Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Would you break up with a boyfriend/girlfriend over a movie?



What’s up everyone? I have a presentation tomorrow for one of my classes that I really need to work on tonight so that I can be prepared for it. But I also want to blog about something. It was a tough decision, but I’m living with the decision.

One of my favorite shows on TV is How I Met Your Mother. It’s based in the NYC, follows a group of friends in their early 30’s, stuff that I can be down with. Its on Monday nights on CBS, so check it out.

Anyway, one of the new characters on the show is Stella played by a starter on my top-five, Sarah Chalke, from Scrubs.



That’s why she’s on the team. Stella is engaged to a character named Ted on the show. The season premier that aired a few weeks ago disturbed me. Ted’s best friend Marshall was joking that Ted didn’t know much about Stella even though he was engaged to her. Things happen and Ted finds out that Stella has never seen Star Wars, his favorite movie of all time. Marshall is shocked when he learns this, saying that "nobody" hasn't seen Star Wars.

They end up watching it and Ted concludes that it is the best movie ever and that if Stella dislikes it, he cannot marry her. The next night, Ted and Stella watch Star Wars, but Ted is really watching Stella to gauge her reaction. She wants to make out but he rebuffs her with "great scene, great scene".

Eventually Stella kicks him out so she can watch the movie alone. When it's over, she tells Ted and Marshall she loved it. Ted is ecstatic and then leaves the room. Stella then confides to Marshall that she hated the movie. Marshall is very concerned by this because Ted really, really loves Star Wars. Stella is, however, convinced that she can pretend to love this movie for the rest of her life with Ted.

Everyone ends up happy but seriously, you were about to break up an engagement over a damn movie?

What this episode brought to light was the concept of why people who like spending time with each other and dating find ways to screw it up over stupid stuff.

If I’m dating someone, my tolerance/standards are relatively low. I’m attracted by all types of women. I’ve always said that I can find 95% of the women in this world attractive and I still stand by that belief. Skin color, hair color, body shape, eyes, I’m open to it all. Sure, I have my preferences at times like brunettes, brown eyes, light brown skin, but that change over time, its case by case.

There have been blondes that I thought were amazing and brunettes who I didn’t find so attractive. I’m an open book. Here are my main qualifications to be my girlfriend/wife/mistress/cuddle buddy/etc.

1) Have to like the black man. This should go without explaining. I’m black so if you’re not down with the Black man, you can’t be down with me. Let’s extend that further; you should love every man and woman, including The Man. I have no beefs with The Man and she shouldn’t either. What I’m trying to say is that she has to be down with all types of people because my social circle has all types of people in it. Some are rich, some are poor, some are men, and some are women. Every race is represented. The worst thing you can say to me is “I don’t like (insert gender, race, sexuality, religion here).” I don’t roll like that and she shouldn’t either.

2) Have a job and or in school. We gotta have something positive going on in our lives. I’m in school and have a job, she should have one too. I work in sports so my finances aren’t the strongest. Plus, I find intelligence a very attractive feature in a woman…Power too, I love powerful women, lets move on before I say something stupid.

3) Comprehend sports but not be an Eagles, New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders fan. I was speaking with Joel the other day and since he’s a big Alabama fan, he can’t date an Auburn fan. I feel where he’s coming from with that, somewhat. I joked in a post earlier this week that as long as my girlfriend knows when a homerun is hit or that a touchdown can’t happen in a basketball game, I can work with it.

I do take my sports seriously, but I’m not going to sabotage a relationship if she doesn’t want to watch a NBA game with me. There are more important things like that. However, the more she knows about sports, the better it is for both of us.

Why the Eagles, Devils and Islanders? Those are the teams that I can never, ever come around to liking. Notice some teams missing, don’t you. Would I date a Tennessee fan? I really would while thinking about it. It wouldn’t be preferred but if I stay in this state, its going to happen and I have to accept it. Would I date a Braves fan? I lived in Atlanta for three years, it happened so its not the worst thing in the world. Why not the Cowboys or Redskins? Cowboys are too cliché and I like Texas women, what’s up Amber. Redskins? Hate them too, but not enough to break up with a woman.

4) Likes music. I like music a lot as you have noticed on this blog and the girlfriend has to like music in her life because it’s a big part of mine. OK, now you may be asking, what if she isn’t a Mars Volta fan, my favorite band and whose music I literally listen to everyday? That band isn’t for everybody and if she didn’t like them, that’s fine.

5) Accept my quirks. This goes both ways. She’s going to have some odd things about her that I’m going to accept. She has to know that I watch General Hospital every day. She’s going to have to know that I play video games every day without fail. She’s going to have to understand that when the Ultimate Fighter, Scrubs, CSI: NY, Chuck, Boston Legal or The Office are on, that’s not hook up time, its viewing time.

Crap, I just sounded like Ted right there. Funny, I write a post here to be the opposite of Ted, but I end up sounding like him in the end.

When I was speaking with Watson last week, she wants to find me a date and this got me thinking about what I want from a girlfriend and then the episode came on TV to ring this home.

Maybe my standards are too picky or not picky enough and that’s why I’ve struggled in my dating life. Really, I just live my life and see what happens and part of that is not letting the little stuff getting in the way.

What are your thoughts on this? What is/are the things that you can’t be flexible on when dating someone? List them in the comments section.

Here’s some Incubus that I was playing a few days ago. Love these guys.



No comments: