Tuesday, January 6, 2009

NFL Review Playoffs Part I


What is going on people. This will be a decent NFL Review, I hope.

First, you need some music and I was listening to the Pandora today and some Chemical Brothers came on. Those were my boys earlier this decade. Enjoy:



OK, some general notes first before I review some of the playoff games and give some predictions:

-Last week, I would have chosen Atlanta, San Diego, Baltimore and Minnesota to win their games. Just so you know.

-Brett Favre really needs to stop this and just retire.

-The most surprising firing of the coaching season was definitely the Jets. I know some of you will be saying Denver and freaks out there Detroit, but Shanahan was there a long time and I can see how the owner can want a different voice in the organization. I’m not condoning the firing, I just understand. Mangini made the playoffs his first year, had a below average second year and in this third year, his turnover prone quarterback probably cost them a playoff spot. Not right, but this is also a business so everyone knows what the stakes are.

-Understood Manning winning MVP, Brees winning offensive POY, would have voted for Ed Reed for defensive POY instead of Harrison but understand, get Ryan being offensive rookie of the year and Mayo being defensive rookie of the year. No beefs with the offseason awards.

-I thought that I would enjoy Detroit going 0-16 more. I actually felt sorta bad for those guys. Not the fans. You deserve who you root for fans out there reading this.

OK, on to the games:

Atlanta vs. Arizona: I honestly didn’t see much of this game because I was at work. To be honest with you, I didn’t see one snap of this contest, so they’re won’t be much analysis of this one. Well, I think that Matt Ryan really showed his age in several moments of this game, especially the fumble that Rolle returned for the touchdown. I liked that Arizona was able to run the ball some to take pressure off of Warner.

San Diego vs. Indianapolis: Excellent game that became the Darren Sproles show. I’ve been saying for the past two years that he should get more touches, even when Michael Turner was there. I’ve valued him so much that even in my fantasy draft for this season, which I ended up winning because I’m the best fantasy football player ever (not really, I’m just really lucky), when one of the other people drafted him, I was mad. Now he’s the pride of Manhattan, Kansas. I say that it’s about 75% likely that the Chiefs release Larry Johnson and sign Sproles to a big contract. Also, props to the San Diego punter, respect to special teams.

Also, I hope Dungy doesn’t pull a Favre and prolong his decision to retire. Just make a choice and keep it moving.

Miami vs. Baltimore: The wheels had to fall of the Dolphin train at some point. That was the wrong team at the wrong time for them to face. Ed Reed is a man and we are basking in his presence. More on them in my preview.

Minnesota vs. Philadelphia: Crappy game which had one of the most uninspiring quarterback performances I’ve seen in a while. Tavaris Jackson is not the answer.

On to the previews:

Tennessee vs. Baltimore: The Ravens win this game. As a Titans fan, I don’t like saying that. I don’t like Tennessee’s offense against that defense. I think that the Ravens score just enough points, like 20 to get the win. I like the Titans defense as well but I just can’t trust Kerry Collins to win a game when Chris Johnson and Lendell White are struggling to get yards.

Carolina vs. Arizona: I think the Cardinals have more of a chance in this game than people are giving them credit for. I think that they can pass on Carolina and get some plays from their receivers. However, the Panthers are going to run the ball all day and grind out a win, something like a late touchdown from Steve Smith makes the score 23-14 or something like that.

New York vs. Philadelphia: The matchup you didn’t want to see as a Giants fan. However, Philly left me underwhelmed in their game against Minnesota. I think that the week of rest helps the Giants more than any other team. Jacobs will run the ball well, the defense will limit Westbrook to a manageable game and grind out a win.

San Diego vs. Pittsburgh: This game has blowout potential for Pittsburgh. The Chargers are coming off of an emotional win over Indy and had to play their butts off to just make the playoffs. The Steelers are rested and ready at home. Sproles won’t surprise anyone this week, Rivers is bound to make a mistake or two, Tomlinson is hurt, problems.

I’ll have some more on these games when they get closer. Your thoughts are always welcomed and trust me, I’ve been wrong in the past.

No comments: