Sunday, January 4, 2009

MMA Review



Hey everyone. Its time for the MMA Review, granted a few days later then it should be. First, while doing my last post, I came across this tremendous footage of the infamous live concert of Metallica back in 1989. These guys are the reason that I got into hard rock and metal back in the early 1990’s as an elementary school kid. Sure, I had some MC Hammer and Michael Jackson albums but Metallica was right there. Here’s Master of Puppets from that show (They use a curse word or two so it unfortunately gets the possible NSFW label. But if you’re home, blast the hell out of this!)



OK, on to the review and specifically UFC 92. I was impressed with Kongo’s win over Al-Turk. Cheick has a chance to be a major player in the heavyweight division if he improves his ground attack. His standup is solid, especially his kicks.

I was correct in picking Rampage to beat Silva, I just didn’t expect it to be a knockout by a left hook that Silva probably shakes off six or seven years ago. I’m not taking anything away from Rampage, I like the guy. Rampage looked focused, in good shape and prepared to make a major run to get his light heavyweight title back.

I really, really wanted to pick Mir to beat Minotaro but I just thought that in the end that Nog would find a way to pull out the win. I liked Mir’s standup and conditioning for the fight and I thought that the most telling sign was when Mir got a knockdown of Nog and decided not to go down to the ground and battle him. Mir knew that Nog would probably submit him and decided to take his chances on the feet, which was smart.

I really hope that Mir beats the crap out of Lesner later this year.

Finally, I really liked what I saw from Forrest Griffin in the first two rounds in his fight against Rashad Evans. However, when the fight got to the ground in the third round, Forrest was sloppy and got beaten fairly. I can do without Evans’ antics like kissing at Forrest and grabbing his privates during the fight but Rashad can fight.

I have to give Evans credit. I’ve never liked him as a fighter. I thought that he would be a boring wrestler who would have an average career getting decisions fighting conservatively. However, since he’s hooked up with Greg Jackson at his camp, Rashad has improved greatly. Now, he fights an entertaining style.

This year is going to be a tremendous year for MMA and I’m ready for it.

No comments: