Thursday, January 15, 2009

Random Observations and Crush of the Day


First, some music from Booka Shade:



I’m writing to you from chilly Nashville tonight where the temperatures will reach the single digits and with wind chill, we may even witness temperatures in the negative numbers.

Being born and raised in the northeast, I should be used to this weather and enjoying it. However, since moving down to the southeast and living here for the past nine years or so, I must admit that I don’t miss the cold weather at all. My favorite seasons of the year are fall and spring, in that order, so that should tell you what my preferences are.

This reminds me of the first time that I got cable back in the early 1990’s. When you first get cable as a kid, you watch every channel as much as you can because you feel that if you don’t, you will miss something special. I remember spending hours watching MTV, VH1, Discovery Channel, USA and of course ESPN and the other sports networks.

The one channel that intrigued me more than any besides the sports ones was the Weather Channel. I was just fascinated with knowing what the temperature was in other parts of the country. It used to annoy me that when I was shoveling snow people in California were at the beach.

I will never forget one moment however. I was getting ready for school one day when the meteorologist was discussing the weather in the Midwest and went to Minneapolis. He or she said with a straight face that the high today would be three degrees and was actually happy to report that this was an increase over the previous days.

At that moment, I knew that I would probably not live in that part of the country. Even now, when Fargo, North Dakota was at around -28 degrees, without wind chill, that’s not even livable.

I know that this cold front will pass in a few days and things will return to normal, thankfully.

I just feel terrible for the homeless, people without heat and stray cats. I haven’t seen Spankey in several days and I’m concerned for my stray cat. Hopefully he found a place to sleep that is warm and I can start feeding him again.

-I’m happy that Scrubs has come back after all. I was very hesitant with the direction of the show in the past year but things are looking good now that they’re on ABC. I’ll hit you with a more detailed Scrubs analysis over the weekend.

-Also this weekend, I came across a list of the top-50 sports broadcasters of all time and I have some major opinions about it. Lets just say that two certain ESPN personalities on the list are disturbing, ok screw it. How the heck is Chris Berman ahead of Brent Musberger, Pat Summerall, Dick Stockton, Tony Kubek and Bud Collins. Berman couldn’t hold Musberger’s jockstrap if it came to calling a game.

Also, Bill Walton #39, are you f*cking kidding me!?!

That’s just a preview folks, I got major beefs with this list.

-Crush of the Day is Leah Remini of King of Queens fame. She represents the NYC hard, in fact she is from Bensonhurst, a section of Brooklyn. I’m from Williamsburgh, another section of Brooklyn as well. I’m ran with so many people like her, she reminds me of home.

I’ll always remember her as Stacey Carosi on Saved By The Bell, who’s with me? You remember her, when the entire Bayside gang decided to get a job at the Malibu country club for the summer. Slater and Kelly were lifeguards, Zach was a host, Jessie was a hostess, Lisa’s parents were members of the club so she just hung out. Sceech, don’t remember what he did.

The fact that I remembered all of that without looking it up is either a sad commentary or positive statement about me.

Anyway, back to Leah. She seems like the type of woman who would be down with you for whatever and not too prissy, if you know what I mean. She also had an underrated reality show on VH1 twice. The first one was about her getting married and the second one was about her having her child. It was called Inside Out and after watching that, I became an even bigger fan of hers.

That’s all for this evening. Tomorrow is MMA review with a preview of the latest UFC pay-per-view coming up this Saturday.

As always, have a good fight, an even better night and stay warm out there.

No comments: