Thursday, March 12, 2009

Random Observations and a Crush of the Day






Hey everyone, hope you’re doing will in your life. I’m doing well. My professional life is keeping me very occupied but its been fine. As long as I have my alone times and am able to relax and reflect like right now, it is all good in my world. Lets hit on some Random Observations.

First, to that anonymous person who laughed at me for looking like Al Roker, if I run into you in a dark alley, I will take you out with an omoplata (look it up if you don’t know) and then end it with some ground and pound, old-school style.

Actually, I’m not mad at that. However, don’t leave anonymous posts. At least make up a creative code name that you and your buddies will only get.

Music to listen to: Genesis with Abacab


I know that I keep putting Yes and Genesis songs on this blog like I’m a 50 year old man and I know that half of these songs were done before I was even born, but they speak to me and relax me. Hope they do the same for you.

-Crush of the Day: Eliza Dushku



She’s an underrated hottie for several years now. I’ve been meaning to see her new show Dollhouse but it comes on every Friday night and that’s a bad time for me with baseball season. I remember her most from Buffy the Vampire Slayer like most in my generation but she was also good in Bring it On and many other projects. She fits my requirements for looks, age and other things. Respect to her. She might crack my top-five bench, speaking of which…

-I know that all of you are waiting for my updated top-five and it will be done within the next few weeks. But I want this to be interactive, so I’m willing to take suggestions from each of you about who I should include. I’m always open to suggestions. I will say this though, the Peoples’ Champion wants me to include Jessica Simpson and Minka Kelly. There is no chance that Jessica will ever make the list. She has the looks but the other stuff will not even come close. Minka is cute but she has to do more work.

-I’ve enjoyed watching all of the conference tournaments for men’s basketball the past week and a half. Its always enjoyable to sit in the office and see everyone playing. However, one thing that has been bugging me, actually two things.

1) I seriously dislike having these tournaments in domes. All of these arenas look half empty and it takes away from the atmosphere. I was watching the Georgia Tech/Clemson game this afternoon and it sounded like no one was there. Even watching Arkansas and Florida at this moment, two teams with strong fan bases, the arena atmosphere seems bland. The Big East, Big 12, Pac-10 and even the Big 10 do it properly among the big conferences with the proper type of arena.

2) Can we just pick one location for each tournament. Here’s where I would have the tournament every year from the major conferences and some other ones as well that I know how they operate.

Big East: New York City at Madison Square Garden. Perfect city, perfect arena, destination spot for all of the fans and media members. I’m glad that they haven’t been tempted to move this thing to Boston when Boston College was in the conference or Philadelphia.

SEC: Atlanta at Phillips Arena. Why the heck is the tournament in Tampa, Fla. this year in a dome. What a joke. The football championship is already in Atlanta, everyone likes to go there, easy to get to, etc. It’s the unofficial center of the SEC and they keep moving it to Nashville and Tampa and that’s just not going to work.
ACC: Greensboro, N.C. I was talking with the Sager and Mr. McMahon today about this because they support ACC schools. I told them that I think that the reason that they don’t have it in Greensboro every year is to make it seem like the conference isn’t North Carolina-centric. Not the school, the entire state. However, it is what it is, especially when it comes to basketball. That tournament is all about playing that championship game on Sunday afternoon at the Greensboro Arena. I still remember seeing Wake Forest make that run to win the tournament and see Randolph Childress carry that team to the title. I’m not even a fan of that school and I still remember that. You’re not going to get that at the Georgia Dome.

Big 10: Conseco Fieldhouse in Indy. They have it right.

Pac-10: Staples Arena in LA. Perfect.

Big 12: It’s a tie between the Ford Center in Oklahoma City where this year’s tournament is being held and Kansas City. Both locations are solid.

Mountain West: Its always in Vegas, keep it that way.

Atlantic Sun: Nashville, Tenn. At the Curb Event Center (yes, I know that’s a cheap pop but its true).

Southern Conference: Charleston, S.C. Why was this year’s tournament held in Chattanooga, Tenn. Someone needs to explain that one to me. Charleston is a destination spot for everyone to come to and it just works.

Atlantic 10: Atlantic City, N.J. Love it.

MAAC: Love that its in Albany, N.Y. every year. For my southern readers and I think most of you are, the MAAC is like the Atlantic Sun or OVC of the Northeast. All of the schools are similar in size and even religious affiliations. My school of choice was Iona College and even St. Peter’s because of my high school Latin teacher. Yes, I studied Latin in school.

America East, NEC, Patriot and some others: I like that the championship game is held at the arena of the higher seed. It would hurt the economics to hold an entire tournament in a neutral site for these small conferences. Furthermore, it looks cool on TV to see those games and it must be a blast to attend.

Ivy League: And finally, the only conference I think that doesn’t have a conference tournament and I get that and respect it. I like to reward the regular season as well. I don’t take as much stock into the conference tournaments as some others may.
I don’t think that an average team can win a game or two in the tourney and all of a sudden they’re NCAA Tournament worthy. I also don’t think that a really good team should be penalized for one loss. For this year, I don’t think that Pittsburgh, Connecticut (if they lose, which they are as I’m typing this), Oklahoma, Kansas and even when North Carolina plays tomorrow should have their seeds dropped significantly by losing the first game of their conference tournaments. Their body of work in the regular season shows how good they are.

Can’t wait to do my do’s and don’ts for filling out your NCAA bracket next week.

-Just watched an episode of ER and it reminded me of how good of a show that was when it was in its peak. Its actually not a bad show right now. When it was the best show on television for a good five-six year run, it was a pleasure to watch. I’ll do my ode to it when its over in a month. Speaking of tonight’s episode…

-Not to give it away, but the episode was about a brain dead teenage kid and his grandmother (played by the awesome Susan Sarandon) having do decide if she was going to let him die and donate his body organs. Well, she does (crap, that gave it away), and it was sad and all of that stuff.

It made me think about this. When I die and trust me, that day is coming, I want all of my body parts to be used for transplants. What good is my heart going to be in the grave. Give away my eyes, bones, limbs, tendons, kidneys, liver, lungs, brain, give it all away. I’d want to help someone else live life and its also creepy for my liver to be in someone else and that’s cool.

-Just saw Dumb and Dumber the other day and it still holds up. Funniest movie of the 1990’s? Discuss.

-I’ve finally watched all of the episodes of Rob Dyrdek’s Fantasy Factory on MTV and while Rob and Big was the buddy show of this generation, Fantasy Factory is pretty darn funny as well. I haven’t laughed out loud so much in a long time . Love it.

-OK, that’s it for now. This wasn’t supposed to be as long as it was but when I start writing, I just keep going. Talk to y’all later.

No comments: