Monday, February 9, 2009

That Sports Broadcaster was ranked where?!?



You know that music is coming. Some Thievery Corporation:



The American Sportscaster’s Association released their group of the 50 Greatest Announcers of all-time in early January. I’ve been meaning to get to this list for a while but now have time to check it out.

OK, here’s the entire list with my thoughts afterwards:

1. Vin Scully
2. Mel Allen
3. Red Barber
4. Curt Gowdy
5. Howard Cosell
6. Bob Costas
7. Jim McKay
8. Keith Jackson
9. Al Michaels
10. Dick Enberg
11. Jack Buck
12. Ted Husing
13. Jack Brickhouse
14. Don Dunphy
15. Graham McNamee
16. Ernie Harwell
17. Marv Albert
18. Harry Caray
19. Jon Miller
20. Bill Stern
21. Chick Hearn
22. Marty Glickman
23. Jack Whitaker
24. Jim Nantz
25. Chris Schenkel
26. Lindsey Nelson
27. Russ Hodges
28. Ray Scott
29. John Madden
30. Bob Prince
31. Joe Buck
32. Milo Hamilton
33. Bob Wolff
34. Chuck Thompson
35. Chris Berman
36. Phil Rizzuto
37. Marty Brennaman
38. Clem McCarthy
39. Bill Walton
40. Foster Hewitt
41. Harry Kalas
42. Johnny Most
43. Bob Elson
44. Brent Musberger
45. Pat Summerall
46. Merle Harmon
47. Dick Vitale
48. Dick Stockton
49. Tony Kubek
50. Bud Collins
Runners up: Terry Bradshaw, James Brown, Andres Cantor, Skip Caray, Gary Cohen, Don Criqui, Jimmy Dudley, Joe Garagiola, Frank Gifford, Greg Gumbel, Tom Hammond, Sonny Hill, Ned Jarrett, Jaime Jarrin (pictured right), Charlie Jones, Bill King, Jim Lampley, Cawood Ledford, Verne Lundquist, Tim McCarver, Joe Morgan, Bob Murphy, Van Patrick, Herb Score, Jim Simpson, Bob Uecker and Ken Venturi.
Let’s get to it:

-If I had to include some of the runner-ups into the top-50, it would be Gary Cohen, Ned Jarrett (seriously), Jim Lampley, Verne Lundquist (an absolute travesty he’s not in the top-50) and Bob Murphy (Mets represent!).

Also, Joe Morgan (just kidding Meggie)

One guy who isn’t even mentioned, Jim Ross, should be included. For that matter, even Gordon Solie, no joke. I know that professional wrestling is “staged” (btw, its real and not fake), but I look at it as a sport and those announcers are significant and both of those guys were/still are great.

-No beefs with the top-10. Vin Scully is like Ric Flair for professional wrestling. If anyone argues that he isn’t the GOAT of his industry, that person might be hanging out with Michael Phelps in dorm rooms.

I personally think that Howard Cosell was overrated and tried to make himself the star of the show when we are there to see the athletes compete. I call this “Chirs Berman-itis” (trust me, I’ll get to Mr. back…back…back…back…)

I was around two or three when Cosell died so I really didn’t see him in his prime but I just don’t get the appeal that he had. I will say this, I respect the versatility of his craft which brings me to my next point…

-I would move Costas, McKay, Keith Jackson, Al Michaels, Dick Enberg and Jack Buck ahead of Cosell

I’m not the biggest Costas fan but I respect his craft.

Jim McKay is the GOAT when it comes to studio hosts. His work in the Olympics and Wide World of Sports is tremendous. Auto racing, covered the Indy 500. Horse racing, covered the Kentucky Derby. The man did it all in our industry. Watch his HBO special about his career, seriously. If you’re not emotional by the end of it, you must be a cold-blooded soul.

If you want more of a feeling on my opinions of Mr. McKay, read my post after his death: http://pourtoutpancakes.blogspot.com/2008/06/jim-mckay.html

Keith Jackson, that dude worked basketball contests, Olympics, I’ve heard the man do frickin speed skating play-by-play. Ridiculous. And of course, the true voice of college football. Still miss him in the booth since he retired.

Dick Enberg, you want to talk about versatility. Basketball, check. Football, check. Baseball, check. If I’m watching Wimbledon and I don’t hear his voice, it just isn’t right, so tennis, check. I’ve even heard the man do golf.

Jack Buck deserves to crack the top-10 because he had the consistency of excellence in one craft, similar to Scully. Buck is St. Louis Cardinals baseball and voiced over generations of fans in the Midwest. He also worked football games as well, respect for that.

-Overall, the top-10 has a Northeastern feel, especially with Mel Allen, Red Barber and Curt Gowdy, who each spent prominent parts of their careers in New York and Boston respectively.

-I’m showing my young age and ashamed of my lack of knowledge when I must tell you that I’ve never heard of Ted Husing, Don Dunphy and Graham McNamee until this list. Being honest with you.

-The rest of the top-20 is solid as well. I would place Marv Albert above Ernie Harwell, but that’s really picking straws. I know Harwell more for his work with the Detroit Tigers and Marv was a bigger part of my sports life, growing up in the NYC and seeing him do Knicks and New York Rangers games.

Plus, “yes, and it counts” is a fun thing to say in your best Marv voice.

I was surprised to see Jon Miller listed as highly and that was a pleasant read. Bill Stern, I’m a little less familiar with him.

Finally, we get to Harry Caray, truly the most OVERRATED SPORTS BROADCASTER IN THE HISTORY OF SPORTS!!!!!!

This guy was horrible and got by on image. I know you northsiders in Cubs land are mad (Meggie, don’t hurt me) but I would watch games on WGN and not get this guy at all. He would mispronounce names, screw up plays, talk in an irritating voice, awful to listen to.

I’m sure back in the day he was a good broadcaster but because you sing a song badly in the middle of the seventh inning, wear goofy glasses and sound like a buffoon doesn’t make you iconic. It makes you sound like a bad announcer.

-On to the next 10, Chick Hearn was hit or miss for me, respect the longevity. Marty Glickman is definitely regional. If you’re from New York, this man is a legend but if you’re not from there, you are probably like me with Husing, Donphy and McNamee.

I thought that Jim Nantz and John Madden would be a little higher.

Nantz gets credit for his versatility and he actually gets me interested in golf. Madden really gave the color man a personality, which was unique for his time.

-JOE BUCK SHOULDN’T EVEN BE ON THIS LIST!!!!!!

He is the worst current mainstream broadcaster on TV today. I actually put the game on mute when I hear that he is doing the contest.

His depressing commentaries make me not like sports. I’m not saying you have to have fake excitement like Dick Vitale but Jesus Christmas, sound like you’re happy to do the game.

Does he own some scandalous photos of Fox Sports executives because everytime I turn on that station, I have to hear his crappy butt. Super Bowl, Joe Buck. World Series, Joe Buck.

Its to the point that when I heard that he will have a show on HBO to replace Costas Now, I was visibly mad and it irritated me for an hour or so.

He always has to act like he’s better than everyone else and treats Troy Aikman like he’s just some other guy and not his broadcast. His whole “I’m Joe Buck and that’s Troy Aikman” line is insulting.

He always has to put his opinion in on a situation and act like he’s insulted half the time. His reaction to Randy Moss scoring a touchdown against the Packers and fake pulling his pants down represents all that I dislike about Buck.

He is the worst case of nepotism I’ve ever seen in sports. I really, really, really can’t stand that guy. Let’s just move on.

-If I’m going to rip into Joe Buck, Chris Berman deserves the same.

I’m not going to lie, I used to be a fan of Berman when I was younger. I enjoyed the energy, the catch phrases, the nicknames, all of them. I especially enjoyed NFL Live with him and Tom Jackson.

However, when you use the same routine for darn near close to 30-plus years, its gets annoying.

The main difference between him and Buck is that I think that Berman gets that he’s an act, so I’m not going to be as hard on him but in the end, I wouldn’t have included Berman on the list, especially his place within it.

-Phil Rizzuto was like Harry Caray-light for followers of the Yankees. He was OK in small doses.

-Bill Walton, you have got to be kidding me.

-Its darn near criminal that Walton and Berman are above the following people:

Brent Musberger. “You’re looking live…” Brent is a legend who has done all of the sports.

Pat Summerall. Another legend who has worked many different sports but I can kinda understand how his understated style may not be for everyone.

Dick Stockton. Professional announcer.

Tony Kubek and Bud Collins. Kubek was an excellent baseball announcer on NBC for many years, no idea why he stopped doing games. Well, just did a search on Wiki and he just got tired of where the game was heading. I get that.

Bud Collins is the man I associate most with tennis coverage.

-It would be like beating up on a dead horse, but I’m not going to go into how I’m not a fan of Dick Vitale. It gets annoying.

I will say that I can see him making the list because love him or hate him, he has had an impact on college basketball broadcasting and he is a draw.

Those are my opinions. I know that the list says “Greatest” but I think it leaned towards “Significant” or “Impactful.” The inclusion of Vitale, Berman and even Madden showed this.

I want to hear your opinions of this in the comments section. I know that you have an opinion on this subject, even if you disagree with me, that’s even better. Lets get some dialogue going.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude, i hated harry caray. my family used to mute the games and put the radio on. i also agree with you on joe buck.