Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My NBA Preview






OK fans, its time for my NBA Preview. First, lets get some music going:



Heard this in the car today and was feeling it.

Here’s how I’m going to do the preview. I’m going to give you the major awards, including division winners and world champion below for those of you who don’t want the complete analysis.

Then, I’ll go over each division and give you a reason to watch the team if you’re randomly flipping the channels and see this team on the television. I’ll also give you a reason to beware of them. OK, enough descriptions and lets get to the picks.

One more thing, I know that these are a few days late and I’m aware that Oden is going to be out two to four weeks and nothing more. I also saw the first games of opening night and have purposefully not watched any NBA games tonight until I’m done with this to be fair. OK, now lets get started:

Eastern Conference:
1) Boston
2) Cleveland
3) Orlando
4) Detroit
5) Philly
6) Toronto
7) Miami
8) Chicago

Western Conference:
1) Lakers
2) New Orleans
3) Utah
4) Houston
5) San Antonio
6) Dallas
7) Phoenix
8) Portland

Conference Finals: New Orleans over Lakers, Boston over Cleveland
Finals: New Orleans over Boston

MVP:
1) Chris Paul, New Orleans
2) LeBron James, Cleveland
3) Kobe Bryant, Lakers
Wildcard: Dwayne Wade, Miami

Thoughts: Hear me out on this one. I think that Kobe is the best player in the world. I think that LeBron is physically the most dominant. However, Paul is the most valuable player to his team’s success. Kobe will probably lead his team to the best record in the NBA which is going to help his cause. LeBron is due for a season of 31 points, nine rebounds and eight assists, which would be sick. However, Paul runs the show for my eventual conference title champions. Well, gave that one prediction away. The wildcard is Wade, who looked like a monster in the Olympics. If he is healthy, he is right there with the other three guys. If he has an amazing season, remember you read it here first.

Rookie of the Year:
1) Derrick Rose, Chicago
2) Michael Beasley, Miami
3) O.J. Mayo, Memphis
Wildcards: Eric Gordon, Clippers and Greg Oden, Portland

Thoughts: Many people are picking Beasley because you can pretty much pencil him in for 17/8 this season because he’s going to get his shots with Miami. But Rose is sick. All I needed to see was his preseason game against Dallas to know that he is going to be the truth. You usually don’t want to hedge your bets on an rookie point guard in the NBA but I think that Chicago is going to make an exciting push towards the playoffs and this will make Rose look good. Mayo is going to have some exciting games that get people talking. Gordon shouldn’t be slept on because he’s going to look good and he can score. Oden will get some looks because of his defense and rebounding but his offense is lacking. Plus, you have to be worried about his injury issues.

Defensive Player of the Year:
1) Kevin Garnett, Boston
2) Ron Artest, Houston
3) Marcus Camby, Clippers
Wildcard: Greg Oden, Portland

Thoughts: This is easy. Garnett is the standard when it comes to playing defense. Artest is going to be on a winning team and get acknowledgement for this. Camby is going to get his blocks. If Oden can stay healthy, the one thing he can do is defend and rebound.

Sixth Man of the Year:
1) Lamar Odom, Lakers
2) Ben Gordon, Chicago
3) Rodney Stuckey, Detroit
Wildcard: Andrei Kirilenko, Utah

Thouhgts: Some are worried that since Odom is in a contract year, he’s going to sulk and be mad that he’s not going to get his numbers. However, I think that Jackson will find a way to make it work and he will relish this role. Gordon is playing for money as well. Sensing a trend? Stuckey is going to play a lot of minutes this season, especially since Detroit’s backcourt is getting old. AK-47 is the wildcard because you never know where his head is at.

Coach of the Year:
1) Jerry Sloan, Utah
2) Nate McMillan, Portland
3) Byron Scott, New Orleans
Wildcard: Mike D’Antoni, New York and Vinny Del Negro, Chicago

Thouhgts: I think this is the year that Sloan finally gets the award after competing for the Western crown. Portland is going to make the playoffs and this will be a good reflection on McMillan. I have New Orleans winning the title, so Scott has to be in there somewhere. If the Knicks are remotely competitive, D’Antoni is going to get some looks, just watch because Mike is a media darling and the writers like him. Chicago is going to be improved so Del Negro gets some consideration as well.

Atlantic Division
1) Boston: These guys are the champs and look ready to defend their title properly. I love that Paul Pierce said that he was the best player in the world. He’s ready to prove his statement. I think that these guys know that they need to win another title to cement their legacy. Player key to their success is Rajon Rondo. He’s going to have to take control of the keys more often and improve his jump shot to elevate this team into repeating. The thing to be aware of these guys is the bench. James Posey was huge for them and that bench became weaker. You’re relying on rookies and young players and that’s not always good.

2) Philadelphia: Obviously the signing of Elton Brand is something to like for these guys. He’s a good player but he’s also coming off of a major injury to his Achilles, something that you can’t just walk off, pun intended. I like Miller at point, Iguodala is nice and I’ve always been a fan of the Dalembeast when he’s motivated. The key player for them is Thaddeus Young. If he steps up and plays to his potential, these guys can contend for a spot in the conference finals. If not, they lose in the first round again.

3) Toronto: They’ve finally gotten rid of T.J. Ford and riding the point with Jose Calderon, which was a necessary move. He has the talent to be an All-Star. The big pickup for these guys was Jermaine O’Neal. I don’t know about this guy’s health and I can’t rely on it. Bosh is solid. The key guy on this team has to be Andrea Bargnani. He has disappeared as the #1 overall pick and he needs to be at least a solid bench player for this team to do anything remotely decent.

4) New York: The Knicks are going to be an improved group this season. I don’t have them making the playoffs or anything like that but they are going to at least act like they give a damn, hopefully. I’ve been so down on this team from the play on the court to the antics off of it that I really stopped being a fan and watching their games. The key player for them that I actually may care about is maybe Jamal Crawford. Every single one of the rest of them, especially Eddy Curry and Marbury, I can do without. Lets move on.

5) New Jersey: Going to be a long season for them. I guess the only positive that I can come up with is seeing the evolution of Devin Harris and the progression of Yi Jianlian. Vince Carter disgusts me. I think that they are losing on purpose by clearing cap space to sign a free agent like Lebron in two years but you didn’t hear that from me.

Central Division

1) Cleveland: I feel bad not naming LeBron as the MVP because he’s going to have his best season as a pro. I say this because he has improved his game every season, he’s due to make the leap and Mo Williams is going to be a huge benefit for him. He finally has a point guard who is going to keep the offense flowing and get him the ball. Williams may shoot it a little too much, but this will be a good thing because it takes pressure off of James. As you can tell, I think that the key guy for them is Williams but I’ll give you another perimeter guy, Daniel Gibson. His development and staying healthy is his key.

2) Detroit: My least favorite team to watch in the league. I’m tired of seeing these guys around. As much as Vince Carter annoys me, Rasheed Wallace does it even more. His general lack of care for being a great player insults me as a fan. The rest of the team isn’t much better. The only one I kinda like is Stuckey who is the key to that team. I see some regression from this team.

3) Chicago: If it sounds like I have a love fest with Rose, I understand but you have to see that guy play to appreciate my feelings for him. This team is deep and I like Hinrick, Gordon, Deng, Noah and even Sefolosha for various reasons. However, the key guy to this team is Tyrus Thomas. He has so much potential and he’s only 22. He was the direct beneficiary of Rose joining the team. He reminds me of Tyson Chandler. Someone once tried to insult Chandler one time and said that all he does is block shots, rebounds and catch lobs for dunks. Chandler has done that with New Orleans all the way to becoming a top player. If Thomas can do this as well, watch out for him.

4) Indiana: I have not much positive to say about them accept that they got rid of O’Neil which had to be done for them to move on. Granger is a solid player and Dunleavy has surprised me. I’m not a fan of T.J. Ford.

5) Milwaukee: This team on paper isn’t so bad. Bogut is ok. Jefferson is a nice player. Redd seems like a nice guy. Villanueva has potential. For some reason though, nothing seems to break right for these guys. Key to their season is actually Joe Alexander, the rookie out of West Virginia.

Southeast Division:
1) Orlando: Dwight Howard is a stud, we all know that. The rest of the team has questions. Is Jameer Nelson a good enough point guard to help them advance? Was Turkoglu’s season a fluke? Will Rashard Lewis perform to his contract? Is J.J. Redick a lost cause? The wildcard on this team is Mickael Pietrus. If he evolves under their system, they can be a darkhorse to make the conference finals.

2) Miami: I like this team’s makeup to get into the playoffs. You have Marion playing for money, Beasely playing for respect and Wade playing for redemption. Wade has become a forgotten superstar. Two years ago, this man carried a team to an NBA title and now people are saying that he’s not even a top-five player anymore. Wade is going to come strong this season. The key player to this team is actually Shaun Livingston. They need a point guard and he’s the best one they got there. I hope he can stay healthy.

3) Washington: Rough times for these guys. Arenas’ injury is major, I don’t care what they’re saying. I see a major drop off for these guys. I like Jamison and Butler but the rest of the team I can do without. They don’t make the playoffs. The key guy for them is Nick Young.

4) Atlanta: I like the signing of Josh Smith, the firing of Billy Knight but disliked the keeping of Mike Woodson. Joe Johnson is nice, love Al Horford’s effort and the fact that they got rid of Sheldon Williams. The guy that needs to step up is Marvin Williams. Still can’t believe they passed on Chris Paul for this guy.

5) Charlotte: This is going to end badly for them. An underachieving young team with an absentee executive in Michael Jordan and a cranky head coach in Larry Brown. The key player is Adam Morrison.

Western Conference:
Northwest Division

1) Utah: I like this team a lot and they are a dark horse to win the conference. Deron Williams is a top point guard. Boozer does his thing. Everyone knows their roles. Millsap is an underrated player. I mentioned AK-47’s mental issues so that needs to be stated here again. However, the key guy on this team is Ronnie Brewer. He’s poised for a breakout season.

2) Portland: They have the makings of a team that’s going to be a major player in the next few years but these guys have to crawl before they can walk. A playoff appearance would be a nice start. They are young and deep in every position and all eyes will of course be on Oden. However, my key guy is Rudy Fernandez who can take over games and provide some ballhandling relief from Roy.

3) Denver: This has the makings of a bad situation. A grumpy Carmelo+Iverson in the final year of his deal + George Karl being well, George Karl = problems. The key to this team is J.R. Smith. If he plays with maturity and consistency, maybe, just maybe, they can make the playoffs. Beyond that, not so good.

4) Minnesota: I like Al Jefferson. That is all. OK, you’re about 15 minutes into reading my previews so I have to give you something more than that. I don’t love Kevin Love. He’s ok. I’m looking at their roster right now and don’t like much. Brian Cardinal is still in the league? OK. Randy Foye is not bad if healthy. Sebastian Telfair. I shake my head thinking of my fellow Brooklyn-ite.

5) Former Seattle Sonics: I can’t call them their real name yet because I don’t approve of the move. It was shady as hell. Thankfully, Memphis will be moving there in four years and all will be right. As far as the team goes, Durant is obviously the star and the main attraction. He’s going to be a great pro. Jeff Green is decent. The key guy for this team is Chris Wilcox. Potential must meet consistency for this guy at some point.

Pacific Division:

1) Lakers: This team has it all. Two deep in every position. The best player on the planet. A good coach. Motivation to win after tanking in last year’s Finals. Everyone has something to prove. I don’t think Odom is going to be a big deal. He’ll be a pro. They’re the top team in the league. The only thing that is going to possibly mess them up is a logjam at forward and center. They’re also inconsistent on defense and Kobe can pull a Kobe and sabatoge this whole thing. The key to this team is Jordan Farmar. They need production from that second unit at point guard and Fisher is going to wear down at one point.

2) Phoenix: From contender to barely making the playoffs, what a difference a year or two makes. Shaq is the key to anything they’re going to do. I just don’t see this mix working out for them. Shaq just doesn’t have the physical skills to do what they want. The positives is that they finally seem to have some help at point guard to rest Nash. The Grant Hill rejuvenation has been nice to see. They can look forward to a career year from Stoudemire. The key to this team is actually is going to be Robin Lopez. Shaq is going to break down at some point and they need a center and guess who that is.

3) Los Angeles Clippers: I think these guys are going to be better than people think. Their main rotation is Camby, Ricky Davis, Baron Davis, Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, Cat Mobley, Tim Thomas and Al Thornton. That’s not terrible. The key guy for them is the trainer because most of those guys have injury issues. If they stay healthy, I can definitely see them making the playoffs.

4) Golden State: This has a chance to get bad as well. As fun as Nellie ball is, with no Davis and Ellis injured, this team isn’t the same. Now you have Al Harrington demanding a trade and the season hasn’t started yet. Stephen Jackson is still himself and that’s never good. Maggette is going to score but what else is he bringing to the table. I’m interested in seeing Azubuike and Biedrins development. The key to this team is Marcus Williams because he has the skills to be a good point guard but it hasn’t clicked for him. Actually another guy to look at is Nashville-product Brandon Wright. If he gets some minutes maybe he can show something.

5) Sacramento: This is the Kevin Martin show. Maybe Donte Green brings something good to the table. I’ve always liked Francisco Garcia.

Southwest Division:
1) New Orleans. I see the Hornets winning the toughest division in basketball. They’re deep, everyone knows their roles, they need redemption after falling to the Spurs in the playoffs. Paul is a special player, West and Chandler are strong, Peja does what he does, Ely is a good contributor, we all know about Posey and even Julian Wright is solid. The key to this team is Bonzi Wells. If he can stay consistent, they win the NBA championship. The thing holding them back is that they may get tight like they did in game seven against the Spurs.

2) Houston: Obviously the addition of Artest is major for these guys. The main issue with them is health. Ming and McGrady can’t stay on the court. The key guy on this team is Skip as we know him in the NYC or to the rest of the world Rafer Alston. The point guard is important for these guys and Rafer has to key that attack.

3) San Antonio: Is this the year that they finally take a major step back? I say that they do take a major step back by their standards. Besides Parker, Manu and Duncan, the rest of this team is bad. And Manu is out until Christmas, problems. I think that Duncan has one more monster season in him but he’s aging and you can tell it. If this was anyone else but the Spurs, I wouldn’t even have them making the playoffs.

4) Dallas: This team made a bad move trading for Kidd. He’s too slow to play point anymore in this league. I like Carlisle as the coach but this roster concerns me. Dirk will get his numbers but the key to this team and the guy that concerns me the most is Josh Howard. I don’t care about the whole weed thing and the national anthem stuff. What I see from him is lack of focus that he can’t have.

5) Memphis: The most apathetic franchise in the NBA. The city doesn’t care about them and they don’t care about the city. Watching their games on TV is depressing. Enjoy the move to Seattle in a few years. For the time being, watch Rudy Gay and O.J. Mayo. Mike Conley and Javaris Crittenton give you something at the point. Marco Jaric has a hot girlfriend, its Adrianna Lima for those of you out of the loop, Darko is on the team so that’s good I guess. I’m stretching with them.

And with that, those are my predictions. Hold me to them and I’ll check in on them throughout the season.

No comments: