Friday, January 30, 2009

MMA Review



Its time for that MMA Review!

Of course, this whole post will be on UFC 94, the biggest mixed martial arts event in the history of the sport in the world!!!

In all seriousness, besides the incredible B.J. Penn vs. Georges St. Pierre main event, the entire card has some excellent depth.

-I’m interested to see how Stephan Bonnar recovers from his injuries and implements himself into the light heavyweight division. Before he had his knee injury, he was developing solidly in his career. However, he’s been off for more than a year and after what we saw in the Shogun Rua/Mark Coleman fight earlier this month, ring rust is something that can’t be ignored. Its one thing to train and another thing to fight.

-Jon Fitch fighting in the preliminary bouts, that’s cold.

-The potential fight of the night can be Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida, seriously. Guida brings the energy and Diaz is a talented fighter. I’m looking forward to this one and the winner will make a case in the lightweight division.

-It’s always fun to see Karo “The Heat” Parisyan fight.

-I hate to say it but Lyoto Machida is boring. However, that doesn’t mean that he isn’t effective, a top-five light heavy and deserves a title fight. He should be fighting Evans for the title. However, he better not look past Thiago Silva because Silva is the type of fighter that can push the pressure and catch you. I still think that Lyoto wins but it isn’t a lock.

-Ok, on to the big event. First, I must preface this by saying that my two favorite MMA fighters are Matt Serra, Frank Mir and B.J. Penn. So whenever you read a prediction that I may have for a fight involving those three guys, beware.

I loved the UFC Primetime show where you saw how GSP and B.J. prepared for the event. I do think that the editing was pushed more positively towards GSP, but that’s understandable. GSP is a good looking guy who trains hard, is good with the media, doesn’t get in trouble and as clean cut as you will find in an MMA fighter.

B.J. is just really honest and has a Hawaiian mentality about things which isn’t a bad thing but can be perceived as lazy. B.J. isn’t going to wear himself out in cold weather and overstress himself like GSP. I think that B.J. taking some days off from training is a perfect example of this.

I can definitely see GSP coming into this fight tight and nervous, which is something you don’t want to have in a title match. B.J. is going to come in more loose, which can be a problem as well.

There are so many angles that this fight can be taken. I think that they’re first fight doesn’t carry much into this one because both men are much better fighters this time around.

The fight being five rounds is a factor. We know that GSP will be in shape and can go but even I can’t ignore B.J.’s cardio issues.

Here’s what I don’t see happening:

-B.J. winning by knockout
-GSP winning by knockout
-GSP winning by submission
-B.J. winning by decision

I think that if B.J. comes in shape and healthy, he wins the fight via TKO.

My heart is saying to take B.J. via TKO in the fourth round.

My head is saying GSP by decision.

I think that the question has to be what does the UFC hopes happen. I think that they actually want GSP to win. The reason I say that is as cool as it would be for one man to own two belts at the same time, its bad for business.

If B.J. wins, then he’s going to have to defend two titles at the same time which means less PPV main events. Plus, while B.J. is defending his lightweight title, the welterweight title will be in limbo.

I’m not saying that the UFC is going to try to influence the result or anything like that, because even if they wanted to, they can’t legally do it. Just something to consider.

But I’m going to ignore all of that tomorrow night and enjoy the fight between two of the best fighters in the world.

GSP by TKO in the fourth. Business is business.

No comments: