Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sunday Reflections



Hey everyone, hope your week was well. It’s time for some Reflections, Vanderbilt football-style:

-The highlight of the week was seeing my Vanderbilt Commodores become 5-0 on the season after beating Auburn on Saturday night. Well, first, I went to the ESPN Gameday show at Peabody or the Commons, on Saturday morning, which was an amazing time yet boring. It was surreal seeing Chris, Lee, Kirk and Desmond only a few yards away. The boring part is that the guys do their thing on TV and then during commercial breaks, you just stand there. So you stand there for a few minutes doing nothing and then when the cameras are on, you start making noise.

-Continuing on the GameDay show, I liked two signs. The first one was the now known one “Phil Fulmer ate my other sign.” It’s always a good time making fun of that guy. Keep barely beating Northern Illinois at home, I love it. The second one was “The geeks shall inherit the turf.” As an alum, this is true. Vandy people are dorks. We are. If you read this blog enough, you already knew that. The fact that the football team is doing so well is tremendous.

-Why was Kenny Chesney there? I don’t mind the guy’s music but not only is he from Knoxville or Redneck Central, USA, he’s an unabashed East Tennessee Hillbilly College fan. I was not happy seeing him on my school’s turf.

-My thoughts on Corso pulling the switch-a-roo with his predictions? First, his predictions are mostly wrong, so I wanted no part of his mojo. Second, when he throw Commie’s head to the side, I was pissed. Then, when he pulled out that hunting or community roadside cleanup orange jersey out, it was war. I don’t think he understands how much us Commodores dislike that orange. I was pissed for about ten minutes, but then the WWE fan in me actually dug it. I was talking with two friends in the press box at the game, Brandon and Thomas, about it and all of us like wrestling and agreed that the move was something that Shawn Michaels or Ric Flair would pull. So Corso, you’re not on my screw you list, but you’re pushing it.

-The game itself was a tale of quarters. The first quarter finished and I thought that Auburn was going to put a number on Vandy, it looked that bad. Then the rest of the game just unfolded Vandy’s way. I will say this, if you’re an Auburn fan, I would be pissed at that offense. That was bad to see in person.

-Towards the end of the game, I got on the field to take care of my post-game duties and the sight of all of those fans in the stands was amazing. I’m not supposed to cheer and stay professional and be neutral. It was so hard to not cheer and hold my emotions in. I was actually getting emotional when Vandy was taking the knee to run out the clock. Corso walked right past me and a fan from the stands started heckling him in a playful way. Corso looked up at the fan and smiled at him. Gotta respect that. Then, I saw Desmond Howard cheering like Michigan just won the Rose Bowl. He was feeling the moment. I was just so happy for the team, the fans, everyone.

-I’ve held off on writing a post about the changing state of Vanderbilt football because it’s not over. I’m taking two mentalities. First, I’m waiting to see how the season really plays out and taking it one game at a time, just like the team is. Its my nature to be skeptical and not make grand proclamations like the program has turned a corner or something like that. Second, I’m just going to enjoy the moments and live through them and not over analyze.

-OK, done with the Vandy talk for now.

-The Cubs. Sorry Joan. I’m a Mets fan who grew up disliking the Cubs and they’re performance this playoffs was insulting to me. How do you get swept by the Dodgers? Well, at least they’re team made the playoffs, speaking of which…

-So I was talking to Joan this weekend and telling her how much I loved her…Just messing with ya’ll. She hasn’t gotten a mention in a long time.

-OK, back to the Presidential Debate which is taking place only a few blocks away from where I live. I’ll be watching on Tuesday and probably give you a report on Wednesday about it.

-Let’s see. The New York Giants are 4-0, the Tennessee Titans are 5-0, I’ve already spoken about Vandy, Georgia Tech is 4-1 and even my adopted team the Atlanta Falcons are a frisky 3-2 after winning at Green Bay today. I’m so not used to this football success, seriously. I know that not all of the teams are going to win championships or anything like that, but living in this moment has been a fun time to be a football fan.

-I’m listening to The Cure on Pandora Radio and its tight. The song on now is Want, look it up when you have a chance.

-Now I’m listening to some music from A Perfect Circle, from an acoustic set that they did. Love it and want to share it with you below:



-How is the retirement from trying to date women going Etienne or Marcel depending on who you are? Its going ok. The beard I think has shown my seriousness to myself and commitment to making myself happy instead of searching for it through someone else.

I was speaking with Watson this week and she asked me if I was trying to date anyone and for the first time I looked at someone in their eyes and said no and didn’t feel bad about it. She was funny in telling me that she’s going to help me find someone and that was sweet of her, but I’m not focused on that right now. Now, if I crossed paths with someone and we wanted to spend some time together, I wouldn’t object to letting her enter my life. However, if she can’t name at least three WAC teams, two teams from the MAC, MEAC and MAAC (yes, those are three different conferences) and tell me what the mascot of San Jose State, San Diego, New Mexico State or Utah State, she’s out.

-Just kidding. I told Watson this and she told me that I’m not going to find a girl who’s going to know this. I said that I was joking…or was I?

-Of course I’m joking. I’m going to meet a woman one day that digs art and wants me to break down a painting and I’m screwed. However, we’ll work it out. As long as she doesn’t believe that the Mets need to score more touchdowns or the Knicks need to hit more home runs and we’re set.

-OK, those were some long ramblings and I want to get some sleep. The good news is that I have some downtime this week, so I will be blogging long and hard, that’s what she said…doesn’t apply, understood. Here’s what I’m going to try to get to this week.

Monday: Final Review of my MLB predictions and how much of a sports fan am I now
Tuesday: NFL Week Review
Wednesday: How an episode of How I Met Your Mother made me think of relationships
Thursday: Freestyle or an epic Pot Roast recipe, undecided for now. Vote in my comments section.
Friday: MMA Review. Kimbo will get written about in a not so good way
Saturday: Something about someone
Sunday: Reflections

Good night, have a good week and here’s some more A Perfect Circle:






2 comments:

Basher said...

why wouldn't you write something good about kimbo?

/sarcasm

ha.

Anonymous said...

How about a post talking about Kige Ramsey?