Thursday, January 29, 2009

Movie Review of The Wrestler and other Random Observations



Hey everyone, I haven’t done a Random Observations post in a while, so here we go:

Some Zoe Keating to help you relax on this day:



-First, I saw the Wrestler on Tuesday night and it was tremendous. I have to be careful with reviewing this movie because I know that a lot of you are going to eventually see it.

Mickey Rourke is outstanding in the movie and deserves every nomination. He’s the only guy I can ever see playing the Ram and when you say that about an actor, that’s bigtime. I envision him as a real wrestler.

I think that there are two crowds who are going to watch this movie and get it in different ways. There’s the first group, the hardcore wrestling fans, who will not be shocked by the images and motives of the movie. I’m a huge wrestling fan who has seen the big shows and the small ones.

I understand why this former legendary wrestler who fought in main events at Madison Square Garden, think of it as the Fenway Park or Lambeau Field of wrestling, would reduce his failing body to doing shows in bingo halls and high school gyms for little to no money.

I understand why he would participate in hardcore matches where he is getting hit with sharp objects and getting major injuries to only do it again the next day.

The movie does a good job of demystifying the professional wrestling business. You see all of the wrestlers in one room before the event takes place going over the results and how the match will go, scripting it. You see the promoters not paying all of the money that they promised the wrestlers. You see how the older wrestlers have to make do with their lives when the lights go out and no one wants to pay to see you fight. I knew about all of this and was impressed with the portrayal.

The second group are the people who are going to see the movie because they heard about this wrestling movie that got nominated for some awards and have no idea how the industry operates. I think the movie will be shocking to them and maybe even turn them off to it.

There are some other storylines as well. There is Marisa Tomei playing a stripper and doing a good job of it.



In fact, we’ll just make her the Crush of the Day. I’ve always been a fan of hers and we even get to see the goods in this movie.

That’s one weird part of the movie. You’re sitting there, eating your popcorn and then, oh, Marisa Tomei is topless, who knew? Oh, that’s Marisa Tomei in a g-string, interesting? OK, that’s Marisa Tomei doing a dance routine and giving a lap dance. She does look good in the movie, but its more of a wow, she looks like a worn down stripper and not like, wow, I’d like to spend an intimate moment with her.

We also have Evan Rachel Wood in the movie playing the Ram’s daughter. She does OK, even though there’s a creepy vibe about the two of them together, like they were dating, even though they were supposed to be a father and daughter. Of course, when I read reports that the two of them are dating in real-life, I get it.

BTW, she has dated Rourke and Marilyn Manson, both older men with odd personalities. Say it with me, kids. Daddy issues!!!! I can spot them from a mile away. As I always say, every women has daddy issues and every man has mommy issues, me included.

OK, back to the movie. I seriously recommend seeing it because it’s a real portrayal of a rough yet exhilarating way to live. Just don’t expect it to be a toe-tapping fun time.

-I’m really enjoying this movie revival I’m going through. I’ve seen Benjamin Button and The Wresler in the past two weeks. I’ve found a nice theatre here in Nashville, get cheaper tickets because I’m a grad student and even have some evening free to do it.

Its such a good time to get a release from the elements of work and school and watch a movie for a few hours.

Next will probably be Slumdog Millionaire or Gran Torino.

-I’ve been pretty mellow the past month or so and enjoying it. I’m really just relaxing and not letting things stress me out. As my friend Mete said to me a week or two ago, if its out of your control, let it go and let God handle it. I don’t know what this is but I’ve experienced a calm in my life that is tremendous feeling and I can’t tell you where it came from.

I read some old posts from late last year and those were some depressing times I was experiencing. I like reading them because while I look forward in my life, I don’t forget to look back. I’m still the same guy with insecurity issues but I’m managing them.

I have a friend who is going through a stressful time in her life and I saw her yesterday. I told her that she needs to just go to the mountains or find a quiet place and reflect. Maybe have a drink, smoke something, read something, whatever works for you. This life is too short to let outside influences affect your overall happy mental state.

Every night, after I usually write my blog posts, I put on some relaxing music, get in bed, lie down, meditate and reflect. I go to bed peacefully and wake up feeling refreshed. No matter what went on during the day, I know that I’m fortunate to have lived that day and for that, I’m content.

I’ll hit on this more on Saturday.

-I was speaking with the Icon aka The Peoples’ Champion a few days ago and we were talking about the excellent old VH1 show, Pop Up Video. Why is this show not back on the air?

-Oh, I was going to save this for Saturday, but since some of you don’t read the blog on weekends, the Steelers are going to win the Super Bowl and Georges St. Pierre will beat B.J. Penn on Saturday even though Penn is my favorite fighter in mixed martial arts. Damn, that sucks to take GSP. That may have to change by the time I do my MMA Review tomorrow.

Super Bowl analysis will be on Saturday.

That’s all for tonight, its time to get some sleep.

No comments: