Monday, October 27, 2008

You deserve nothing as a sports fan!


First, I have love for Philly and what I’m about to say will make it seem like I don’t. So here’s an olive branch of one of my favorite hip hop groups, The Roots:



Top-five concerts I’ve ever been to was a Roots show back in the day. Good stuff. Ok, now lets get to the post.

Today I was thinking about the Philadelphia Phillies and their attempt to win the World Series and how much it was making me mad as a Mets fan.

First, I will never, ever cheer for anything in Philadelphia sports. I actually don’t mind the city unlike Boston, which is the most bitter sports town that I’ve ever been to. The problem is that the chief rival of the Mets is the Phillies, the rival of the Giants is the Eagles, the Knicks and Sixers don’t get along and while I dislike the Devils and Islanders more as a Rangers fan, I’m not flying a Flyers flag anytime soon.

Actually, Philadelphia was the scene of some of my favorite high school memories when I did Model UN conferences at Penn. Those were good times. I love cheesesteaks, the Roots are great, so this isn’t a bash on the city itself.

So why am I mad at seeing Philadelphia doing well? I thought about it and I came to a conclusion.

The whole time that the Phillies have been doing well, we have been hearing stuff about how the city hasn’t won a professional sports title since 1983 and that the city deserved the chance to celebrate a championship. This sense of entitlement annoys me greatly.

I hear the same thing from my fellow Vanderbilt fans who say that the Commodores deserve to go to a bowl game after years of futility.

You are guaranteed NOTHING in sports!

Your team performs on the field and whatever result happens is the deserved result. I have absolutely no sympathy for fans who play the woe is me, my team stinks and we deserve a break act.

If your team is bad, they are bad and get over it.

Philadelphia doesn’t deserve a championship because the teams have struggled to put a winning product on the field. If the Phillies happen to win the World Series, they would have done it on the field and not because fate intervened.

This goes out to the Cubs fans out there as well. You aren’t cursed, you had crappy management and bad play for 100 years. Curses aren’t real and if you subject yourself to that thinking, you are not a fan, you are an idiot. If you want to come after me, I don’t care because you know I’m right. If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at ownership for not producing a champion. Get mad at crappy players or managers. You don’t deserve anything.

Neither do fans of Buffalo teams, Philly teams or anybody else who fits into this category.

The only positive thing that can happen from Philly winning the World Series is that their fans can finally shut up about not winning a title and I can go on with living my life. I thought this would happen with Boston after the Red Sox, another pathetic franchise that finally got its act right in the past few years, won the World Series in 2004, but I still hear crap from them once in a while.

I fucking hate the Red Sox Nation stuff out there still playing the underdog, we’re going to find a way to lose card. Buy another pink hat and sit down you annoying bastards.

If any of my favorite teams don’t reach their goals, whether it’s a world championship, bowl game, playoff appearance, whatever, they didn’t make it because they didn’t deserve it and that’s the end of it.

Your team isn’t cursed or unlucky in fate. They just stink! That’s all from me, NFL Review is tomorrow.

I was serious about what I said earlier. If you obsessive loser sports fan who care way too much about your team and think that they deserve to win want to take me on, I’m ready to verbally put you in your place because I’m annoyed by you and trust me, everyone else is too. Just shut up, take your losses like a man and leave me alone or I’m going to hurt you. If you think I’m kidding, try me because I would love it!

Here’s some more Roots to ride out to. BTW, I don’t give props to Will Smith the rapper, just can’t.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why the hostility, is it because your Metropolitans keep stinking it up during the regular season. There has not been a Philly Championship since I was born. I deserve one, it is fate.

Anonymous said...

I can see where they're coming from. If I cheer for Auburn harder than you cheer for Vanderbilt, I deserve to have Auburn win since I care more and am a better fan than you are.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for referencing me in an earlier blog post. I happened upon this one by accident.

Fate hates the Cubs. Fate won't let the Cubs win. Our fans have paid our dues, we deserve to win. Win one for the fans, Philly!

Jim
www.jimgaffigan.com

Unknown said...

So....you don't like the Red Sox?