Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Random Observations and Crush of the Day Returns!


Its time for the return of Random Observations and Crush of the Day.

First, the music selection for tonight is some Fleetwood Mac. Stevie Nicks can still get it to this day, if you catch my drift. Rihannon will make you cry if you really listen to it if you are in the right mode, seriously. Actually, Silver Springs is the make you cry song of the Fleetwood catalog, but Rihannon is a little more upbeat and below:



I went to the movies last night on another date to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Once again, I’m not going to jinx this and give details of the events. If I learned anything from the “Joan” and “Amber” posts of the past year, its not to put too much out there for ya’ll to read. Why the movie choice?

Hey, she wanted to see the movie and I was darned if I was going to see Marley and Me. The dog causes trouble. Do I have to pay money to see this? At least I wasn’t dragged to Bridal Wars, that would have been rough so I appreciated the movie selection. Actually, I was looking very forward to the movie and wasn’t really disappointed but not overwhelmed, it will make sense by the time you finish reading this.

We’re going to do this bullet-point style:

-This was the first movie that I’ve seen in a theatre in more than a year. I’m not a big movie guy. I love TV but don’t have a desire to see movies in a theatre.

-When I arrived, there were two annoying high school couples there making out near the entrance. I’ve always disliked these types of kids, even when I was a teenager. I don’t mind forms of PDA like holding hands but you will never catch me having open makeout sessions in public like that. Furthermore, some of the guys’ hands were reaching below the waist, if you catch my drift. Not appropriate at all.

-Movie tickets are really expensive. I paid for both tickets and it ran me close to $20. I have the money because you have to remember that I am a true baller and dare I say a shot-caller, but still those prices are steep. I wasn’t mad at paying it but it was the principalities of the situation.

If either one of you can tell me what movie I’m referring to when I say “principalities,” just leave it in the comment section and I’ll give you a cookie or some pie or some gift in the future. And you know this, man!

-The previews were interesting and definitely in the vein of “chick flicks.” One of the previews was the new Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson movie which I will definitely not be seeing. Who am I kidding, I’ll probably end up seeing that one. There was a decent one of the new Jamie Foxx and Robert Downey, Jr. movie which actually looks good, I’ll see that one. The one that I’m on the fence of is “The Ugly Truth” which has the annoying blonde from Grey’s Anatomy and the star of 300, my main man Gerard Butler. It screams romantic comedy which I usually don’t go for, but its King Leonidas! I have to check it out just for that, maybe.

-OK, on to the actual movie. I’m going to try to not give too much of it away. First, take a nice nap before you go to it because it’s a long one. I thought I would be in and out of there in about two hours but three hours later, I’m hungry and wondering how this movie will end.

-Brad Pitt does a solid job. I think that he gets overrated and underrated at the same time. He’s a pretty good actor but not in the Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Deniro, Ed Norton and Denzel Washington in the right role level. He’s a notch below but there’s no shame in that. He has to play a wide range in the movie which you can figure out and does a good job out of it.

And furthermore, I’m a guy that can admit if another dude is attractive and not have some homophobic reaction to it. I can understand why the ladies love Pitt. There are some scenes where you’re looking at the screen and you’re saying to yourself as a guy, “you know, I’m not gay but I can understand the appeal.”

-The plot is confusing and there are some minor holes in it especially in the beginning and end. The one twist in the middle is really screwed up for one of the secondary characters. Its predictable in some parts where you know that something good or bad is going to happen to a character minutes before it happens. Like Benjamin has an affair with a married woman. I saw that happening 30 minutes before it went down. Overall, it’s a depressing movie on the surface.

-I was pleasantly surprised by Cate Blanchett in the movie. She plays the love interest of Benjamin Button. That’s not giving too much of the plot away. She actually pulls off a decent southern accent for being from Australia. Cate does a nice job and looks surprisingly hot in the process. I didn’t see that coming. Plus, she plays a dancer who has a, let’s just say entertaining routine in the middle of the movie.

-I was also impressed with Taraji Henson, who will serve as the Crush of the Day. I’ve known of her since Baby Boy, a movie so bad it’s pleasant to watch. It’s one of my favorite good bad movies. Her breakout role was in Hustle and Flow to the mainstream. She also had a nice stint on Boston Legal.

Furthermore, while doing my research, she has a son named Marcel! She may have to crack the top-five just for that reason alone.

She plays Benjamin’s “mother” in the movie and has such unconditional love for him, its heartwarming. There were one or two scenes in the movie where it got a little misty near my eyes and a tear was almost shed but I held it in which is shocking because I will cry at anything.

-I want to get into the movie more but some of you may see it and there are so many layers to it that when I see it again, I will probably notice two or three other things not mentioned here.

I recommend seeing it, its worth a watch. Just be warned that true love will win out in the end and if you have cynicism like I do, this may not be to your liking.

Until then, have a good fight and an even better night!

No comments: