about Simmons at times but this is always enjoyable.

-While its good to see Charles Barkley back on TNT, he needs to step his game back up. I like Charles and his off the court stuff is whatever. However, as far as an analyst, he has slipped. Chris Webber and even Gary Payton have been providing more analysis and comedic relief in the past three months then Charles has done in the past year. Watch NBA Fan Night on NBATV, it has good analysis and humor.

Charles needs to get back to doing his research and providing honest perspectives of the game without using lazy clichés. Hopefully this “vacation” for him will get him focuses.

-All-Star weekend was OK. Shaq’s pregame dance was tremendous. Dunk contest was OK. Enjoyed HORSE tremendously and it has potential to get better. That’s really it on that front.

OK, this week, I’m going to look at the most valuable player and the player that needs to step it up on each team in my reviews.

1) Los Angeles Lakers: Most valuable player is obviously Kobe. I think that the Bynum injury can be a positive and negative for him and the team. He will now feel the will to become selfish and not become the solid team player he has shown the first part of the year. See the fact that he scored 61 in the game against the Knicks and had only one assist. Tremendous individual effort, bad teammate effort. I would say that the player who needs to step up and has been doing it is Lamar Odom. He can average 15 and 10 every game easily, he’s that talented. If he can stay focused, the Lakers win the title.

2) Boston Celtics: Garnett’s injury for the next three weeks or so will be an excellent opportunity for all to see the most valuable player on that team, Paul Pierce. Garnett is tremendous and Ray Allen is solid but for this team to repeat as champions, Rondo has to step his game up because the rest of the team is weaker this year than last year, especially on the bench. Him getting 32 and 10 against Phoenix was a good look.

3) Cleveland Cavs: The MVP of this team is the one for the league this season. Ben Wallace…just kidding, its Lebron. The scary thing about this guy is that when and if and honestly, as a fan of the NBA I hope it’s when, he develops a reliable jump shot, it’s a wrap. He will win multiple NBA titles. He is unstoppable in the open court, guys bounce off of him. The thing he has improved most this year is defense. He’s not a great individual defender but he doesn’t have to be. As long as he puts effort on that end of the court, his physical attributes make him an elite defender. He’s also passing the ball more. Almost the perfect player right now, almost. Oh, he’s doing all of this as a 6’9, 270+ pound player and he’s only 24. Incredible.

The player that needs to step up for them is Daniel Gibson.

4) San Antonio: One great point that Simmons makes in his post and I will steal the stats for their MVP, obviously Duncan, is the consistency. Here’s this guy’s splits for his career:

Duncan (first three years): 22-12-3, 52 percent FG, missed eight games.
Duncan (next three years): 23-13-4, 51 percent FG, missed eight games.
Duncan (next three years): 21-12-3, 50 percent FG, missed 31 games.
Duncan (last three years): 20-11-3, 52 percent FG, missed five games.
Throw in the fact that he has also played 155 playoff games and averaged a 23-13-4 with 50 percent shooting, and plays defense at an All-NBA level. That’s ridiculous for a big man. Greatest power forward ever, sorry Malone and Barkley.

The player that needs to step up for them or really get healthy for them in this case is Ginobili.

5) Orlando Magic: Dwight Howard is similar to Lebron James in the fact that he is very good right now and has room to improve. If this guy learns some legit post up moves or some hooks, he’s averaging 28 and 15 for a season, those are Moses Malone and Abdul-Jabbar numbers, all-timers. Still needs to improve the free-throw shooting.

I like the Rafer Alston move to get some point guard play in there, it was needed but Rashard Lewis needs to start earning his max contract salary. I know that he made the All-Star team in the first half of the year but for Orlando to truly make a move towards reaching the finals, he needs to be that man.

6) Denver Nuggets: Tough choice between Carmelo and Billups but I will go with Anthony. Taking less shots this season but being more efficient, which can definitely be attributed to Chauncey. Anthony is also player harder on the defensive end this season which is an improvement. J.R. Smith is the true X-factor for this team.

7) New Orleans Hornets: I still have hope for my pick to win the NBA title to get their act together but I think that its over for these guys. Their most valuable player is Chris Paul, best point guard in the game. I said it from when this guy entered the league that he would be Isiah Thomas, but better and its coming up true. David West needs to return to his form from last year but the guy that really, really needs to step it up is Tyson Chandler, even though coming back to a team that literally traded you a few days ago must be awkward.

8) Dallas Mavs: Dirk is the man on this team and Josh Howard needs to find himself right now.

9) Portland Trail Blazers: Brandon Roy is the man on this team but I’m still unsure if he’s going to be the MAN on a title team. I see it with Lebron, Kobe, Paul, Dwight Howard, Duncan, Wade, Durant and even Derrick Rose. That’s my list. I hate doing it to the guy but Greg Oden has to be consistently on the floor to have an impact. I’m worried about the durability of this guy.

10) Houston Rockets: MVP has been Yao who has stayed surprisingly healthy. The guy who needs to step it up is Mr. New York Times magazine subject, Shane Battier. Its nice that the guy plays defense and all but he’s a complimentary part at best. You’re not going to win a championship because of him. However, the article was a good read, check it out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html

11) Phoenix Suns: I still stand by my statement to not ever trade Amare Stoudemire. I guess he’s my MVP of this team even though Shaq has been good this year. This one hurts to say but the step-up guy is Steve Nash. I know, that’s bad but his defensive liabilities are really hurting this team. You know what, screw it, I’m switching it up. MVP is Nash and Stoudemire needs to take some ownership and step his game up, even though he’s hurt right now.

12) Utah Jazz: MVP is Deron Williams. Player who needs to step up is AK-47. Sometimes its that easy…

13) Philadelphia 76ers: …and sometimes it’s not. I got nothing for these guys. I guess the MVP is Iguodala and the player to step up is Louis Williams.

14) Detroit Pistons: For being the true professional on that team, the MVP is Rip Hamilton. I was strongly on the Rodney Stuckey train last season and earlier this season but he needs to step his game up.

15) Miami Heat: MVP is of course Wade. I told you this guy was going to come back with a vengeance this year. Marion was the easy pick to step it up until he got traded. I would have to say that I expected a little more from Michael Beasley at this stage but hope is not lost, he is still only a rookie.

16) Atlanta Hawks: Joe Johnson has been good for them this year. That’s the MVP for the team. I like Al Horford as well. Josh Smith constantly disappoints me and now that he earned his big contract, I’m more than a little worried about that dude.

17) New Jersey Nets: Devin Harris has been the MVP and Vince Carter has been surprisingly competent. The dude who needs to step up his game up is our boy from China, Yi Jianlian. You traded Richard Jefferson for this?

18) Chicago Bulls: MVP is Derrick Rose, who is going to look even better when he gets some good players around him. I disagreed with Simmons’ accessment of him not potentially having the look of a leader because of his quiet nature. Rose will be an All-Star and can lead a team to a title.

I didn’t get my analysis of the Bulls from Jonathan, my resident Bulls fan, but I hear him get mad most at Tyrus Thomas, Ben Gordon and Deng, in that order. So we will say that the player that needs to improve is Thomas.

19) New York Knicks: The MVP probably goes to David Lee, which I didn’t see when he got drafted out of Florida. He will be overpaid in two years, exciting stuff.

The problem with trying to see the overall talent of an individual on a Mike D’Antoni team is that the system makes everyone look better than they are. I mean, I like Nate Robinson and all, but there’s no way that dude should be scoring in the high 20’s in some games. Chris Duhon is the same way for me.

I guess I have to go with Eddy Curry as someone who needs to step up. I could go with Marbury, I could go with Al Harrington, I can go with Richardson, the choices are endless.

20) Milwaukee Bucks: Sad times for fans of this team. Everyone is hurt. I guess we can go with Richard Jefferson as the MVP. I would honestly like to see some more from Charlie Villanueva.

21) Indiana Pacers: Granger is MVP, Jamall Tinsley needs to be out of the league.

22) Minnesota Timberwolves: I’m giving the MVP to Al Jefferson even though he’s out for the rest of the year. I’ve been enjoying his development this year and he should have been a starter for the West in the All-Star game, let alone have to be an injury substitute to just make the team. Randy Foye has played well and I’ve been hard on him, so good for him. Don’t really have anyone who needs to step it up, no suggestions?

23) Charlotte Bobcats: I have nothing on these guys, I forget about their existence everyday I follow the league. Have to keep it honest.

24) The former Seattle Sonics: Watch out for these guys in two years if they find a way to keep Durant. He scores in multiple ways, rebounds and will develop the rest of his all-around game and defense in the next year or so. He should be a junior in college right now. He’s 20, scary stuff. I have no other player to step up.

25) Golden State Warriors: I like Andris Biedrins. That is all.

26) Toronto Raptors: MVP is Bosh, who you need to watch out for next year in his contract year. No way he stays in Toronto. Can we just outfit him for a Mavericks jersey right now or is it too soon.

27) LA Clippers: What a mess of a team. MVP I guess would be Al Thornton but that’s not really saying much. Obvious player that needs to step it up is Baron Davis. Need more production for that salary.

28) Memphis Grizzlies: MVP has actually been OJ Mayo, who should be at shooting guard but doing a solid job at point. Mike Conley needs to take charge of the pint position.

29) Washington Wizards: MVP is a game Caron Butler. We need Arenas to come back strong.

30) Sacramento Kings: Kevin Martin is MVP, nothing else.

That’s all until next week.

No comments: