Tuesday, January 27, 2009

NFL Review


First, saw The Wrestler tonight. Tremendous movie, better than Benjamin Button. Still have to see Gran Torino and Slumdog Millionaire before the Oscars. Still think that The Dark Knight should have been nominated.

OK, that’s for tomorrow night in my movie review. However, the main character, Randy “The Ram” used this Quiet Riot song as his walkout song, which rocks. I can’t hear this song now without thinking of The Ram. Here it is in all of its cheesy 80’s glory:



Its time for the next to final edition of the NFL Review!

I’ll get to the Super Bowl in a moment, but I want to continue my series on how you should feel if you’re a fan of a team that lost in the playoffs. Two of them lost in the conference championship games last week.

Baltimore: Cautiously concerned. I would say completely concerned because you’re probably going to lose half of your defense to free agency within the next year or two. Furthermore, your offense isn’t inspiring enough to me. Baltimore goes three and out is a phrase that happens too often during a game.

However, you were working with a rookie quarterback and head coach, two positions that are bad to be inexperienced in yet you made the title game of the tough AFC. I liked Flacco from day one. People were asking if he was ready to play. Its not like Joe Montana was ahead of him, it was frickin Troy Smith (who I still think has a chance in this league) and the perpetually disappointing Kyle Boller. Please. The Ravens made the right move and now have a legit QB to work around. In the end, the Ravens will probably not reach this point again for a few years but you never know.

Philadelphia: Laterally perplexed. I don’t know if that’s a term but it fits. Your team lost another NFC Championship game, so its like you’re not going anywhere forward. You have the most inconsistent good quarterback I’ve ever seen in McNabb. He looks like crap for a quarter, looks decent for two and then the last one you never know what you’re getting. You have a stubborn head coach who I would still consider firing. You have a front office that refuses to spend on offense accept for signing Westbrook to a long-term deal.

Furthermore, you live in Philadelphia, which should have you perplexed. Actually, Philly is one of my favorite cities, I just can’t stand the fans.

I think that the Eagles are in for some potentially hard times in the next year or two, like 6-10 type finishes to a season.

OK, that takes care of old news. Now on to the Super Bowl.

I stated in an earlier post that I’ve been correct in predicting the straight up winner of 17 of the last 18 Super Bowls and that’s no joke. It’s really not that hard to pick the winner which you will see in my review of each of those picks over the years from straight memory and not looking up old information, no bull crap my sports memory and knowledge is that good.

Super Bowl 25: BTW, we’re not going to use Roman Numerals. Sometimes I wish the NFL would just do like the UFC and just number out the games.

OK, so this was my first prediction when my favorite team, the Giants, faced the Buffalo Bills. The thing I remember from this contest was the week before. The Giants went to San Francisco and beat the two-time defending Super Bowl champs, the 49ers, 15-13 to get to the big game. Granted they needed five field goals from Matt Bahr, but I knew that this would become the gameplan to beat the Bills, who destroyed the Raiders in the AFC Championship, but LA was without Bo Jackson who injured his hip in the previous week playoff game against the Bengals. I knew that the Giants would play ball control and keep it tight. Furthermore, the two teams played each other earlier in the season and granted, the Bills won, but they were at home and this also allowed the Giants to prepare better for the contest. I knew that O.J. Anderson, the Giants RB and eventual MVP of the game would bring a big effort and he did. Jeff Hostletter did a good job as well, including hitting Mark Bavaro and Steven Baker, the touchdown maker, for a big touchdown in the contest.

As for the game, it was very good and Thurman Thomas should have won MVP of the game, even though the team lost. The Giants defense came up big, especially the secondary defending Andre Reed. Scott Norwood missed the big kick but it was a 47-yarder on grass with old conditions that were tougher on a kicker then than now.

The Giants winning the game was the moment that made me love sports but it also taught me to treat my picks like my house was on the line, all business. Second toughest Super Bowl pick I’ve ever made.

Super Bowl 26: Ok, that last one was long so I’ll keep this one short. I liked the Redskins all season and actually beat game opponents, the Falcons and Lions, in the playoffs. Buffalo was decent too and actually got past a good KC team with Joe Montana in the AFC championship game. The Bills looked even scarier this season than the last one but I just had a hunch for Washington in the game.

Super Bowl 27: The first contest between Buffalo and Dallas. The Cowboys were loaded, beat the 49ers in the NFC title game in an instant classic and wouldn’t be beat. Buffalo wasn’t ready.

Super Bowl 28: Buffalo vs. Dallas II and the Bills actually held a lead in this one in the second half. Too much Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, defense and everything else.

Super Bowl 29: Easiest pick I’ve ever had. You mean to tell me that San Diego, a team that barely beat Pittsburgh in the AFC title game, granted it was on the road, was going to beat Steve Young, Ricky Watters, Jerry frickin Rice, Deion Sanders, Merlon Hanks and that crew? Please. Thank goodness I was too young to gamble because I would have put my life savings and the rest of the money in my family on the 49ers. That would have set a bad precident. Furthermore, when your starting quarterback is Stan Humpheries, game over!

Super Bowl 30: I actually thought Pittsburgh had a legit shot of winning this game, even though they needed a failed hail mary pass from an underdog Indy team in the AFC title game to get there. But in the end, I just took the more talented team in the Cowboys. Neil O’Donnel helped me out greatly by making Larry Brown look like Nighttrain Lane, Lester Hayes, Deion Sanders and Ed Reed all wrapped up into one with gift-wrapped interceptions. Third hardest Super Bowl pick for me.

Super Bowl 31: Green Bay finally made it to the Super Bowl and beat New England. Funny story, both teams beat expansion franchises to get there in home playoff championship games. I saw Green Bay handle Carolina pretty solidly and New England struggle against Jacksonville. I went with the most talented team again and picked Green Bay.

