Monday, February 2, 2009

Final NFL Review for a while...or at least until July


Its time for the final NFL Review of the year. Mixed emotions. While I enjoy doing this post every Tuesday or Monday in this case, I was really getting frustrated writing about the same teams week after week.

There are only so many things that you can say about the Lions or Bengals. That’s why I started to add some pop culture and outside football items to make it more interesting for you, the reader, and me. I enjoyed my odes to Seinfeld the most.

Here’s how you should feel as a fan of the two Super Bowl teams…first, some general thoughts on the game itself:

-Good game. Excellent ending, but can we please lay off proclaiming it to be the best Super Bowl ever, yet. Let’s give it a week or two to digest before we make these grand statements.

-Game effort by the Cardinals but the Steelers did more to lose that game then Arizona actually winning the contest. If Pittsburgh was able to convert some short runs, then the game would have been potentially a blowout.

-I don’t give a damn about Kurt Warner, his wife, Larry Fitzgerald, Jr., Larry Fitzgerald, Sr., Larry the Third if he exists, Cuba Gooding, Jr., everyone’s mother, father, sister, brother, anybody. Just want to see the game.

-OK, here was my favorite commercial. Remember, I don’t watch the game for the frickin commercials, but this one caught my eye and made me laugh out loud, so it had that going for it:



I do daydream of punching small animals, especially koala bears. How did it get a pair of glasses to fit him or coffee for that matter?

OK, I like the E*Trade babies as well, but they didn’t even use their best commercial for the Super Bowl. This one didn’t make the cut but is the best one by far…



A final note on the commercials. I’m a fan of Black Eyed Peas, but to see Bob Dylan and Will I Am on a split screen darn near ruined my evening. Furthermore, seeing Gina Carano and Bruce Lee together just didn’t sit right for me as well.

-I’m looking forward to Dockett of the Cardinals holding out to start training camp next season after his breakout performance.

-Larry Fitzgerald is the truth but Santonio Holmes has emerged as well.

-Roethlisberger was a beast last night and now has two Super Bowl championships. I said from the day that he was drafted that he would be the best QB in that class which included Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers. I was pissed that the Giants traded up to take Manning when Ben was right there for the taking at the #4 spot. I saw him play for Miami of Ohio on TV and knew that he would be the business.

Am I still bitter for the Giants passing on him, yes, yes I am.

-Penalties didn’t lose that game for Arizona, even though James Harrison’s assault on that Cardinal was pretty nasty…speaking of Harrison…

-His interception return for a touchdown to end the first half was one of the most awesome plays that I’ve ever seen.

-Bruce did well for halftime. I wouldn’t have gone with 10th Avenue Freezeout but I was cool with that. Born to Run was necessary. I didn’t know the song from the new album but it was ok. Glory Days for a football game? I can’t cosign on that one. Plus, he replaced baseball with football in the lyrics, I can’t let that fly.

OK, let’s get to the teams:

Arizona Cardinals: Saddened with Happiness. You’re a frickin Arizona Cardinals fan. You went from the worst franchise in the history of the league to the Super Bowl. You can’t argue with that. Warner is coming back and so is the rest of the team. You may look back at how close you were to seeing the team win ten years from now if you’re finishing off another 4-12 season but you will look back on this and be happy. You’re too close to the moment right now to be completely happy with it so you’re sad but you will get over it.

Pittsburgh Steelers: Euphoria. Your team just won the Super Bowl and speaking from experience last year with the Giants, it’s a nice feeling. I think that the last Super Bowl win against the Seahawks meant more because a whole generation of fans went without getting a title. However, the Steelers are going nowhere. In fact, I think that they win the Super Bowl once in the next two years to get three for this decade and become the team of the decade or something like that. Plus, the Steelers are the best run organization in the league so you have no worries of them turning into the Raiders anytime soon.

That’s really all I got for you tonight. Have a good night and get ready for the launch of the NBA Review starting tomorrow night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I refuse to read Rick Reilly's columns, but the teaser on espn.com for it implies that it is about how the Steelers fans deserved to have their team win the Super Bowl.

Thought you might have something to say about that in a future post.