Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday Reflections


Time for those Sunday Reflections:

-Music listened to this weekend:

I was out on Friday night and heard some Phil Collins which was great because I’ve been on a major Genesis kick lately. Here’s a song below:



-Was able to finally catch up on some TV this weekend. Boston Legal is in fine form, One Tree Hill is solid, Chuck has been OK. I still need to catch up on General Hospital, CSI: NY, Life on Mars and one or two more.

-Watched the latest The Office episode today online and it was sad to see Michael get taken advantage of this way. Its one thing to laugh at the way he lives, but he is getting his manhood taken from him throughout this season. The whole baby shower episode was depressing to watch.

-Also watched some episodes of the Ultimate Fighter and Junie is an idiot. He is ruining my viewing experience for the show. His alcoholic outbursts make it seem like all mixed martial arts fighters are arrogant jerks and that’s not the case. His ass needs to be kicked off of the show.

-Speaking of MMA, good win by Bisbing over Chris Leban in UFC 89. He’s nowhere near ready to face Anderson Silva, but honestly, who is at middleweight at this stage? Also, what’s going on with Brandon Vera. He used to be a cocky, talented fighter but then he had that dispute with his management, took a year off, went down in weight to light heavyweight and he hasn’t been the same. That fight against Keith Jardine wasn’t his best effort. He needs to get his act together.

-Didn’t watch one moment of the Bernard Hopkins/Kelly Pavlik fight and have no regrets.

-So, Titans won, NY Giants won, Georgia Tech won and Vandy lost in football this weekend. Three out of four isn’t bad.

-I haven’t officially stated who I’m going to vote for in the Presidential election, even though if you read this blog enough you can figure it out, but I was watching Meet the Press and they had General Colin Powell on the show declaring who he is going to endorse. He chooses Obama but his reasoning is solid and he vocalizes it very well. I hope that people take this approach when they choose who they want for President and whoever that is, I’m cool with it. The video is below:



-Game seven of the ALCS is on right now and I have no interest in watching. I think that I’m sports-out right now and can go a day or two without seeing a game and be cool with it.

-This week, I attended not one, but two Tennessee State games and that was cool. I try to meet all of the sports people here in Nashville, but I’ve done a bad job with TSU. So, I went to a volleyball match when the Tigers defeated the Bisons of Lipscomb and as a Bruin, that’s always a good time. The second event was the Austin Peay football game on Saturday night thanks to Kenisha, she hooked me up with a pass. I had a good time and was able to see how they operate their games and got a note or two that I may use in the future. Plus, I met one or two people and that’s always good.

-I’ll end my Reflections on my Friday night, because Had an interesting night out on Friday. So it was Holmes’ “birthday” celebration even though I thought his birthday was a week ago, but whatever. I head downtown, which I absolutely hate. Its crowded and since there was a damn Rascal Flats concert, there was no parking. Why people would go out and see that mouse singing with the worst voice in music, I have no idea.

BTW, if I ever ended up in hell, I think my punishment would be hearing an endless loop of Rascal Flats, Soulja Boy and Fall Out Boy songs for eternity. That would stink.

OK, back to the night. So I meet up with Holmes and our friends at an establishment. It was good, free beer and pizza! The DJ was solid too, playing some Huey Lewis and the News, that crappy Don Henley song when he went solo and then this conversation…

Drunk lady: Is that Motley Crue?
Me: No, maam, that’s Def Leppard.

Highlight of my night because it was so odd, yet so brilliant. The song in question is below:



We’re having a good time there, hanging out with the locals and I decided to buy Holmes a drink. He decides on the drink, wants to get two for him and one of our friends and I was cool with that.

Now, I have to tell you that I don’t order mix drinks or shots at bars. They are always too expensive and I don’t like getting drunk in public, it’s a bad look, I feel bad later and I just don’t like it.

So I order the drinks and give the bartender a ten. I stand there waiting for my change and he tells me, “sir, that’s 16 dollars.” Are you serious? I give him the money and include a tip because its not his fault that his place overcharges for this. The drink I ordered involved an alcoholic beverage and Red Bull. Let me tell you something, we can head to the supermarket and the liquor store and take care of this real quick, but it was for Holmes, so I didn’t mind.

After that, we all decide to head off to another location, which was fine accept it got crowded in there and was really loud and I don’t like that. I decided to call it a night at this point and went home.

What all of this proved to me is that I really don’t like going out. If I had the choice of going out like on Friday night or staying at home watching Scrubs and Seinfeld repeats with maybe a Family Guy episode thrown in, I’m staying home.

Don’t misinterpret this as me not having a good time with friends. I like spending time with people and everyone in my group was great, I just like my alone time.

I think that this stems from my past. I used to be a major homebody who wouldn’t go out at all. I just like staying in my place and relaxing. However, the past year I’ve tried to be better about it and go out some more.

Its been hit or miss for me. Personally, a good night for me is going to a bookstore, getting about four books or some magazines, a cup of coffee and just reading them all night. That’s bliss for me, not heading out to the bars.

But I know that I should be out there because I’m a young single professional who is also a baller and dare I say a shot caller and enjoying myself. It’s a balance but it will eventually work itself out.

I just like being a loner, that’s my comfort zone. Furthermore, I like being focused on school, classes, working out and sleep.

-This week is going to be super busy for me with classes, two soccer matches and Vandy homecoming. I hope to blog a little bit this week but if I go a day or two without posting something, you now know why?

Until then, respect the Jesus and he will respect you and good fight, good night.

No comments: