Saturday, March 7, 2009

MMA Review

Hey everyone, its time for that MMA Review. Let’s get to it.

-UFC 96 looks like an OK card that I won’t actually see because of work. However, if I wasn’t occupied with that, I would probably pay for it to see the fights.

The main event of Rampage against Jardine is intriguing, even thought the fight honestly doesn’t make sense. We’ve been told or can assume that this was supposed to be Rampage vs. Rashad Evans but the champ wasn’t able to do it physically, which is ok I guess.

The conspiracy theorist out there have said that the Rampage/Evans fight isn’t happening right now because Rampage has some legal issues to take care of and the last thing that the UFC needs is their light heavy champion in jail. So to keep the events moving, we get this fight today.

I think that Jardine is a good fighter, has a unique style and all that stuff, but Rampage is the better fighter. I also thing that Rampage is focused on getting hit title back and he knows that this is the first step towards that path.

The other fight from this card that holds interest is Shane Carwin vs. Gabriel Gonzaga. I like this fight because it presents value to each fighter. Carwin gets to step his game up and face elite competition. Gonzaga will face an individual who others are acknowledging is a potential champion and by defeating him, he becomes a prime candidate to face the winner of Mir vs. Lesner II.

We know a lot about Gonzaga but less about Carwin. We know that Carwin will be the larger guy and probably more explosive but Gonzaga is more experienced and skilled. I’ll take the veteran in this one.

-The pay-per-view that I’m really looking forward to is UFC 98 which will have Mir vs. Lesner II and finally, Serra vs. Hughes.

I must preface this that Serra and Mir are two of my favorite fighters, along with B.J. Penn and Rampage, so my interest in these fights are of course very high.

-Good to see the UFC going to Germany. Wandy vs. Rich Franklin is one that I’ll have to warm myself up to honestly.

-Not to make this UFC-centric, I’m actually looking forward to the Bobby Lashley and Ken Shamrock fight.

OK, short MMA Review. Just wanted to get a thought or two out there for y’all. Later

No comments: