Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Crush of the Day (Cougar Edition) and an Observation on Restaurants




Hey everyone, its time for another Observation:

Music to listen to: Everywhen by Massive Attack



One of my favorite Massive Attack songs, so beautiful. Speaking of beautiful…

Crush of the Day: Diane Lane

We’re continuing Cougar week with Diane. She’s a solid contributor to the bench of my Top-Five and I always give priority to my bench players. Diane seems like that really attractive mother/older sister of one of your friends that you talk with and one day you realize that she’s really attractive. It’s a sneaky hotness. Plus, she makes the list for Unfaithful. Her role in that is worth being named a Crush.

Observation: Restaurants

One of my new pet peeves that I’ve developed recently is people talking about restaurants. This is similar to my issue with people constantly telling you to watch a television show. I even documented it here: http://pourtoutpancakes.blogspot.com/2009/01/sunday-reflections_18.html

Similar to what your child is doing, I really don’t care where you had that great pasta dish last night.

It seems like people always want to be on the cutting edge and be part of the best meal ever.

I can think of numerous times when I’ll say that I had, for example, a good burger at Place A. Well, Slappy then has to tell me about the time he had a burger at Place B. I didn’t ask you about Place B. Stop trying to prove your own self worth by trying to reaffirm your experiences by bringing down mine.

I really don’t like people telling me what to do in general, so you know darn well that I’m not going to accept them telling me where I should eat.

Furthermore, stop busting out with your knowledge of alcohol. This goes into two categories.

Wine: Less familiar with this but dude or ma’am, I really don’t care that you like that red wine from the Napa Valley, age whatever. I like wine but don’t get into a dick measuring contest with me about it. Sorry, I mean, male private part measuring contest.

Liquor/shots: Once again, don’t tell me about some darn shot you learned down in Cabo called Tiger Shark or Pink Teddy Bear, etc. Just give me that shot of Jaeger or Vodka and leave me alone.

I’m not a big fan of restaurants in general. Honestly, I find just as much enjoyment going to a chain place like Chili’s or TGIF as the expensive steakhouse. A good meal is a good meal. I’m more impressed with learning about a new recipe that I can try on my own in my own place and make it for someone or myself.

I guess in the end, just stop recommending where I can get the best dessert or where I can find the best chicken soup. I'll find it myself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are starting to really limit the casual conversation topics with all these things that you don't want people to tell you about!

Anonymous said...

I quote you...

"I really don’t care where you had that great pasta dish last night"

YET

You say that you told Slappy where you got a good burger at (Place A).

Seems like a contradiction.

ESPECIALLY since when Slappy offered up a place where he got a burger, it made you mad.

So... you want to be able to tell other people where you got good food (remember what you told Slappy!), but you get really frustrated when they tell you (The phrase I quoted you).

Sounds like you need to work some things out with yourself.

Marcel P. said...

You are right, Meggie. I do sound like a person who doesn't like small talk.

And to Al_Roker (funny name, I get it), I should have made clearer what I was trying to say. If someone asked me what I did last night, for example, and I told them that I went to Place A and got a burger, then the annoying person would then chime in with his or her opinion about this amazing burger they got at Place B.

I'm not volunteering my opinion about who has the best burger in the hypothetical conversation, I'm just stating what I ate.

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad we are on the same page, Mr. Pourtout. I take it as a challenge to critically analyze your blog for logical errors. What else am I supposed to do at lunch? By the way, I found the best place to get a burger...