Saturday, February 14, 2009

MMA Review


Hey everyone, this week’s edition of MMA Review will be pretty much me hitting on some topics in ramblings. Lets do it.

-The big story of the week was the purchase of EliteXC by Strikeforce. This is great news for the entire industry of MMA.

For us fans, we get to see more fights. I like the UFC just as much as everyone, but I want to see as many fights as possible because I love the sport. Furthermore, Strikeforce is a well-run organization that knows how to manage their product.

For the fighters, this is great because they now have more opportunities to fight and improve their craft. Plus, more paychecks, which I’m sure they’re happy about that.

For the industry itself, the exposure is going to be good, especially on CBS. Strikeforce will make MMA look good on TV from a production standpoint, and that’s nice.

-With the new deal, we get to see fighters like Robbie Lawler, Scott Smith, Kimbo Slice, Gina Carano and others.

Now we will see Frank Shamrock vs. Nick Diaz, Gilbert Melendez, and even KJ Noons vs. Josh Thompson on a card in April.

Finally, the two biggest names of EliteXC were Kimbo Slice and Gina Carano.

I’m mixed on Kimbo. As a more than moderate fan of the sport, I see the lack of skills that Kimbo has and see him as an attraction more than as a fighter. However, I want more people to see the sport and Kimbo does attract an audience so he’s good for that part.

Gina is fine too and I’m not just talking about her looks. She’s a good fighter and I want to see her face Cyborg. It needs to happen.

-Finally caught some highlights of UFC Fight Night 17, which took place last Saturday.

Joe Lauzon looked good in his submission in the main event. I liked what I saw once again from Cain Velasquez. He wasn’t overly impressive but you can see his growth. He’s going to contend for a heavyweight title in two years. Josh Neer got a solid win over Mac Danzig. Finally, Anthony Johnson looked solid in his win over Luigi Fioravanti with a first round TKO.

-Look out for the UFC 97 card in Montreal possibly not happening because of some new fighting rules by the Quebec Boxing Commission. More on this in another post

-I guess the whole Vasoline controversy from the GSP vs. BJ Penn fight has brought out something positive in relation to the sturdier regulations on contact with a fighter between rounds. Anything to make the sport more competent and legitimate is fine by me.

That’s it. As always, have a good fight and a good day.

No comments: