Monday, March 2, 2009

NBA Review


It’s time for the NBA Review. This is now truly the time to look at your team and realize if they are going to be a contender, pretender or the Clippers. Seriously, what can you say about that team. OK, here are my general thoughts on each team with an added segment.

Last time, I listed the players that were the team’s MVP and the one who needed to step his game up. This week, I will list my favorite player ever from the team. Notice that I said favorite and not best. They’re a difference.

1) Cleveland: Losing Ben Wallace is a blow to these guys but if they can pick up Joe Smith or even Drew Gooden, that would be good for them. They are really pushing for the home court in the playoffs and this is good because unlike Boston, these guys can’t take moments off. They haven’t won anything yet and have some younger guys on the squad so keep the foot on the pedal.

Favorite player: Hard to not go with Lebron, however, my vote is going to go to Mark Price, one of the underrated point guards of his era in the pros and college. Being a Georgia Tech fan, it makes me mad when people talk about the best point guard or even player ever from the school. Some say Kenny Anderson, Marbury, etc. The answer is Mark Price and its not close. Dennis Scott may be close for the all-time player but for point guard, it’s a wrap.

2) Lakers: Them losing to Denver and Phoenix isn’t much of a concern for me. Those games are going to be lost in a long season. The Odom revival has been nice but for these guys to really take it to the next level, Bynum needs to come back. As evidence on Sunday, Kobe can score 49 and the team can still lose because of a lack on inside prescence.

Favorite player: I want to pick someone outside of the box like Eddie Jones or Vlade Divac, but it has to be Magic Johnson. A 6’9’’ point guard not only playing his position but thriving in it, tremendous player, tremendous winner, amazing versatility. Had it all.

3) Boston: The Stephon Marbury experiment is going to be ok, even though as a Knicks fan and honestly a fan of the NBA, his antics over the years have been embarrassing and makes it hard for me to defend this league to non-fans. He is everything that is wrong with the league and the fact that he may be rewarded with a championship is a joke. Its really hard to judge them until Garnett comes back into the fold.

Favorite player: I’ve had moments with Bird, McHale, Reggie Lewis, Dino Radja, Antonie Walker, etc. However, in the end I will go with Paul Pierce. I thought the guy would be a good pro coming out of Kansas and didn’t understand why he fell in the draft. What I didn’t expect was for him to turn into a championship player. Much respect.

4) San Antonio: Getting blasted in Portland isn’t a good way to start but as long as Duncan is healthy, don’t ever, ever, ever count these guys out.

Favorite player: It has to be Duncan, the greatest power forward ever in the league and in the top-20 all-time. I wrote about his consistency last week but look at the numbers, the championships, its all there. Honorable mention goes to Stephen Jackson. Seeing his crazy behind well behaved as a Spur was a sight to see.

5) Orlando: I liked the Rafer Alston pick-up. They now deserve mentioning for a contender in the East.

Favorite player: They’ve had some fun ones over the years. Tracy McGrady, Dennis Scott, Dwight Howard now, etc. It still comes down to two guys for me, Penny and Shaq.

I loved seeing Penny do his thing but you can’t beat a young Shaq. Watch the video below for proof.



6) Houston: I have no beefs with McGrady but him shutting it down for the season may have been best for both parties. The Rockets can now focus on playing through Yao and even Artest.

Favorite player: Hakeem the Dream Olajuwan. Best center in his era. Here are the only guys I would say were better than him. Russell, Chamberlin, Kareem. That’s the list. Moses Malone and Shaq are knocking on the door.

7) Denver: Have lost some games lately they shouldn’t have. They need some frontcourt help.

Favorite player: Going with Dikembe.

8) Utah: Watch out for these guys especially if Boozer can fully get back incorporated with the team. I would fear that Boozer would look out only for himself since this is a contract year and this could cause disharmony, but Jerry Sloan will put a stop to that immediately if it took place.

Favorite player: John Stockton gets the nod here.

9) New Orleans: They need to start stringing together some wins so that I can have some form of confidence about them.

Favorite player: They’ve had some fun ones. Mugsey, Larry Johnson, Alonzo, Glen Rice, Chris Paul. I’m going to give the nod to LJ.

10) Portland: You have to be seriously concerned about Greg Oden if you’re a Blazers fan. I’m not giving up on the guy skills wise, he just can’t stay healthy. They can really use him because if these guys face the Lakers or the Spurs, it’s a wrap for these guys.

Favorite player: I’m going to go with Arvydas Sabonis who gets forgotten by many NBA fans today. He was the best passing big man that I’ve ever seen. It’s a shame that by the time he came to the NBA he wasn’t half the player he used to be.

11) Phoenix: What about this Shaq revival? This has been a long, strange year for these guys. Tough blow losing Amar’e for the season.

Favorite player: Barkley had a fun run here and Nash is nice but I’m going to have to go with Kevin Johnson who was a baller back in the day. Dan Majerle was fun too.

12) Dallas: Good to see Jason Terry back in action.

Favorite player: I liked Nash, Dirk and Kidd, the old-school version. But I’m going to take Michael Finley. It’s still strange not seeing him in a Mavs uniform.

13) Miami: Wade is second in the MVP voting behind Lebron. Getting rid of Marion should open things up for Beasley.

Favorite player: I liked when Odom was on the team but I’ll take Wade.

14) Atlanta: Josh Smith continues to disappoint me.

Favorite player: Dominique

15) Philadelphia: The epidomy of an average team. I like seeing the Dalembeast in action but he has been disappointing this season.

Favorite player: Tough choice between Barkley and Iverson. I’ll take Iverson. We won’t see another player like him in our generation. The guy is 5’10’’ and averaged near 30 points a game for seasons.

Oh what the heck, here are players that are unique and once in a generation types:

-Iverson: We’re going to look back at this guy’s career 10 years from now and wonder how it happened.
-Barkley: a 6’5’’ power forward dominating like he did in his prime.
-Lebron: maybe the most athletic player ever in the NBA when you consider speed and size combo)
-Tiny Archibald
-Sabonis

16) Detroit: Speaking of Iverson, I’m not going to completely blame him for Detroit’s struggles but since Rip Hamilton came back into the starting lineup, they’ve looked good.

Favorite player: Grant Hill. Injuries wrecked a Hall of Fame career.

17) Chicago: I can’t read these guys.

Favorite player: You know I’m not going to pick Jordan, that’s too cliché. Let’s go with Pippen instead. All point-forwards aspire to be like him and one of the best perimeter defenders ever as well.

18) New Jersey: Devin Harris is making a case for second team All-NBA behind Paul at point guard.

Favorite player: Some decent names to go with and since I grew up in that area, I’ve seen many of them over the past 20 years. I’m going to go with Drazen Petrovic, whose life was cut short too soon. Amazing player.

19) New York: This Nate Robinson explosion has been nice to see and surprising to me. Part of me likes it but I also don’t like my point guard jacking up shots all the time.

Favorite player: Even though this was my favorite team growing up, I didn’t find them to be a very likeable bunch. Even when they were winning in the 1990’s, their brand of basketball was not pleasing to see. So I’m going to go with Bernard King from an era slightly before my time but what a player. That’s not fair, I have to pick guys who I can really remember watching. Let’s take Mark Jackson.

20) Milwaukee: What about the emergence of Ramon Sessions at point guard. If all of the injured players come back strong next year, look out for these guys to make the playoffs.

Favorite players: Slim pickings on this one and I can’t go with Kareem or Oscar Robertson because their peaks were before I was even born. I’ll take Ray Allen.

21) Charlotte Bobcats: Have nothing on these guys.

Favorite player: Still nothing.

22) Indiana: Granger continues to emerge and Dunleavy needs to figure out what’s going on with his injured leg and take care of it.

Favorite players: I liked Reggie Miller even though he would destroy the Knicks.

23) Golden State: I like the move of going with younger players.

Favorite player: A surprisingly large list. Arenas was fun, Webber has nice in his one year there, Sprewell had good moments on the court. However, give me Run-TMC all day. I guess I’ll take Hardaway if I had to pick one individual, even though picking against my fellow New Yorker Chris Mullin is rough.

24) Toronto: Embarrassing loss to Phoenix and stop complaining Bosh.

Favorite player: I’ll take Vince Carter

25) Minnesota: Have completely fallen apart without Al Jefferson. Sad to see but this has allowed Love to develop which will be good in the long run.

Favorite player: Hard to go against Kevin Garnett

26) Team Formerly Known as Seattle Sonics: They can score but defense has to be played to be respectful.

Favorite player: Payton was nice and Ray Allen was a pro but I have to run with the Reign man. Need proof, look below:



27) Clippers: The win over Boson was good.

Favorite player: Ron Harper had some nice years there.

28) Washington: Don’t rush it Gil.

Favorite player: I’ll take Arenas.

29) Sacramento: Jason Thompson is something decent to look at.

Favorite player: The entire squad from the early 2000’s was a blast to watch. I’ll take Jason Williams from that crew. His highlights below:



Memphis: They get my vote for the next NBA franchise to move.

Favorite player: I guess Pau Gasol.

No comments: