Monday, March 9, 2009

Reflections on a Monday

Hey everyone, its finally time to start blogging again! I had some computer troubles and hopefuly they’re resolved. Since I didn’t do a Reflections on Sunday and I always say that I won’t miss a Reflections, here are my well…Reflections, Monday edition:

-Spent the weekend in Spartanburg, S.C. for some college baseball. Nice stadium, beautiful weather and the team that I cover won two out of three games, so good times all around.

There was an older gentleman at the games and he was one of the most annoying hecklers to the umpires that I’ve ever heard. Every single call was met with a complaint. At first I thought that it was funny but then it got extremely annoying and took away from enjoying the game. I asked people around there who he was and they just said it was an old man who showed up to the games. He wasn’t cursing or anything like that but he just wouldn’t stop.

-On the way to Spartanburg, we watched Step Brothers. It was a funny movie and there were some moments which were even beyond the realm of decent. Some of the quotes were so crude but I ended up laughing at all of them. I recommend it.

We also watched The Patriot, which I didn’t get but it was ok I guess. I was sleeping during it and reading some books. Speaking of which…

-Finally finished Boys Will Be Boys for the sports book club. I’ll save my opinion of it for the review. I still need to contact Jeff Pearlman to see if he’ll talk about his book to the Pourtout Pancakes Nation.

-The whole Rihanna/Chris Brown situation is just sad for all parties. I reserve judgment on these types of stories until all of the facts are out but domestic abuse is something that can never be condoned under any circumstances.

-Twitter. I can’t do it. I love doing the blog because I get to expand on thoughts that I have. Facebook is good because you can keep in touch with people and the updates are fine. However, with Twitter, why would I want to leave sentences of gibberish? Maybe I’ll give it a chance in the future but for now, I’m not going to do it.

-I wasn’t sure if the gym was going to be open early this morning, so I stayed in and caught the Today Show, which is always enjoyable TV. Speaking of that show…

-If one more person tells me I look like Al Roker, I’m going to go off on them and not in a nice way. I’m at the Vandy vs. Arkansas game on Sunday, sitting in the press room when some jackass comes up to me and tells me that I look just like Al Roker. Well, whopptie damn doo! I didn’t know that! Thanks for telling me that. I’m sure that the family would be proud.

It’s a pain in the ass looking like that guy, seriously. I’ve had people yell at me from across the street about it. I’ve been told that I look like the guy in every city that I’ve lived in at least four or five times. Thank goodness I don’t live in the NYC anymore because its even worse up there. It was to the point that I wouldn’t go near the NBC studios for fear that someone would want me to be on the show or something like that.

Its not the fact that I look like the guy. Al seems like a nice guy, no beef with him in particular. It’s the perception of him being the jolly, fat black weatherman. I’m not like that perception at all and I’m pretty sure that Al isn’t even like that in his personal life, or he may be and that’s fine too.

Being told that I look like him makes it seem like I’m going to be Mr. Happy. I’m not a mean guy but I’m also not happy all the time.

Of course, I don’t tell people all of this when they tell me that I look like him. I usually just accept it and move on but it does get me irritated at times.

So the lesson for tonight is to be careful when you tell someone that they look like a celebrity, it may not be a compliment in the end.

-I’m excited that the NCAA Basketball tournament starts next week. I don’t think any of my favorite teams will be in from the men’s side. Georgia Tech is terrible, Belmont lost in the A-Sun Tourney and Vanderbilt isn’t going to make it.

-One Tree Hill needs to stop this. I rush home from errands and I turn on the show to only see a repeat. Let’s get some new episodes going CW!

-The Tapout is still on, even though I slightly attempted to step out of it earlier today.
I was talking with someone today over some business and I asked her if she wanted to get something to eat after we were finished. She declined and that was fine by me because I really didn’t care either way.

-Alex Rodriguez (I refuse to call him by that terrible nickname of his) needs to take a lesson in looking humbled and clean. I think that people don’t like him because he looks like a phony. He always looks tanned, clean haircut, shirts and pants matching a little too much. I think that his metrosexual nature hurts him, especially in a sport like baseball.

I’m not saying what he’s done is right or wrong but it seriously wouldn’t hurt him to just look and act normal, like someone you would go to the corner pub and drink some beers with. He’s the last type of guy that I would want to hang out with.

For his sake, I hope he comes back from this injury not trying to be perfect. Loosen up.

-Some quick MMA thoughts to finish this out.

I was not surprised that Rampage beat Jardine. Looking forward to Rampage vs. Evans or as Rampage called it “black on black crime.” Now that’s funny.

Shane Carwin is no joke. He beat the crap out of Gonzaga.

That’s all for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You look like Al Roker! bahahahahaha