Super Bowl 32: This is the second-most proud pick I’ve ever made and the hardest one that I ever made. I was truly split between Green Bay and Denver. The Packers were defending champs, looked great the whole season, no major holes. The Broncos had baggage with Elway losing three previous Super Bowls and looked average most of the season. However, when I saw Denver go into Pittsburgh and win that AFC title, I was intrigued. I liked what Terrell Davis was bringing on offense, finally balancing out things for Elway. The defense was legit as well. You also had the NFC winning like 14 or 15 straight Super Bowls as well.

I went with the Broncos to pull off the upset and it really could have gone either way. I was fortunate with this one and felt good with the pick. Underrated game by the way.

Super Bowl 33: Denver was going to destroy Atlanta, who got so frickin lucky to get past Minnesota in the NFC title game. I was so confident with this pick. The Broncos were going for the repeat, Atlanta was just happy to be there, Ray Buchannan had to piss off Shannon Sharpe with his whole dog collar thing, Eugene Robinson decides to get a hooker the night before the game, causing distractions. This was so easy to see.

Super Bowl 34: This is the only pick that I’ve gotten wrong in all of these years. I was a freshman at Vandy at the time and got caught up in the Titans fever. I was rooting with my heart and didn’t like the Rams. Here were the reasons why:

-They were too flashy
-Played in a dome
-Played on turf
-Kurt Warner was too nice and got too much credit.
-The media’s portrayal of Warner as the next Great White Hope.
-Lack of attention to Torry Holt, Issac Bruce and especially Marshall Faulk, the true MVP of the team, because they were Black (I was young)
-Dick Vermil cried too much (and still does)
-Their defense was suspect
-Didn’t like the owner,
-Most importantly, what the hell was St. Louis doing with the Rams when they should be in LA?

I picked the Titans for all superficial reasons and not reasons on the field. BTW, if I hear one more Titans fan or even media member say that they were one yard away from winning the Super Bowl, I’m going to punch someone in the privates:

IF THE TITANS SCORED THAT TOUCHDOWN IN THE FINAL PLAY OF THE GAME, THEY WOULD HAVE STILL BEEN DOWN BY ONE POINT. THEY WOULD HAVE HAD TO KICK A FIELD GOAL TO TIE THE GAME AND TAKE IT TO OVERTIME. EVEN IF THEY WENT FOR TWO AND CONVERTED TO WIN THE GAME, THAT TOUCHDOWN WOULDN’T HAVE TECHNICALLY WON THE GAME FOR THEM.

THE FINAL PLAY WOULD NOT HAVE WON THE GAME FOR THE TITANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say that as a Titans fan and without hate but the facts are the facts. This game taught me to be cold with my picks and be emotionless.

Super Bowl 35: And I got my first test to be emotionless when the Giants returned to the Super Bowl to face the Ravens. I picked Baltimore and had no shame in doing it. Kerry Collins against that defense. Business is business.

Super Bowl 36: My proudest prediction ever. I honestly think that me and Tom Jackson were the only people that picked the Patriots to beat the Rams in the Super Bowl. My main reason was Bill Belicheck. As a Giants fan, I saw what his defense did against the Bills in the Super Bowl and I knew that he would have a similar effect in this game. I wasn’t worried too much about Tom Brady being in his first Super Bowl.

Besides Bill, I had a hunch about the Patriots. I also had a feeling that Mike Martz would find a way to blow that game for the Rams. Faulk should have been more involved in the game. If Faulk touches the ball five more times, I truly believe that the Rams win that game.

Super Bowl 37: Tampa Bay beats Oakland. I remember Tampa going into Philly and beating the Eagles in the NFC title game to go to the Super Bowl and rode that momentum. I was kinda going for Oakland in the game because I couldn’t stand Jon Gruden, Warren Sapp and especially Keyshawn Johnson. Hard guys to like. I did like Derrick Brooks and John Lynch.

Super Bowl 38: Patriots back in the Super Bowl to face Carolina. I went with experience but the Panthers gave this one a good effort.

Super Bowl 39: New England facing an Eagles team that finally made it to the big game. Brady vs. McNabb, Belicheck vs. Andy Reid, I arrest my case.

Super Bowl 40: I knew that Seattle would lose this contest when I saw Shaun “however the hell you spell his first name” Alexander get hit in the divisional playoff game against the Redskins and leave the game. Only while he’s out of the game, the Seahawks score a touchdown and he’s celebrating, jumping up and down, smiling like he won the lottery. Bad, bad, bad omen. Pittsburgh was coming off of road wins against Indy and Denver. I liked the makeup of the team, went with that and kept the streak alive.

Super Bowl 41: Rex Grossman starting a Super Bowl game. Next.

Super Bowl 42: Some of you may be saying that I picked the Giants because they’re my team. But if you see Super Bowl 35, emotions don’t get in the way. When the Giants lost the Pats in the final game of the regular season, you saw the blueprint of how to beat New England. You need an excellent pass rush with only four guys on your defensive line because if you blitz New England, they pick you apart. You need to play some keep away with a good running game which the Giants had. Finally, you had to not be phased facing the seemingly invincible Patriots which was destroyed in the regular season game.

Wes Welker nearly gave me a heart attack in that game but the Giants won and that was exciting.

Whoo, that takes care of all of the previous games. So what about the Cardinals and Steelers?

You will have to wait until Friday for my pick but here are the main factors to look at when picking your game:

1) How they looked in the last two games, especially the conference title games?
2) Experience at quarterback
3) Who wins the battle of lines
4) If stuck with whether to pick the team with the better passing or rushing attack, stick with rushing

That’s all. Good fighting and good nighting for all of you.

No comments: